Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nosiness at First Check-in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Well I certainly feel that status has correlated to frequency if op-ups in the past for me.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by baflyer999
Does CCR status really generate a number of op ups - and to clarify is this for the card holder or their partner? In the last few years, the only upgrades I've ever had have been once a year, from ET to CE, and only when travelling on a fully flex ticket purchased at the last minute. I'm normally on corporate fares and tend to get diddly squat. Never had a long haul upgrade
As others have said, you will notice no difference at all on the ground, other than having access to a few slightly better lounges or bars. Since qualifying for GGL/CCR, the only flying-related change for me has also been a big increase in the number of upgrades, including double upgrades as well - though this is likely due to the routes and days I fly (Friday/Saturday flights to SIN, HKG, ICN, TYO in Y or W mainly).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
To be fair, I'm able to account for almost all the CCRs that post on FT very regularly, since I've generally met them at some point. There are only a few shy ones that I've not encountered yet.
I look forward to introducing myself to you at some point, CWS. I've seen you in the CCR a couple of times, having recognised you from the photos you've posted on here previously. If that doesn't sound too stalkerish!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I was not expecting to learn how to tell ravens from crows here, although I have been trying to find an easy way to tell them apart so this is rather useful, as it happens.
The big clue is the fact that ravens go around in pairs or singles, crows go around in much larger flocks. Hence the Gaelic saying, "Raven, seek thy brother".
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
The fact is BA will prefer to upgrade a Silver into CW/F if they have recently flown a few legs in WTP or CW to try and get them to start buying the higher cabin.

I had a CCR card for a couple of years and didn't get a single upgrade (generally flying paid CW). Once I dropped down to 'normal' GGL, I've had a couple of upgrades to F.
I was Gold for about 3 years before becoming CCR/GGL and only had 1 opup. In the 6 years since I got CCR, I've had about 1 in 3 flights upgraded, mostly long haul J to F but occasionally short haul also.

When I was Silver I got a couple opups from WT+ to J.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bullroot
I was Gold for about 3 years before becoming CCR/GGL and only had 1 opup. In the 6 years since I got CCR, I've had about 1 in 3 flights upgraded, mostly long haul J to F but occasionally short haul also.

When I was Silver I got a couple opups from WT+ to J.
I think this is SO route and date dependent - I fairly frequently end up with a J to F opup to/from asia and have had a few W to J on TATL trips but never J to F TATL.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Regarding op-ups, in the many years prior to GGL I was 0 for X. Since reaching GGL/CCR, I've mostly flown in flights without an option to be upgraded (e.g. Already in F or CE), but on flights where an op-up was possible, I'm 2 for 2 between LHR and PHX (CW-F), 0 for 2 between LHR and JFK (CW) and 0 for 1 on shorthaul (AMS-LGW, but was traveling with my family and would never expect 5 to be op-uped). Overall between op-ups, jokers and GUF it's meant that I've mostly flown in F instead of CW.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
To be fair, I'm able to account for almost all the CCRs that post on FT very regularly, since I've generally met them at some point. There are only a few shy ones that I've not encountered yet.
Count me among the shy, non-regular posters with a CCR who hasn't met cws

I'm based between Austria and Spain so I'm not at Heathrow all that often but in future I'll make a point of saying hello if I see someone with a coffee mug

As for the op-ups, I've noticed no increase at all (from a very low base) since attaining CCR. I've had one in the last year, LHR-LBA, which I suspect may have been a case of giving me a taste of the new service to see if I might pay for CE on domestic flights in future.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sirkay
I've had one in the last year, LHR-LBA, which I suspect may have been a case of giving me a taste of the new service to see if I might pay for CE on domestic flights in future.
What????? Here I am going on that route every week and never an OpUp!!!!

I am not bitter
aks120, BA5E, dylanks and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by sirkay
Count me among the shy, non-regular posters with a CCR who hasn't met cws

I'm based between Austria and Spain so I'm not at Heathrow all that often but in future I'll make a point of saying hello if I see someone with a coffee mug

As for the op-ups, I've noticed no increase at all (from a very low base) since attaining CCR. I've had one in the last year, LHR-LBA, which I suspect may have been a case of giving me a taste of the new service to see if I might pay for CE on domestic flights in future.
Same here (shy, non-regular poster) however in the CCR almost every week but have never spotted the black mug or any other FT'ers as I still need to attend a Do to be able to recognise you....

Regarding op-ups, no difference from when I was Gold, this year just 1 or 2 so far.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I was not expecting to learn how to tell ravens from crows here, although I have been trying to find an easy way to tell them apart so this is rather useful, as it happens.
Not ravens, but I was taught that if you see lots of crows together, they are rooks, and if you see a rook on its own, its a crow
offtothehills likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
In flight, tail is wedge vs fan (crow) (assuming european raven)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Given the number of threads here historically, and the number of insiders generous enough to share their time and insight into the workings behind the assorted curtains (literal and figurative), surely the process behind op-ups has been done to death elsewhere?

Not a criticism, I am just assuming there is actually a formula somewhere, however prosaic it is, albeit with a juducious amount of leeway given to check-in and gate staff, and that this scoring system, or whatever it is, is known, at least in general terms, to some of the posters here/???
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Not a criticism, I am just assuming there is actually a formula somewhere, however prosaic it is, albeit with a juducious amount of leeway given to check-in and gate staff, and that this scoring system, or whatever it is, is known, at least in general terms, to some of the posters here/???
The leeway for staff is close to zero, a combination of DUT and FLY means that some "thing" decides upgrades. And for all my investigations, I actually haven't much of a clue how it works, and dare I suggest this: nor does anyone else on here. Some anecdotes posted here I know to be wrong, but ultimately - and correctly - we can't second guess this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:29 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I count for one of the shy ones, albeit I can often be found in Doha at the Al Safwa Lounge.

Perhaps we should do a Lounge Swap - we each spend a week in the alternative domain.

Must dash - Channel 5 are on the phone for the format

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.