Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is blowing 37500 Avios on AA domestic transcon business worth it?

Is blowing 37500 Avios on AA domestic transcon business worth it?

Old Jul 4, 17, 2:06 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,982
Is blowing 37500 Avios on AA domestic transcon business worth it?

Been looking at redemptions and cash prices on flights between JFK-LAX.

There's nothing redemption wise on my preferred day but some availability has opened up the following day. Been checking the last couple of weeks and nothing until just now.

12500 Avios + £4.40 for Y or 37500 + same taxes for business.

Price wise, £115 for economy and £506 for business (£813 the day before).
Early morning flights so the flat bed will be used for sleeping compared to an overnight.

Not sure whether its a good enough usage of the Avios or just paying for Y on the A321 is fine for 5hrs or so.

Wouldn't want to lose out of the redemption by hesitating and can easily cancel for free should anything better appear.
xenole is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:09 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,464
I wouldn't (now) cross the continental US in anything other than a flatbed, so yes, it is definitely worth it.

5 hours in a Y seat.....no thanks!
rossmacd is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:13 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 22,064
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
Been looking at redemptions and cash prices on flights between JFK-LAX.

There's nothing redemption wise on my preferred day but some availability has opened up the following day. Been checking the last couple of weeks and nothing until just now.

12500 Avios + £4.40 for Y or 37500 + same taxes for business.

Price wise, £115 for economy and £506 for business (£813 the day before).
Early morning flights so the flat bed will be used for sleeping compared to an overnight.

Not sure whether its a good enough usage of the Avios or just paying for Y on the A321 is fine for 5hrs or so.

Wouldn't want to lose out of the redemption by hesitating and can easily cancel for free should anything better appear.
Do you have any BAEC (or other oneworld) status that would entitle you to select a Main Cabin Extra seat at no charge? While Business Class would be much better, a Main Cabin Extra seat with 34" pitch should be tolerable. I would not book a transcon in Coach unless I knew I could get MCE seating.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:16 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Posts: 1,069
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Do you have any BAEC (or other oneworld) status that would entitle you to select a Main Cabin Extra seat at no charge? While Business Class would be much better, a Main Cabin Extra seat with 34" pitch should be tolerable. I would not book a transcon in Coach unless I knew I could get MCE seating.
The transcontinental business is a 2-2 layout, another thing to consider!
cysyuen is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:19 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,982
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Do you have any BAEC (or other oneworld) status that would entitle you to select a Main Cabin Extra seat at no charge? While Business Class would be much better, a Main Cabin Extra seat with 34" pitch should be tolerable. I would not book a transcon in Coach unless I knew I could get MCE seating.
At least Gold / OWE so always grab a MCE seat.
xenole is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:20 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
Posts: 2,687
Originally Posted by cysyuen View Post
The transcontinental business is a 2-2 layout, another thing to consider!
Always way better than a Y seat, MCE or not, for 5+ hours.
To me 37.5k avios for J US transcon are a good use.
Lefly is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:24 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver • DEN-APA
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Posts: 20,136
If you are OK spending 37.5k, for another 12.5k Avios you can fly transcon First (AA has recently started releasing F saver typically empty cabin a few days before departure). Not that the inflight food is any better but the F cabin is 1-1 with a lot more space. And you'll be granted access to new JFK Flagship First Dining Room.
SFO777 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:43 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,982
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
If you are OK spending 37.5k, for another 12.5k Avios you can fly transcon First (AA has recently started releasing F saver typically empty cabin a few days before departure). Not that the inflight food is any better but the F cabin is 1-1 with a lot more space. And you'll be granted access to new JFK Flagship First Dining Room.
Just had a quick look at redemptions for this week and quite a few F seats available. One day has most flights with at least 2 seats.
Perhaps AA releasing seats late on is correct (although would prefer to have something in place on the off chance nothing appears, availability dries up and/or prices go through the roof)

The dining room probably isn't much use for a 7/8am flight unfortunately. A later flight where I could give the apparently underworked bartender something to do would be better.
xenole is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 3:18 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Over the North Atlantic
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 494
I think so! The transcon 2-2 seating are very comfortable. In certain situations such as a red-eye, I much prefer it over the 1-1 F cabin since I find the 2-2 seats to be more comfortable for sleeping than the F seats.


Also consider the time of flight, which can be 6+ hours depending on the head wind, so it's potentially a longer flight than some instances of the transatlantic flights from the North East.
muishkin is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 5:15 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gloucestershire
Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 5,772
Undoubtedly it's worth the avios if you have them, but even the cash fare is excellent value and would get you 140 TP and somewhere in the region of 7,500 avios.
Cymro is online now  
Old Jul 4, 17, 5:33 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto
Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Posts: 361
Trust me, plenty of people survive 5+ hours in a Y seat! If you have absolutely tons of miles, then sure, but if you have a smaller amount I'd suggest going Y and sitting in MCE (you will definitely survive) and then saving the miles for a longer flight where the seat, and sleeping, matters more.
williamn78 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 5:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 1,436
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Undoubtedly it's worth the avios if you have them, but even the cash fare is excellent value and would get you 140 TP and somewhere in the region of 7,500 avios.
Those cash fares are low. I'd buy the business class ticket with cash.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 11:50 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
Posts: 2,687
Originally Posted by williamn78 View Post
Trust me, plenty of people survive 5+ hours in a Y seat! If you have absolutely tons of miles, then sure, but if you have a smaller amount I'd suggest going Y and sitting in MCE (you will definitely survive) and then saving the miles for a longer flight where the seat, and sleeping, matters more.
Surviving and having a trip where you don't arrive stiff and sore, isn't exactly the same
Lefly is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 12:06 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,592
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
Surviving and having a trip where you don't arrive stiff and sore, isn't exactly the same
It is quite possible to do a 7 hour flight in economy class and arrive perfectly fine.

Travelling in business or 1st class is obviously more pleasant
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 12:20 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver • DEN-APA
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Posts: 20,136
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It is quite possible to do a 7 hour flight in economy class and arrive perfectly fine. Traveling in business or 1st class is obviously more pleasant
And thank you for the brilliant analysis.
SFO777 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: