Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Good to know about the Novotel. However, the SPG Platinum benefit recognition at CAI is so good I would not switch even if half priced.
I can understand that! But it's different stokes etc.

I'm top of the tree in IHG and Hilton, but a nobody for SPG. SN put me in the Sheraton at Brussels airport a week or so back: not something I'd look forward to repeating
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
...Position the stamp carefully on your passport page if you expect to make more visits: I am there frequently and the visa sticker plus the immigration stamps take up an awful lot of passport space.
Right, wish that sticker was 1/2 the size it is.

How many single entries (1 visa + 2 stamps) can be accommodated on one passport page? If some particularly clever geometric arrangement is needed, kindly post a picture.

By the way, any cheaper way to buy the visa stickers cheaper - in bulk, eBay, etc?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Worth pointing out an immigration card is required. If not distributed on board they are available in the immigration hall but may require a bit of hunting to find one.
Just one data point. I normally fill these during the flight and put them in my passport case, but on the most recent CAI stop (July 17, 3 days ago) I mistakenly left it in the aircraft. That didn't seem to matter to the immigration officer. He just stamped my passport and waved me on.

The form is simple enough to fill out and I don't recommend you skip it, but it also does not seem to be absolutely required.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Can anyone advise on the lounge situation at Cairo for back-to-back or early departure the next day? For my last leg on a CAI-HNL holiday I'm planning on doing LHR-CAI and then going on to AUH/DXB. Annoyingly the BA arrival into CAI (00:35) means missing the overnights to AUH so will have to get the 06.25 flight instead.

Considering it would be 01:00 before exiting the airport and likely 05:00 to checkin for the AUH flight, I can't see the point in getting a hotel.

The questions would be:

1) As Etihad and BA are in same terminal, can I connect as a 'Transit' passenger?
2) If I can be a transit passenger would I need to enter Egypt and get a visa etc?
3) The lounge for Etihad (CAI-AUH) is just detailed as 'Airport Authority Lounge'.... is this the same as the lounge BA use as detailed here?

Thanks,

David.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
T2 Lounge vs Security?

Flew RJ CAI-AMM a few weeks ago (it was originally QR CAI-DOH but rerouted due to embargo). After checking in, security was a bit of a hassle, as the agent kept showing me things on the X-Ray image (such as my toothbrush) and asking me to show them to him. We saw a sign to go to the lounge, but the hallway leading to it had a security checkpoint and it appeared that anyone coming back into the terminal needed to reclear security. We didn't want to hassle with it again so we just waited at the gate. Is this accurate, that if you visit the lounge you need to reclear security afterwards?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Is this accurate, that if you visit the lounge you need to reclear security afterwards?
Yes. As with much of security theater, time spent in the line is often much longer than that spent in actual checking. So, if you leave a few mins early, you should be fine.

However, it is certainly annoying and possibly poointless. I just passed thru CAI and recall having 4 security checks in all.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:58 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by anabolism
Flew RJ CAI-AMM a few weeks ago (it was originally QR CAI-DOH but rerouted due to embargo). After checking in, security was a bit of a hassle, as the agent kept showing me things on the X-Ray image (such as my toothbrush) and asking me to show them to him. We saw a sign to go to the lounge, but the hallway leading to it had a security checkpoint and it appeared that anyone coming back into the terminal needed to reclear security. We didn't want to hassle with it again so we just waited at the gate. Is this accurate, that if you visit the lounge you need to reclear security afterwards?

Yes that's correct, another security from lounge to departures.

You must have been terribly unlucky, security in Egypt seems to me as a 'for-show' only so the fact that somebody even looked at the xray of your baggage - count yourself lucky
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:01 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Can anyone advise on the lounge situation at Cairo for back-to-back or early departure the next day? For my last leg on a CAI-HNL holiday I'm planning on doing LHR-CAI and then going on to AUH/DXB. Annoyingly the BA arrival into CAI (00:35) means missing the overnights to AUH so will have to get the 06.25 flight instead.

Considering it would be 01:00 before exiting the airport and likely 05:00 to checkin for the AUH flight, I can't see the point in getting a hotel.

The questions would be:

1) As Etihad and BA are in same terminal, can I connect as a 'Transit' passenger?
2) If I can be a transit passenger would I need to enter Egypt and get a visa etc?
3) The lounge for Etihad (CAI-AUH) is just detailed as 'Airport Authority Lounge'.... is this the same as the lounge BA use as detailed here?

Thanks,

David.
Hi David,

Not sure on the lounge for etihad, but I think they all use the same crappy lounge.

