Legality of children alone in row?

Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Legality of children alone in row?

BA flight BRU-LHR. A319. Three toddlers around the ages of 4 to 5 in a row of three on their own. Surely this illegal due to not being able to put on an oxygen mask themselves.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There are no rules that disallow this, what were the parents thinking?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
There are no rules that disallow this, what were the parents thinking?
I assume the parents were thinking that they would have a quieter and more enjoyable flight if they didn't have to deal with their children
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I assume the parents were thinking that they would have a quieter and more enjoyable flight if they didn't have to deal with their children
Maybe the parents were in up in business class.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How did they behave and were their parents seated close to them? If so, then it makes sense for the three to be seated together.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:06 pm

From the CAA:

Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by gingeola
From the CAA:
"should ideally" is the terminology - not really an indicator that this is the way it has to be.

Still, not great from the parents.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:14 pm

If the kids are no more than a few rows in front of or behind the parents and the parents frequently watch them, everything should be all right.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The point the OP was making is in an emergency decompression there would be nobody to help these children put on their oxygen masks.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:18 pm

I just took a flight where three kids under 10 were in the row behind me in WT+. Dad was in CW and didn't once check on the kids, not even to settle them in their seats initially. They just pushed forward on arrival to get to his seat.

Seemed very poor form to me to leave the kids to fend for themselves for 6 hours. They were no trouble though.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by toddhicks209
If the kids are no more than a few rows in front of or behind the parents and the parents frequently watch them, everything should be all right.
Unless there's an explosive decompression, in which case they could watch their children struggling, prompting them to leave their own row and risk passing out. A rare and unlucky event, but why risk it? Basic duty of care - sit next to your young child on an aeroplane.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toddhicks209
Welcome to FlyerTalk toddhicks209!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: United 1K
If this really was a big concern, you wouldn't be hearing all the complaints of airlines charging to ensure parents can sit even close to their kids.
To those who say "why risk it?"... It is simply a question of likelihood VS $$$... The chances are so small the airlines are quite happy to charge parents for the luxury of sitting with their little ones. I have 3 kids and they have flown all in one row many times. My wife and I prefer it.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptHolic
If this really was a big concern, you wouldn't be hearing all the complaints of airlines charging to ensure parents can sit even close to their kids.
To those who say "why risk it?"... It is simply a question of likelihood VS $$$... The chances are so small the airlines are quite happy to charge parents for the luxury of sitting with their little ones. I have 3 kids and they have flown all in one row many times. My wife and I prefer it.
BA ensure an under 12 year old sits next to an adult, so no need to pay.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat

To get the best choice of seats and make sure your family sits together, its best to reserve your seats in advance, for which you might have to pay.

If you dont reserve your seats in advance, well do our best to seat your family together a few days before your flight departs. However, the seat selection may be limited at that time and your seats may be split across different rows or the aisle. We will make sure each child under 12 years sits next to an adult from your booking but children over 12 years are booked as an adult in our system and may sit separately.

Seats are free when you travel with an infant, (under 2 years) who won't be travelling in a seat of their own. You can choose a seat for you and everyone in your booking, free of charge, as soon as you've made your booking (except for bookings of over 9 people).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
BA ensure an under 12 year old sits next to an adult, so no need to pay.
Unfortunately I know from first hand experience this is not always the case - couple of years back my then six year old was seated away from both parents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.