Another lounge etiquette moan

Old Aug 10, 17, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hotels.com Gold
Another lounge etiquette moan

This particular complaint about the behaviour of my fellow passengers took place at the Menzies lounge in Prague airport on Monday afternoon, but we were all travelling on a BA flight so I think it goes here. I hope I haven't missed a general thread for these.

The lounge has a small free-pour bar with eight bottles of spirits on a shelf: one vodka, one gin, one scotch, Jack Daniels, a Baileys-substitute, Czech Becherovka, a rum, one other thing. Only one bottle of each type of spirit. Next to that is a fridge containing cold cuts along with some mini bottles of white wine, a single bottle of sparkling sekt and a bucket of ice cubes for general use.

We were settled down in the lounge when four British chaps, possibly a stag party, turned up with some noise and claimed a table near the bar area. When I got up to refresh our drinks I noticed that they'd claimed the bottles of vodka, scotch and JD for themselves and taken them to their table, leaving the bar half-empty.

Internally outraged at this I decided I would have a scotch myself, despite it being mid-afternoon, so went over and nicely (I promise!) asked for the bottle back. I poured myself one and returned the bottle to the bar where it belonged. I then realised that not only had they appropriated half the drinks for their table's private consumption, but they'd also taken the whole ice container from the fridge and had that on their table too, melting slowly. So I had to go back over to them and ask for that too, and returned it to the fridge, hopefully somewhat pointedly.

I actually thought the ice bit was worse - not only (like the spirits) semi-hiding it and making other patrons have to approach a loud, drunk bunch of lads to ask for stuff, but with the ice melting rendering it unusable for anyone else just because they couldn't be bothered to have to go to the fridge.

Clearly my point was lost on them as half an hour later my husband had to do the same. This time they'd taken the single bottle of sekt to their table too, again letting it go warm and flat. They suggested he might want to pour himself two glasses of it, as otherwise they were going to drink it all. How generous of them!

They must have been status holders as they were in ET for the flight, so any charitable thoughts that perhaps they were flying business for the first time and excited to be in a lounge were gone.

No wonder we have a terrible reputation in stag do hot spots like Prague!
Old Aug 10, 17, 7:13 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Crowd behaviour. Often turns people into [email protected] It's not 'lounge etiquette' per se - it's just boorishness.
Wembleygal and geerat like this.
Old Aug 10, 17, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sounds awful. It doesn't really matter one way or another but I would say they don't necessarily have status - various lounge cards, vouchers, promotions and membership schemes (and often cash) can be used to enter these types of lounges.
Old Aug 10, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
I usually am a shy person and I do not even drink that sort of alcohol*, but in this case I would have go to any lounge official representative to complain.
Those 4 people were affecting everyone in the lounge, taking selfishly for themselves the limited "public" bottles (and ice) left for general consumption.

Originally Posted by gingerlucy View Post
They must have been status holders as they were in ET for the flight, so any charitable thoughts that perhaps they were flying business for the first time and excited to be in a lounge were gone.

From what I read you can pay to access the lounge, so it's not so automatic they were status holder.

*just wine and beer
Old Aug 10, 17, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Such unsavoury behaviour doesn't surprise me really. This plan of retaliatory action against the enemy by BAEC status holders flying on BoB flights has been well documented on here.
Old Aug 10, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton/Marriott/SPG Gold
This kind of behaviour is not on by anyone's standards. Unfortunately that lounge in Prague is shared by a number of carriers and boorish behaviour is the norm; it doesn't help that it's tiny!
Old Aug 10, 17, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Barbarians at the gate!
Old Aug 10, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by gingerlucy View Post
This particular complaint about the behaviour of my fellow passengers took place at the Menzies lounge in Prague ..............

We were settled down in the lounge when four British chaps, possibly a stag party ......................

A terrible reputation indeed - and yes, hardly surprising when Brits can behave in this thoroughly boorish, selfish manner.

Not so sure about the 'status holders' assumption, simply because (as touched on by Lefly above), this particular lounge is, AFAIK, a pay-to-enter facility. In which case there's every chance they thought it worth shelling out some cash after doing the maths on just how much booze they could guzzle down
Old Aug 10, 17, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Maybe OP should have joined the group at the table? Positive social interaction would probably have done more for their emotional well being than being passive aggressive and then complaining on the internet.
Old Aug 10, 17, 10:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I think this is rather more than a moan. This is a legitimate complaint about nuisance--behavior of one or more people that affects the quiet enjoyment of everyone else in the lounge.

Though my Brit-Canadian response to many of these sort of things is to mutter darkly and inaudibly, "tut-tut," the scenario presented by the OP would be sufficient to get me on my feet and seeking the intervention of the lounge dragon.
Old Aug 10, 17, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ AC*SE - agree, this warranted the intervention of lounge staff as much - if not more - as any ill-mannered lounge behaviour I've heard of or witnessed.
Old Aug 10, 17, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Completely unacceptable behaviour, of course.

It seems likely that these men knew full well what they were doing was wrong, but were doing it anyway -- in that situation no amount of tutting or implicit disapproval will deter them. It's disappointing that the lounge staff did not pick up on the (presumably quite obvious) misbehaviour and deal with it proactively.
Old Aug 10, 17, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Why did you ask them for a drink instead of telling them to stop acting like clowns? All you've done is empowered them further and made them think what they did was fine.

It's one thing to complain about something after having exhausted your options, it's another to complain without having taken any action at all. Sorry, but there is no sympathy to be given here.
Old Aug 10, 17, 11:22 am

Programs: United Gold, AAdvantage Plat Pro, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Totally agree this is way beyond the bounds of "etiquette" - I would have taken the things back and also made a complaint to the dragon.

I'm a regular in PRG and love the city. Really sad that the British have the worst reputation of all visitors (amongst the Czechs), even below the Russians.
Old Aug 10, 17, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Such unsavoury behaviour doesn't surprise me really. This plan of retaliatory action against the enemy by BAEC status holders flying on BoB flights has been well documented on here.
Is Menzies the enemy now? You should have said.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: