Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T3-T5 F connection - which option?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by DocS
OTish but what's the best route for doing this the other way round? Arriving into T5 ex CAI with a short connection to AA from T3. Thanks
How short? If under 75 minutes I usually go the bus route, otherwise I clear the border and go landside.

Similarly for T3 to T5, unless a tight connection I clear the border at T3 as I prefer the HEX or Tube over standing on the bus and waiting in the queue for the bus.

For the T3 to T5 on Saturday morning using the HEX, we made it from aircraft door to lounge in about 25 minutes.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Option 1.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DocS
OTish but what's the best route for doing this the other way round? Arriving into T5 ex CAI with a short connection to AA from T3. Thanks
The airside transfer bus is the fastest route, it takes 11 minutes plus waiting time. The bus runs every 6 minutes compared to 15 minutes for HEX and 9 minutes for the tube. . You can also clear AA's security protocols while waiting for the bus at T5, there is a mobile unit in the waiting area.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks dylanks & CWS ^
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
. You can also clear AA's security protocols while waiting for the bus at T5, there is a mobile unit in the waiting area.
But not in the T5B waiting area, or at least not that I've noticed. Something to bear in mind as OP will likely be arriving at B or C from CAI. Would it be more time efficient to go to A for the clearance then?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
I went with Option 2 (airside bus to T5, UK Border, F Wing) and the official time from disembarking at T3 to CCR lounge angel is:

31 minutes 7 seconds

Notes:
- I was first off the aircraft
- I boarded a bus which was waiting and departed immediately
- no queue at all at UK Border E gates
- minimal queue at F Wing security
- selected at security for body scan and shoe swipe
- I walk briskly

Having tried it I don't think it saved time overall or was any less hassle than the official connection. As noted by an eminent Flyertalker above, F Wing is nice but having "been there, done that" not worth the detour again.

Whichever way you go the T3-T5 connection is distinctly non-premium for premium pax, but that's another thread.

Last edited by robertf999; Jul 26, 2017 at 2:05 am Reason: Acknowledging rossmacd's sound advice, ignored by me for "research" purposes :)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by robertf999
F Wing is nice but having "been there, done that" not worth the detour again.
Yup, exactly as posted above!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Yup, exactly as posted above!
Edited to give due credit
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for reporting back. If this was a morning transfer I would imagine that Flight Connection security would be fairly tedious, given that many connecting passengers seem to be unaware of the UK's procedures.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Simonmiller
It is airside. It's where connection buses leave / arrive at T3, and is outside. I think it's fairly new as there was a smiley face box asking for feedback on the "new facility".
Sooooo could you catch a bus from T5 get off at T3 - smoke inside the cage - and bus back to T5 ? Could be of interest to some - Uncle T for instance also

PS - sorry I am aware there's a smoking forum but it gets very few visitors
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL
If you don't smoke then, yes, option 1. Bus is max 12mins, usually quicker, and you'll end up right in the terminal. By far the quickest option. More time in Concorde.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Removed post

Last edited by Simonmiller; Jul 29, 2017 at 3:02 pm Reason: Removed post
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Had a 4 hour connection last week transferring from a Finnair flight. Checked in my bag on Finnair but wanted it to carry on to Toronto on BA so even waiting for my bag I took option 3 and was in GF in less than an hour. I have a UK passport. Impressed with AY baggage handling. 4 flights on them in a week and my bag was in the first 5 off on all 4. The priority tag seems to actually work on them
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
What about the other way? T5 arrival and then to CPT on BA from T3. Would one be able to use the Concorde lounge in T5 and then go to T3?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
What about the other way? T5 arrival and then to CPT on BA from T3. Would one be able to use the Concorde lounge in T5 and then go to T3?
Not unless you were an assertive celebrity. There again the CX First lounge probably takes that issue away anyway, perhaps more so when Qantas opens its new lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.