T3-T5 F connection - which option?

Old Jul 25, 17, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
T3-T5 F connection - which option?

Inbound to T3 about 08:00 tomorrow, connecting to an 11:20 departure from T5. GCH in F. So, which option is best from the following:

1. Usual bus T3-T5 then Flight Connections and South security. Enter CCR via newly reopened magic door.
2. Bus T3-T5 then exit UK Border. Lift to departures and re-enter via First wing (I've not sampled it yet).
3. Exit UK Border at T3. HEX/tube to T5. Re-enter via First Wing.

I'm thinking Option 2 is marginally the least hassle but thoughts appreciated from the more frequent frequent flyers than me
Old Jul 25, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
As a smoker, always option 2 or 3
Old Jul 25, 17, 10:36 am

Option 1.

The First Wing, whilst nice, I don't think is worth the extra 'hassle' in my opinion.
Old Jul 25, 17, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Well 'best' is subjective. Option 1 is a no brainer but if you have extra time, immigration is ok and you are a UK citizen, you're feeling like exploring, and you don't mind missing out on some champagne time, then maybe Option 2 suits.
Old Jul 25, 17, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL / QF LTG
Has anyone done Option 3 and have a rough idea of how long it takes? I am coming off QF1 in T3 and then need to do a B2B LHR - OSL - LHR for the last leg of an exEU. I have arranged for AirPortr to in T3 arrivals to take my bag home while I go to OSL. Arrive 06:50 and then depart T5 12:35, so plenty of time between terminals.

BA cancelled a LHR - OSL flight after I booked, so my perfectly timed connections are less so. If I am over flying by then (LHR - ARN - LHR - DXB - MEL - SYD - WTB - SYD - DXB - LHR), I may go the opposite way on the Tube and head home.
Old Jul 25, 17, 11:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As a non smoker, at that time of day definitely option 2.
Old Jul 25, 17, 11:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jase76 View Post
Has anyone done Option 3 and have a rough idea of how long it takes?
Arrivals T3 landside to the First Wing takes on average 13 minutes 45 seconds plus the waiting time for the HEX. The service frequency is normally 15 minutes. The tube takes a bit longer due to the location of the tube station, but it has a better frequency.
Old Jul 25, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Two questions that have a significant impact:

1) Is your connection outside UK & Ireland? If you are connecting to domestic, then you will need to clear the UK border at T5 even with an airside connection, and that might slow you down significantly, unless:

2) Do you have access to the e-gates, either with a UK passport, or a registered biometric passport? Rendering the whole border question moot.
Old Jul 25, 17, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Oops, yes, should've mentioned I am a UK citizen so can use the E-gates at the border. It's a PRG-LHR-JFK connection in F.

Thanks for the responses. Assuming I arrive at T3 on schedule, I think I'll try Option 2. I've done the "official" Option 1 route a few times, so I'll see how a different way works out.

I'll set my stopwatch and report back with CWS-style timings.
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
As a smoker, always option 2 or 3
There is a smoking "cage" next to the buses at T3 connections.
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by cpdc1030 View Post
There is a smoking "cage" next to the buses at T3 connections.
I've always used tube between 3-5 as always had decent layovers... so is cage airside?
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
For those looking at step counts or otherwise looking towards health, option 3 wins.
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:10 pm

Programs: Executive Club (Gold)
I've always used tube between 3-5 as always had decent layovers... so is cage airside?
It is airside. It's where connection buses leave / arrive at T3, and is outside. I think it's fairly new as there was a smiley face box asking for feedback on the "new facility".
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL / QF LTG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Arrivals T3 landside to the First Wing takes on average 13 minutes 45 seconds plus the waiting time for the HEX. The service frequency is normally 15 minutes. The tube takes a bit longer due to the location of the tube station, but it has a better frequency.
Plenty of time, thanks! ^
Old Jul 25, 17, 6:20 pm

OTish but what's the best route for doing this the other way round? Arriving into T5 ex CAI with a short connection to AA from T3. Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: