Wiki Posts
Search

Legality of children alone in row?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Clearly you've never been a plane with me and Jamier45
If I ever want a rendition of "Let it Go" sung in a first class cabin I know who to call
Wozza2404 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Might have been one parent, three kids. Not ideal, but would explain in that I wouldn't want my young child seated alone next to strangers.

OP, any idea where the parent(s) was/were sat?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
How do parents book into a different cabin to young children?

They would have to be on separate PNRs - does BA allow a booking to contain three toddlers and no adult on the PNR?

How would this affect an IRROPS if either the adult or the child was "rescheduled"?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
How do parents book into a different cabin to young children?

They would have to be on separate PNRs - does BA allow a booking to contain three toddlers and no adult on the PNR?

How would this affect an IRROPS if either the adult or the child was "rescheduled"?
Where are you seeing that the adults were in a different cabin? It isn't clear where the adults were.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...avel-documents

All children under 12 years must be accompanied by an adult aged 16 years or over. You won't be able to make a booking for a child to travel on their own.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems no rules were broken and as we don't know where the parents were seated there's no point in judging them until we do.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Some of you see this as a safety risk. I see this as a business opportunity for BA.

For long distance flights can't we just seal off a couple of rows, call it 'creche class' and let the lovely kiddiwinks play between themselves? The cabin crew could just leave a few bottles of coca cola and buckets of e-number fuelled sweets for them to keep themselves fed and watered whilst they watch a loop of Peppa Pig on the IFE for 10 hours?

Meanwhile all the parents are kept in the rows at the back of the plane, provided with some full bottles of wines and diazepam so they can have a well deserved rest safe in the knowledge that other passengers are keeping an eye on their loved ones?
Calchas and Low Roller like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA
Where are you seeing that the adults were in a different cabin? It isn't clear where the adults were.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...avel-documents
Sorry, I was referring to point 10 where another poster had said they'd seen it.

But more generally my question is more "is it possible to..." in terms of booking an adult in J and three toddlers in Y?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:18 am

It's stated at the end of the page:-

Booking a child into a different cabin from yourself

You can book your child to travel in a different cabin from yourself. Just make your booking first, then contact us to make a separate booking for your child.

Children between 5 and 12 can be booked into a different cabin from you.
Children under 5 must travel with someone over the age of 16.
If you are a Gold or Silver Executive Club Member, you can take your child into the lounge as your eligible guest, regardless of the cabin you're travelling in.
You should board the aircraft as a family, with your child. Once on board your child will be directed to their seat in the cabin that they are booked into.
You, as the child’s parent or guardian, will be responsible for their health, wellbeing and behaviour, both on the ground and on board. Please ensure that your child understands that they must follow crew instructions at all times and make sure they have any necessary items with them before boarding as it may not always be possible for you to visit them during the flight.
Should your child need any assistance during the flight, you will need to voluntarily downgrade to the same cabin as your child. We are unable to upgrade your child to the cabin you’re travelling in.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I assume the parents were thinking that they would have a quieter and more enjoyable flight if they didn't have to deal with their children
Haha good one! Maybe!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by lavajava
Children between 5 and 12 can be booked into a different cabin from you.
Children under 5 must travel with someone over the age of 16.
If you are a Gold or Silver Executive Club Member, you can take your child into the lounge as your eligible guest, regardless of the cabin you're travelling in.
You should board the aircraft as a family, with your child. Once on board your child will be directed to their seat in the cabin that they are booked into.
You, as the child’s parent or guardian, will be responsible for their health, wellbeing and behaviour, both on the ground and on board. Please ensure that your child understands that they must follow crew instructions at all times and make sure they have any necessary items with them before boarding as it may not always be possible for you to visit them during the flight.
Should your child need any assistance during the flight, you will need to voluntarily downgrade to the same cabin as your child. We are unable to upgrade your child to the cabin you’re travelling in.
Hmmmm. 5 seems mightily young. I was on a (day) flight to JFK earlier this year with my kids and my 4yr old (now almost 5) was sat in the E seat, with me in the K, so I was slightly ahead of him. I noticed the CC smirking at him, and an older lady in 1A turn around and look down the cabin laughing just after take off. I take off my NC headphones and, mortifyingly, The Boy is singing along to "Ooo be do" by King Louie on his headphones, blissfully unaware he's serenading the entire cabin.

Absolutely no way he could be trusted not to get up to mischief (albeit unintentionally) in a different cabin).

That being said, where do you set that bar? 12 would be an obvious choice, though most would consider their 10/11 yr olds perfectly capable of behaving. 8, perhaps? 5 just seems rather low to me?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:19 pm

Hmmmm. 5 seems mightily young. I was on a (day) flight to JFK earlier this year with my kids and my 4yr old (now almost 5) was sat in the E seat, with me in the K, so I was slightly ahead of him. I noticed the CC smirking at him, and an older lady in 1A turn around and look down the cabin laughing just after take off. I take off my NC headphones and, mortifyingly, The Boy is singing along to "Ooo be do" by King Louie on his headphones, blissfully unaware he's serenading the entire cabin.

Absolutely no way he could be trusted not to get up to mischief (albeit unintentionally) in a different cabin).

That being said, where do you set that bar? 12 would be an obvious choice, though most would consider their 10/11 yr olds perfectly capable of behaving. 8, perhaps? 5 just seems rather low to me?
Couldn't believe what I was reading on BA.com. Yes agreed 5 seems too young.

Love the story of your boy singing to the cabin
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Some of you see this as a safety risk. I see this as a business opportunity for BA.

For long distance flights can't we just seal off a couple of rows, call it 'creche class' and let the lovely kiddiwinks play between themselves? The cabin crew could just leave a few bottles of coca cola and buckets of e-number fuelled sweets for them to keep themselves fed and watered whilst they watch a loop of Peppa Pig on the IFE for 10 hours?

Meanwhile all the parents are kept in the rows at the back of the plane, provided with some full bottles of wines and diazepam so they can have a well deserved rest safe in the knowledge that other passengers are keeping an eye on their loved ones?
Except the parents being further foreward in J and F, will be loathe to wait to disembark, and thus refuse to allow their little darlings to be anywhere except first 5rows of the Y cabin, said first 5rows of seats are in great demand, so can't be blocked off as creche
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by lavajava
Couldn't believe what I was reading on BA.com. Yes agreed 5 seems too young.

Love the story of your boy singing to the cabin
I'd be interested to see an FT poll on this.

1) How old is 'old enough' to travel in a different cabin to parents.
2) Should children be allowed to travel more than one cabin back from where parents are sitting?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:57 am

I'd be interested to see an FT poll on this.

1) How old is 'old enough' to travel in a different cabin to parents.
2) Should children be allowed to travel more than one cabin back from where parents are sitting?
Time to start one maybe?

3) Should children be allowed to travel in a class higher than their parents on their own (Child in F, Parents in J?) and if so how would an issue be dealt with (Would the parents gets upgraded to F or the Child downgraded to J).

I would also be interested to know if there is an issue that means the parents have to go look after their child, what happens when the cabin is full - do the parents give up their seat to someone else/swap?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.