Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is blowing 37500 Avios on AA domestic transcon business worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond

Been looking at redemptions and cash prices on flights between JFK-LAX.

There's nothing redemption wise on my preferred day but some availability has opened up the following day. Been checking the last couple of weeks and nothing until just now.

12500 Avios + £4.40 for Y or 37500 + same taxes for business.

Price wise, £115 for economy and £506 for business (£813 the day before).
Early morning flights so the flat bed will be used for sleeping compared to an overnight.

Not sure whether its a good enough usage of the Avios or just paying for Y on the A321 is fine for 5hrs or so.

Wouldn't want to lose out of the redemption by hesitating and can easily cancel for free should anything better appear.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:09 pm

I wouldn't (now) cross the continental US in anything other than a flatbed, so yes, it is definitely worth it.

5 hours in a Y seat.....no thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Been looking at redemptions and cash prices on flights between JFK-LAX.

There's nothing redemption wise on my preferred day but some availability has opened up the following day. Been checking the last couple of weeks and nothing until just now.

12500 Avios + £4.40 for Y or 37500 + same taxes for business.

Price wise, £115 for economy and £506 for business (£813 the day before).
Early morning flights so the flat bed will be used for sleeping compared to an overnight.

Not sure whether its a good enough usage of the Avios or just paying for Y on the A321 is fine for 5hrs or so.

Wouldn't want to lose out of the redemption by hesitating and can easily cancel for free should anything better appear.
Do you have any BAEC (or other oneworld) status that would entitle you to select a Main Cabin Extra seat at no charge? While Business Class would be much better, a Main Cabin Extra seat with 34" pitch should be tolerable. I would not book a transcon in Coach unless I knew I could get MCE seating.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Do you have any BAEC (or other oneworld) status that would entitle you to select a Main Cabin Extra seat at no charge? While Business Class would be much better, a Main Cabin Extra seat with 34" pitch should be tolerable. I would not book a transcon in Coach unless I knew I could get MCE seating.
The transcontinental business is a 2-2 layout, another thing to consider!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
At least Gold / OWE so always grab a MCE seat.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by cysyuen
The transcontinental business is a 2-2 layout, another thing to consider!
Always way better than a Y seat, MCE or not, for 5+ hours.
To me 37.5k avios for J US transcon are a good use.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you are OK spending 37.5k, for another 12.5k Avios you can fly transcon First (AA has recently started releasing F saver typically empty cabin a few days before departure). Not that the inflight food is any better but the F cabin is 1-1 with a lot more space. And you'll be granted access to new JFK Flagship First Dining Room.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
If you are OK spending 37.5k, for another 12.5k Avios you can fly transcon First (AA has recently started releasing F saver typically empty cabin a few days before departure). Not that the inflight food is any better but the F cabin is 1-1 with a lot more space. And you'll be granted access to new JFK Flagship First Dining Room.
Just had a quick look at redemptions for this week and quite a few F seats available. One day has most flights with at least 2 seats.
Perhaps AA releasing seats late on is correct (although would prefer to have something in place on the off chance nothing appears, availability dries up and/or prices go through the roof)

The dining room probably isn't much use for a 7/8am flight unfortunately. A later flight where I could give the apparently underworked bartender something to do would be better.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think so! The transcon 2-2 seating are very comfortable. In certain situations such as a red-eye, I much prefer it over the 1-1 F cabin since I find the 2-2 seats to be more comfortable for sleeping than the F seats.

Also consider the time of flight, which can be 6+ hours depending on the head wind, so it's potentially a longer flight than some instances of the transatlantic flights from the North East.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Undoubtedly it's worth the avios if you have them, but even the cash fare is excellent value and would get you 140 TP and somewhere in the region of 7,500 avios.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Trust me, plenty of people survive 5+ hours in a Y seat! If you have absolutely tons of miles, then sure, but if you have a smaller amount I'd suggest going Y and sitting in MCE (you will definitely survive) and then saving the miles for a longer flight where the seat, and sleeping, matters more.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro
Undoubtedly it's worth the avios if you have them, but even the cash fare is excellent value and would get you 140 TP and somewhere in the region of 7,500 avios.
Those cash fares are low. I'd buy the business class ticket with cash.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by williamn78
Trust me, plenty of people survive 5+ hours in a Y seat! If you have absolutely tons of miles, then sure, but if you have a smaller amount I'd suggest going Y and sitting in MCE (you will definitely survive) and then saving the miles for a longer flight where the seat, and sleeping, matters more.
Surviving and having a trip where you don't arrive stiff and sore, isn't exactly the same
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lefly
Surviving and having a trip where you don't arrive stiff and sore, isn't exactly the same
It is quite possible to do a 7 hour flight in economy class and arrive perfectly fine.

Travelling in business or 1st class is obviously more pleasant
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is quite possible to do a 7 hour flight in economy class and arrive perfectly fine. Traveling in business or 1st class is obviously more pleasant
And thank you for the brilliant analysis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.