You don't need to enter egypt or get visa, just follow transit signs. You will end up in a room, where they will take your passport away and get etihad staff to check you in and issue boarding passes - one thing to bear in mind is that you will be in the transit room until etihad check-in at the airport opens.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Check out the other thread

"CAI in and out without clearing security"

I wrote about my transit experience (not great). Re secruity at/to the Lounge, going to lounge you just walk through it (no check). Coming back, you put your bag on it but, apart from liquids (like a bottle of water), the guy seems uninterested. Need to keep your passport available as often they want to see the stamp (pointless)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
...Need to keep your passport available as often they want to see the stamp (pointless)
Passport inspection is a simple, additional layer of security applied at transition points within the airport "process". It might irritate you, but why do you deem it pointless?

Egypt has been going through a rocky time politically, security in general is intense. At the same time Egyptian airports have experienced a number of security breaches, and there have been major incidents involving loss of aircraft and loss of life.

That the airport and its national and international advisors/inspectors on safety and security insist on multiple checks on passengers' credentials throughout their progress through the airport doesn't seem at all unreasonable.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That the airport and its national and international advisors/inspectors on safety and security insist on multiple checks on passengers' credentials throughout their progress through the airport doesn't seem at all unreasonable.
I agree entirely, but in my experience the checks are very cursory.
Pigeon49 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Passport inspection is a simple, additional layer of security applied at transition points within the airport "process". It might irritate you, but why do you deem it pointless?

Egypt has been going through a rocky time politically, security in general is intense. At the same time Egyptian airports have experienced a number of security breaches, and there have been major incidents involving loss of aircraft and loss of life.

Personally, I don't really care if I need to show my passport to more people or not (aside from extra lines and waiting in them). I'm not sure how it enhances security, though.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Hi David,

Not sure on the lounge for etihad, but I think they all use the same crappy lounge.

You don't need to enter egypt or get visa, just follow transit signs. You will end up in a room, where they will take your passport away and get etihad staff to check you in and issue boarding passes - one thing to bear in mind is that you will be in the transit room until etihad check-in at the airport opens.
Thanks nufnuf77 and moral_low_ground. I've read the "CAI in and out without clearing security" thread and the "CAI turnaround is it possible?" threads and think I may be a bit stuffed, for the following reasons:

1. I'm arriving into CAI at 00:35 and the last Etihad flight departs at 00:25
2. From IAN-UK's input into a another thread, it seems I can only obtain the required physical BP from CAI itself.
3. I'm thinking it's unlikely that any Etihad staff would be around to check me in and issue boarding passes, as the first Etihad flight of the day (the one I want to catch to AUH) is 06:25.

My issue seems to be arriving so late in the evening - I'm happy to be contradicted however I don't fancy the idea of waiting in a transit holding pen at CAI for several hours before Etihad staff become available to give me access back through into departures. Check-in only opens 3 hours before departure.

Thanks,

David.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:14 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Thanks nufnuf77 and moral_low_ground. I've read the "CAI in and out without clearing security" thread and the "CAI turnaround is it possible?" threads and think I may be a bit stuffed, for the following reasons:

1. I'm arriving into CAI at 00:35 and the last Etihad flight departs at 00:25
2. From IAN-UK's input into a another thread, it seems I can only obtain the required physical BP from CAI itself.
3. I'm thinking it's unlikely that any Etihad staff would be around to check me in and issue boarding passes, as the first Etihad flight of the day (the one I want to catch to AUH) is 06:25.

My issue seems to be arriving so late in the evening - I'm happy to be contradicted however I don't fancy the idea of waiting in a transit holding pen at CAI for several hours before Etihad staff become available to give me access back through into departures. Check-in only opens 3 hours before departure.

Thanks,

David.
For your own sanity I would not do this, especially at that hour. Efficiency rarely occurs in Egypt...

You could Meet & Assist for arrival and use their lounge until check in opens. In fact you could probably just pay them for departure and they would bring you your boarding pass. http://www.cairo-airport.com/service..._servicese.asp

Last edited by m0hamed; Jul 24, 2017 at 3:35 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat

Have you ever been to Cairo airport (I am certain you have) ? TBH I couldn't give a F how many times they want to check the stupid stamp and 50% of the time the guy is not even there to check it and another 50% of the time doesn't even want to look at it. Therefore, the check is pointless.

In my last transit trip through Cairo the EK guy (eventually) picked me up in the transit area. He took me all the way back to checkin. The first security guard was eating his dinner with 2 cleaners so was no longer interested. The security office next to immigration was busy and the "Chief" couldn't be bothered to get out of his chair to check my credentials and just waved his hand.

So, pointless is exactly the word. If you don't have a security culture ingrained through the whole organization then it doesn't matter how hard one guy tries if the others let him down. I am sure CAI airport bucks itself up when the inspections happen but there is no consistent approach to security, white guys are treated differently to other creeds etc and if you believe that Cairo is a first world airport with first world security then maybe you shouldn't.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.