Wiki Posts
Search

Where Are They Now? (Old BMI forum)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Where Are They Now? (Old BMI forum)

It has been almost 5 years since BMI got the chop (along with the BMI forum) and just wondering if anyone is in touch with the old crew??

Used to really enjoy the BMI forum and wondered if anyone is still floating about? People such as:

Oxon Flyer
More Champagne Sir?
Joanna from the Diamond Club
FlyingOnceMore
Guy Betsy?

I see Hiddy's name popping up every now and then in this forum.

Can't believe how quick 5 years has gone. Looking back the Diamond Club was amazing!!!

^
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
It has been almost 5 years since BMI got the chop (along with the BMI forum) and just wondering if anyone is in touch with the old crew??

Used to really enjoy the BMI forum and wondered if anyone is still floating about? People such as:

Oxon Flyer
More Champagne Sir?
Joanna from the Diamond Club
FlyingOnceMore
Guy Betsy?

I see Hiddy's name popping up every now and then in this forum.

Can't believe how quick 5 years has gone. Looking back the Diamond Club was amazing!!!

^
The first name on your list is one of the BA Moderators here and Guy Betsy certainly posts here. As this has nothing to do with BA really I think this thread may be for the chop*, by an ex BMI'r called....... Oxon Flyer!

(*or may be merged into the GateA14 thread)
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Boddingtons as well...^

Last I heard most of them had taken advantage of those one way redemptions in F to Kathmandu which included about six stopovers all over the Far East. Months later on arrival in KTM they found they couldn't afford the fare back so had to go and work in the rice terraces....probably still there.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Boddingtons as well...^

Last I heard most of them had taken advantage of those one way redemptions in F to Kathmandu which included about six stopovers all over the Far East. Months later on arrival in KTM they found they couldn't afford the fare back so had to go and work in the rice terraces....probably still there.
lol top bloke you are!!! ^ and those F one way redemptions were quality!!!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I was an occasional BMIer. I do miss the BMI board culture which was a bit more friendly and less about class status than BA. It was also full of people who never flew BMI, so I guess memories can be overly rosy.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
BMI was the first FFP in my life, it counted for:
an amazing 9 years of star alliance gold,
my first F experience on SQ and TG (on miles).
My first introduction to Dom Perignon and Krug (and the fact I drank it at 11am)

It kinda went downhill from there.

This tread is BA related as BA assimillated the airline and the program. I don't think BAEC is bad, but it was for sure not as good as BMI Diamond Club.

Guy Betsy I see respond frequently on other forums, mainly MH and CX. OF here, Joanna was an FT member but not too active I think. She was a pure gem and pati not with difficult people like me . Any company will be lucky to have her working for them.

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; Jul 10, 2017 at 2:14 am
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
MCS? and Boddingtons are both alive and well, I can vouch! In fact, if you were at the Head for Points Christmas party last year, MCS? arranged and handed over one of the raffle prizes.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Just some statistics.

More Champagne Sir last posted in December 2016 which was their first post in 2 years. They didn't post much more than 20 times in the whole of 2014.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Boddingtons as well...^

Even better was Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (UUS), HIDDY. Sometimes took a while to get the green light from Dennis or Truptee, but it nearly always worked out
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:25 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
In the early days after the takeover, a lot of the established BA crew would comment on just how much their BD colleagues had brought to the party, something that epitomised the airline so many of us loved. I'm lucky enough to still see the logo regularly because of my work proximity to the runway at NWI, where Regional operate flights to ABZ, and it still brings a pang of nostalgia. Like others, Diamond Club gave me my first trips in F, including the TG lounge at BKK. Sadly it was one of the few financial bright spots for the company, and the demise was entirely, and painfully, predictable ...

The forum also gave me my first DO, at the ubiquitous Glasshouse Stores, where I learnt so much - mostly about drinking, to be fair, with the resident experts present in the form of Goldcircle and Oxon Flyer .

Joanna is no longer working in the airline industry, but did open an account here to say goodbye after she left Donnington Hall. Keeley Downing did the same - "Hugsandkisses" was an inspired choice!

So, if ever anyone fancies resurrecting the final DO we never had, I'm sure some of us would turn up for old times' sake ...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:51 am

I miss the occasional surprise of accruing mileage on redemptions.

I'm sure things like that didn't help BD's financial state, but by the end they were a shadow of their former self. The put option that LH agreed to effectively spelled the end (with the benefit of hindsight), although it was a financially very shrewd move by Sir Michael Bishop.

The role BD played in stopping BA enjoying monopoly power has now passed to FR, EZJ and BE.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I miss the occasional surprise of accruing mileage on redemptions.

Status miles too!

FlyingOnceMore and I used to meet in Belfast for a curry but I have not heard from him for a few years. His phone rings out. I see he last posted on FT in 2014.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:08 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I may be showing my age here, but surprised no one has mentioned ajamieson or Wingnut yet...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
ajamieson is still around FT, so may respond!

He is the AJ for London and Edinburgh - with his job
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I heard it was a good forum. Sadly my BMI experience was minimal ... 2 returns JER-LBA, and a solitary JER-LHR shortly before they binned that route.

I have heard of OxO, though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.