FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is blowing 37500 Avios on AA domestic transcon business worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1851648-blowing-37500-avios-aa-domestic-transcon-business-worth.html)

xenole Jul 4, 2017 2:06 pm

Is blowing 37500 Avios on AA domestic transcon business worth it?

Been looking at redemptions and cash prices on flights between JFK-LAX.

There's nothing redemption wise on my preferred day but some availability has opened up the following day. Been checking the last couple of weeks and nothing until just now.

12500 Avios + £4.40 for Y or 37500 + same taxes for business.

Price wise, £115 for economy and £506 for business (£813 the day before).
Early morning flights so the flat bed will be used for sleeping compared to an overnight.

Not sure whether its a good enough usage of the Avios or just paying for Y on the A321 is fine for 5hrs or so.

Wouldn't want to lose out of the redemption by hesitating and can easily cancel for free should anything better appear.

rossmacd Jul 4, 2017 2:09 pm

I wouldn't (now) cross the continental US in anything other than a flatbed, so yes, it is definitely worth it.

5 hours in a Y seat.....no thanks!

guv1976 Jul 4, 2017 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 28519412)
Been looking at redemptions and cash prices on flights between JFK-LAX.

There's nothing redemption wise on my preferred day but some availability has opened up the following day. Been checking the last couple of weeks and nothing until just now.

12500 Avios + £4.40 for Y or 37500 + same taxes for business.

Price wise, £115 for economy and £506 for business (£813 the day before).
Early morning flights so the flat bed will be used for sleeping compared to an overnight.

Not sure whether its a good enough usage of the Avios or just paying for Y on the A321 is fine for 5hrs or so.

Wouldn't want to lose out of the redemption by hesitating and can easily cancel for free should anything better appear.

Do you have any BAEC (or other oneworld) status that would entitle you to select a Main Cabin Extra seat at no charge? While Business Class would be much better, a Main Cabin Extra seat with 34" pitch should be tolerable. I would not book a transcon in Coach unless I knew I could get MCE seating.

cysyuen Jul 4, 2017 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 28519440)
Do you have any BAEC (or other oneworld) status that would entitle you to select a Main Cabin Extra seat at no charge? While Business Class would be much better, a Main Cabin Extra seat with 34" pitch should be tolerable. I would not book a transcon in Coach unless I knew I could get MCE seating.

The transcontinental business is a 2-2 layout, another thing to consider!

xenole Jul 4, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 28519440)

At least Gold / OWE so always grab a MCE seat.

Lefly Jul 4, 2017 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by cysyuen (Post 28519448)
The transcontinental business is a 2-2 layout, another thing to consider!

Always way better than a Y seat, MCE or not, for 5+ hours.
To me 37.5k avios for J US transcon are a good use.

SFO777 Jul 4, 2017 2:24 pm

If you are OK spending 37.5k, for another 12.5k Avios you can fly transcon First (AA has recently started releasing F saver typically empty cabin a few days before departure). Not that the inflight food is any better but the F cabin is 1-1 with a lot more space. And you'll be granted access to new JFK Flagship First Dining Room.

xenole Jul 4, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 28519481)
If you are OK spending 37.5k, for another 12.5k Avios you can fly transcon First (AA has recently started releasing F saver typically empty cabin a few days before departure). Not that the inflight food is any better but the F cabin is 1-1 with a lot more space. And you'll be granted access to new JFK Flagship First Dining Room.

Just had a quick look at redemptions for this week and quite a few F seats available. One day has most flights with at least 2 seats.
Perhaps AA releasing seats late on is correct (although would prefer to have something in place on the off chance nothing appears, availability dries up and/or prices go through the roof)

The dining room probably isn't much use for a 7/8am flight unfortunately. A later flight where I could give the apparently underworked bartender something to do would be better.

muishkin Jul 4, 2017 3:18 pm

I think so! The transcon 2-2 seating are very comfortable. In certain situations such as a red-eye, I much prefer it over the 1-1 F cabin since I find the 2-2 seats to be more comfortable for sleeping than the F seats.

Also consider the time of flight, which can be 6+ hours depending on the head wind, so it's potentially a longer flight than some instances of the transatlantic flights from the North East.

Cymro Jul 4, 2017 5:15 pm

Undoubtedly it's worth the avios if you have them, but even the cash fare is excellent value and would get you 140 TP and somewhere in the region of 7,500 avios.

williamn78 Jul 4, 2017 5:33 pm

Trust me, plenty of people survive 5+ hours in a Y seat! If you have absolutely tons of miles, then sure, but if you have a smaller amount I'd suggest going Y and sitting in MCE (you will definitely survive) and then saving the miles for a longer flight where the seat, and sleeping, matters more.

NYC1 Jul 4, 2017 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 28519977)
Undoubtedly it's worth the avios if you have them, but even the cash fare is excellent value and would get you 140 TP and somewhere in the region of 7,500 avios.

Those cash fares are low. I'd buy the business class ticket with cash.

Lefly Jul 4, 2017 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by williamn78 (Post 28520031)
Trust me, plenty of people survive 5+ hours in a Y seat! If you have absolutely tons of miles, then sure, but if you have a smaller amount I'd suggest going Y and sitting in MCE (you will definitely survive) and then saving the miles for a longer flight where the seat, and sleeping, matters more.

Surviving and having a trip where you don't arrive stiff and sore, isn't exactly the same ;) :p

Dave Noble Jul 5, 2017 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Lefly (Post 28520811)
Surviving and having a trip where you don't arrive stiff and sore, isn't exactly the same ;) :p

It is quite possible to do a 7 hour flight in economy class and arrive perfectly fine.

Travelling in business or 1st class is obviously more pleasant

SFO777 Jul 5, 2017 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28520837)
It is quite possible to do a 7 hour flight in economy class and arrive perfectly fine. Traveling in business or 1st class is obviously more pleasant

And thank you for the brilliant analysis. :rolleyes: