Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another lounge etiquette moan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've been on an Emirates flight in J that featured a British Stag Do en-route to the Maldives (seriously). The 8 or so in J got trollied, kept smuggling champagne to their poorer friends in Y and started a food fight that saw a Japanese Businessman get hit by a canape (fortunately it was a very lightly loaded cabin, but the crew didn't know how to handle them). Part of me was amused and part of me wanted to report them and get them 'met' off the plane in Dubai. I knew they were heading to the Maldives as I chatted to one of them to make sure they weren't on my onward flight. Who the hell has a stag do in the Maldives?!?

Boorish behaviour certainly isn't restricted to Y class pax heading to Prague paying £15 for a few shots of whisky!
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I've been on an Emirates flight in J that featured a British Stag Do en-route to the Maldives (seriously). The 8 or so in J got trollied, kept smuggling champagne to their poorer friends in Y and started a food fight that saw a Japanese Businessman get hit by a canape (fortunately it was a very lightly loaded cabin, but the crew didn't know how to handle them). Part of me was amused and part of me wanted to report them and get them 'met' off the plane in Dubai. I knew they were heading to the Maldives as I chatted to one of them to make sure they weren't on my onward flight. Who the hell has a stag do in the Maldives?!?

Boorish behaviour certainly isn't restricted to Y class pax heading to Prague paying £15 for a few shots of whisky!
People with a lot of money to waste and who have no clue what they are doing.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You don't half post some rubbish
Well, at least I can thank my lucky star's I am not of the same nationality as these trouble makers and can walk with my head held high.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by wolf72
People with a lot of money to waste and who have no clue what they are doing.
Or people with no money at all who think they can deal with their credit card debt later.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sam Bee

Certain US based airlines would have had them spending the stag weekend in jail. You and the other J cabin members let them off easy
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:24 am

A group of lads at the non-Schengen lounge in Warsaw the other day, similar (ish) behaviour but with plenty of foul language in the mix. Surprisingly, not a single member of staff approached them until a chap decided to have a go (politely) telling them to stop swearing as there were families with kids, to which he got a loud f**k off from nearly all members of the party. After not even 5 minutes, a member of staff appeared with a policeman and told them (literally) "The next f-word and you'll be in a van to the police station". Needless to say, they calmed down.

G
LTN Phobia and lostinlondon like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
A group of lads at the non-Schengen lounge in Warsaw the other day, similar (ish) behaviour but with plenty of foul language in the mix. Surprisingly, not a single member of staff approached them until a chap decided to have a go (politely) telling them to stop swearing as there were families with kids, to which he got a loud f**k off from nearly all members of the party. After not even 5 minutes, a member of staff appeared with a policeman and told them (literally) "The next f-word and you'll be in a van to the police station". Needless to say, they calmed down.

G
That shut them up real quick!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I suspect you meant trawl, but the irony in the word you did type is beautiful.
There is really nothing ironic in what I typed if you understand English, but you're forgiven to mixup troll and trawl.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
.... and please, please, please, when the lounge is absolutely full, it's bums on seats, not bags and coats. (Moan after a very full BWI lounge last night...).
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by travelwithross
I really have to laugh at this.
Just because these 4 guys came into a lounge, and decided to have a wee drink - everyone is very quick to cast aspersions. Jesus wept - all they did was take a few bottles of booze, some ice, and have (what sounds like) a jolly wee drink.

I don't see anything AT ALL different from what these guys did, than what lots of you do every day, week, or month in say the CCR or Flounge, where you all sit with "your pals" and quaff back champagne, cocktails and god knows what else, laughing, chatting, and having a good time.

No different.

You all need to give yourselves a good shake, stop judging people, and thinking the world owes you all etiquette, standards and morals. It doesn't.
You may not, but I do. Their behaviour was selfish, inconsiderate, and boorish. If they wanted A “wee drink” they could have served themselves from the bar and not appropriate everything for themselves.

I have never ever witnessed anyone taking a bottle of Champagne, or any other drinks to their table. I have never seen anyone take the food, ice or anything else. The OP should have had to go and ask for something to which she was as entitled as they were.

I have no idea what they had been doing in Warsaw and neither do I care. What I care about are people who impose on others by snatching everything for themselves with a sense of entitlement.
T8191, Padmeister, 'andad and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
Typical trollish behaviour by those trying to justify this loutish behaviour and accusing the OP of having a stick up his a**e. It may seem to some like 'minor bad behaviour', but not everyone would feel confident approaching a table of drunken lads to ask for some of the booze they have commandeered. And why should they? Sadly some people get carried away when there is unlimited alcohol on tap, but this is a step too far. Typical internet that this is even something that people will argue over.
BadgerBoi and gypsyjaney like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Thursday morning this week (16 Nov), T 5 Galleries First, 9am. Gent in a business suit picks up a bottle of red, and takes it "outside" onto the terrace area of of the lounge. I am there on layover, killing time and see him proceed to pour (decant?) the entire bottle into several smaller bottles which he had obviously brought with him. He then placed the smaller bottles individually into plastic bags (presumably to hedge against leaks) in his carry on baggage for the onward journey. Don't know whether this is merely a bona fide lounge etiquette transgression, or the symptom of an alcoholic battling his demons, or both. Please get help sir.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rowingman
Thursday morning this week (16 Nov), T 5 Galleries First, 9am. Gent in a business suit picks up a bottle of red, and takes it "outside" onto the terrace area of of the lounge. I am there on layover, killing time and see him proceed to pour (decant?) the entire bottle into several smaller bottles which he had obviously brought with him. He then placed the smaller bottles individually into plastic bags (presumably to hedge against leaks) in his carry on baggage for the onward journey. Don't know whether this is merely a bona fide lounge etiquette transgression, or the symptom of an alcoholic battling his demons, or both. Please get help sir.
Did the gent have his own funnel (to avoid spills / getting his small bottles wet). And yes I have seen funnels used to 'purloin' lounge spirits/wine
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rowingman
For my curiosity (because I really do not understand this) was he trying to be discrete about it (and you just happened to have a good viewing angle) or was he uncaring and doing it clearly in the open?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
T5 GF - Phone Etiquettes

Trying to enjoy my Bacon Cheeseburger in peace. Not happening.!! 1 guy has paved up and down the main thoroughfare at least 30 times talking down his phone in French. So disrespectful of others.

If if you need to make a call, make it short please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.