Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze
This certainly seems like a bizarre decision at the airports where BA are investing heavily in lounge and premium check in upgrades.
This is bad news.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Won't the staff be staying on just having to apply for the same job for a lot more work and less money, all so Cruz can make another million or so?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 14, 2017 at 8:16 am Reason: Removal of WW quote - no longer appropriate
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA (Gold), GF (Gold), EY (Silver), EK; Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by TBD
I can understand at places like PHL with their limited operations.
But JFK ?!
Some really great people at PHL, many of whom have become familiar faces over my 4 years living there. They will be missed!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:32 am

This is very sad news - some of the staff at BOS have been there 20 years and are just fantastic.

I think the lounge in BOS already uses contract staff so not sure that will change.

BA are making a big mistake, especially at stations such as BOS and JFK that have multiple flights a day.

It's time to consider whether I fire BA for my BOS trips and switch to VS.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Not surprising.

Last edited by Down Low; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:19 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by kusteneun
Is Canada all contracted out?
Canada is still, largely, manned but under review. Fact is, nothing is sacred anymore, nothing is above scrutiny or deemed 'too important to be touched'.

If it was a healthy approach at trimming fat and be competitive then I'd agree; but too much of it is based on an idiotic notion of headcount control, reduction of pension costs and 'let's-go-for-the-cheapest-option-possible'. This notion has backfired, sometimes in a spectacular way (and no, the Bank Holiday outage isn't the only one), more than once but yet no one seems to understand how outsourcing ought to be made and managed.

The only place that isn't into outsourcing is Orient House, obviously.

All the above is my own opinion and not BA's (of course, why would it be?)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
CIHY, is this implemented today, or just announced at the end of a review period? I sense from the tone of your opening post that today is implementation
It's just been made public, I'm not sure when it's going to be implemented.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:51 am

As someone who has worked for a handling company, the biggest problem is that no one is willing or able to accept responsibility. The handling company staff blame their management, the handling company management blames the airline station managers or duty managers - and there are no contingencies with things go wrong.

Assuming Swissport is taking over - after all, they've been sliding into T7 at JFK for months - watch terms, pay, benefits, and morale plummet.

And who will be the biggest loser, besides the staff?

The customers.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:52 am

Shame. Wait for any IRROPS to happen and it will all go pear shaped.

But all consistent with the dumbing down of BA, move on anyone with experience and replace with 'cheap as possible'.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:08 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's just been made public, I'm not sure when it's going to be implemented.
Thanks. I'm through SFO next week, so sadly it's not going to be a happy time whatever - it's terrible working under threat when you know you're going to have to effectively apply for your own job back with possibly a much smaller chance of success than if BA had retained control.

I've always found the staff excellent at those outstations where I've come into contact with them - not least the outstanding lounge staff in IAD. Whilst not entirely unexpected given the direction BA has been heading with outstations over the past few years, still terribly sad and - certainly in the case of JFK - something that looks horribly short-sighted.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:14 am

The savings will be around USD $10 million annually, according to the company.

Two questions need to be asked:

-- How? Is it all cuts in wages and benefits?

-- Given the pay packages of the senior team, is this really necessary?

The BA unionized staff at JFK have repeatedly refused to go on strike, and this is how they get repaid. For all of you who scream and yell about UNITE, remember that this is the alternative.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:19 am

Not good anytime people loose jobs or have reduced benefits.

Having said that I had great service from the agents at SJC on Sunday. I assume these are out sourced staff?

I generally look to the station staff to assist in general BA issues such as how do I get from T5 to T3 or what's good to eat at LHR. Where's the lounge in BCN.

BA staff in SFO or other outposts usually can't answer my questions so from that standpoint it'll be no loss.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Losing him will be a tragedy.
He moved on a while back
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
This is very sad. I know a lot of the ticketing staff myself.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
CIHY, is this implemented today, or just announced at the end of a review period? I sense from the tone of your opening post that today is implementation
Not implementation; I've seen one of the communications from the US union, the IAMAW (which was the union for JAX too) that the outsourcing is being proposed as part of contract negotiations, and as those can take time, it's not imminent.

It may well be a divide and conquer tactic BA uses to negotiate pay and benefits; i.e. take bad package A and everyone stays, take slightly better package B and sacrifice selected stations, take package C and save JFK only, etc.

Originally Posted by 13900
Canada is still, largely, manned but under review. Fact is, nothing is sacred anymore, nothing is above scrutiny or deemed 'too important to be touched'.
Canadian stations were actually contracted back in about 10 years ago. It was announced as more cost effective at the time. Canada employees aren't covered by the US IAMAW union/contract, but I wouldn't doubt that their status is also kept under review.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I don't think so. I know someone who works for Air Canada at YYC and she said that the BA staff there are BA employees. For now anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.