Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do BA still have Korean speaking cabin crew?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG

My parents in law are flying, much to their chagrin, BA to visit the UK.

It will be their first time flying BA and I was wondering if BA has any Korean speaking crew / Korean food on the ICN flights?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663

It will be their first time flying BA and I was wondering if BA has any Korean speaking crew / Korean food on the ICN flights?
I believe that the answer is yes to both questions.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

So why are they so chagrined? A couple of years ago, the was a feeding frenzy of people flying BA when the route started and they charged £777 as memory serves.

Oddly enough I don't remember reading one complaint.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I believe the few Korean speaking cabin crew have mostly left or on strike, I wouldn't hold out much hope of any of them being on your parents flight.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Just to be clear, on MF, BA has employed language speakers based in London rather than international bases. So it depends on whether a Korean language speaker is available for your flight. CIHY may be able to tell me this, but I understand on WW, cabin crew can't be rostered due to language skills (so for instance BA couldn't keep sending London-based Arabic speakers to Doha if BA closed BAH base) but on MF, crew are specifically recruited as language speakers, so are rostered in this way?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Correct, MF language speakers can be rostered for language skills but WW and EF cannot.
I believe that MF have only recruited Korean and Japanese speakers but many have left due to the poor compensation BA offer for these skills.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Correct, MF language speakers can be rostered for language skills but WW and EF cannot.
I believe that MF have only recruited Korean and Japanese speakers but many have left due to the poor compensation BA offer for these skills.
Quelle surprise. Thanks CIHY ^
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So why are they so chagrined? A couple of years ago, the was a feeding frenzy of people flying BA when the route started and they charged £777 as memory serves.

I would be as well.

Having travelled this route many many times, the service on BA is particular sub-par compared to the service on KE or OZ. Particularly for Koreans, it is a very noticeable difference.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

And the sale of Si masks also jumped markedly.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

Cancel and re-book them with QR ICN-DOH-XXX! Without exaggeration probably 80% of my QR flights have female Korean (South, not North ) cabin crew - and at the risk of being labelled sexist some of them are damn hot.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Silver
Never flown long haul to ICN but I did enjoy the bibimbap on my HKG-ICN-ULN trip on KE.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:03 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by citygourmande
Never flown long haul to ICN but I did enjoy the bibimbap on my HKG-ICN-ULN trip on KE.

I spend a lot of time in Korea - off again on Tuesday, and Bibimbap is the one dish I've never taken to...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:11 am
Suspended

OZ have a business class special fare £1999 through trailfinders.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Yes, there are very few U.K. Based Korean cabin crew.
They could be on a flight which has one but often none are available unfortunately.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:36 am

Could Finnair be an option? Always 2-4 Seoul-based cabin crew, Korean food and the most important signs at Helsinki airport are also in Korean (e.g. how to find the transfer security).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.