Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding question - double beep at gate?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Boarding question - double beep at gate?

Hello,

a couple of of times recently, my boarding pass hasn't scanned straight through at the gate, but instead double beeps then there's a manual process by the agent, often noting down my seat number on a bit of paper before boarding.

Why is this? I've heard that a double beep might mean a seat change or upgrade - but that's never happened.

I often chose the emergency exit, is it a check for that perhaps? If so, why write my seat number down?

I'm intrigued

thank you!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
It will be because of the emergency exit seat. Not sure why they write your seat number down.

its usually to check you are fit and able to be sitting there.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The process in FLY involves checking you agree to being able to use the emergency exit. Rather than scanning the bp, you enter the seat number at the top of the boarding screen (which is probably why it was written down), then the message comes up which needs to be cleared - usually the agent may check you are happy to be in an exit row and determined whether they think you meet the criteria.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
A double beep means a 'gate stop' has, for some reason, been put one on you. It could be for any reason. It could be that they where looking for someone with the same name as you, you had been upgraded or as said above to see if you were suitable to sit in an exit seat.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by SonTech
A double beep means a 'gate stop' has, for some reason, been put one on you. It could be for any reason. It could be that they where looking for someone with the same name as you, you had been upgraded or as said above to see if you were suitable to sit in an exit seat.
Or, most frustratingly, on US flights (I think it's only US flights) it can also signal you've been chosen for the random extra security check.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Out of ZRH to LHR, I once had the gate agent write down something while they were scanning my boarding card. No beep, but later on I ended up with a crew member from a flight to LCY that had gone tech sitting next to me.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:19 pm

I think its when you check in online and then proceed all the way to the gate without anyone checking your passport. Seems to happen to us all the time when we have hand luggage only and the first BA staff we see are at the gate.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi all,
not sure if this is the best place to ask my question about a gate beep, apologies if not.

While boarding BA418 LHR to LUX yesterday my passport scan triggered a beep and the gate agent asked me what kind of right I have to reside in the UK. I explained that I have EU settled status and all was well and I proceeded boarding.
Can someone explain why my status is queried when leaving the UK? I‘m sure BA has all the right to do so but I‘m wondering why this is done when exiting a country. I travel frequently and this has not happened to me before.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:44 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by troublegum
Hi all,
not sure if this is the best place to ask my question about a gate beep, apologies if not.

While boarding BA418 LHR to LUX yesterday my passport scan triggered a beep and the gate agent asked me what kind of right I have to reside in the UK. I explained that I have EU settled status and all was well and I proceeded boarding.
Can someone explain why my status is queried when leaving the UK? I‘m sure BA has all the right to do so but I‘m wondering why this is done when exiting a country. I travel frequently and this has not happened to me before.
Is your ticket a LHR-LUX-LHR round trip? If so, perhaps they wanted to confirm that you could re-enter the UK on the return, although normally I would have thought that is a matter for the agents on the actual return flight.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by :D!
Is your ticket a LHR-LUX-LHR round trip? If so, perhaps they wanted to confirm that you could re-enter the UK on the return, although normally I would have thought that is a matter for the agents on the actual return flight.
Hi !
Yes, I had a LHR-LUX-LHR return so that could have been the reason for BA to ask. I returned to the UK yesterday and had no problems, nobody queried anything. I will fly again on Saturday and kind of hope that this will happen again so I can ask why they query it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.