Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's open season on BA in the UK press

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by DrGee
I missed it. (In the pub). What did it say?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
... Nonetheless, I was told I'd get an appearance fee - so imagine my delight when some weeks later a cheque dropped through my door. Sadly, this turned out to be for a grand total of 18p ...
I hope you invested it wisely.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:03 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I hope you invested it wisely.
I should clearly have bought IAG shares with it, given Newsnight's report of 4x growth in value over five years. I could have been sitting on, ooh, 72p now. A few more deals like that and I could cobble together enough for a cup of tea and bacon sarni in ET ...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Its no different to what goes on here but on a larger scale:

Stage 1: convince yourself there is a huge cost cutting agenda damaging the brand
Stage 2: look for stories where customer experience has been poor - particularly human interest
Stage 3: report factually that stage 2 is caused by cuts
Stage 4: Demand change in leadership and big investment, and promise to remove patronage until things improve, but complain a lot on the internet in the meantime

Its a bit like the public sector here in the Uk with "Austerity" (otherwise known as ensuring we have the scale of state infrastructure we can afford):
Stage 1: Believe we should put more money into the state; and that cuts are damaging
Stage 2: Look for evidence where the state has let people down
Stage 3: Connect 2 with 3 and create the perception that cuts are the reason for everything
Stage 4: Demand end of austerity and new leadership. Participate in cilvil protests or strikes until things improve, but complain a lot on the internet and in the Guardian in the meantime

So are you saying the blame is the Tory party?

It shows the failure of privatisation of public transport due to poor investment where the public suffer.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Ghttps://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4220468/lucifer-tom-ellis-blasts-british-airways-over-ticket-row/

Another one here - surely you can change the name of a flexible ticket?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by m3red
Ghttps://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4220468/lucifer-tom-ellis-blasts-british-airways-over-ticket-row/

No. Names changes are not allowed since tickets are non-transferable.

EDIT: Same for Emirates too apparently https://www.emirates.com/english/hel...hem-afterwards
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by m3red
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/422046...er-ticket-row/

If BA allowed that, companies would just book well in advance for the cheapest price and then either cancel or reassign at a later date.

And, as this is FT, I feel compelled to say I've no idea who the complainer is.

Last edited by Paralytic; Aug 11, 2017 at 4:53 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
A flexible ticket is for date and time changes, not for name changes.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
No. Names changes are not allowed since tickets are non-transferable.

EDIT: Same for Emirates too apparently https://www.emirates.com/english/hel...hem-afterwards

and yet both Aer Lingus and Vuelling do allow passenger name changes for a small fee.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by scillyisles
and yet both Aer Lingus and Vuelling do allow passenger name changes for a small fee.
I mentioned EK as m3red is an FT ambassador for them so may have more experience with their policies - no other reason.

I don't think VY would be of much use to Mr Ellis for a UK-LAX flight.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:56 am

I wonder if his ticket is refundable, or refundable in case of visa refusal? He should have posted here!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:00 am

He says this:

In order to get an appointment at the US consulate I was required to purchase the flight in advance to prove when she was entering and leaving the US.

I purchased a flexible ticket from British Airways for £1200. The visa was then denied.
But then he says:
I assumed British Airways would understand this situation and change the name on the ticket that I had been forced to purchase in the first place.
I was wrong. Instead, I have to buy a whole new ticket and will not be refunded for the first.
Clearly he did not buy a fully flexible, but more importantly refundable ticket, which is what he should have done. BA's website makes it very clear that non-refundable tickets are non-refundable.

So I'm afraid I have very little sympathy here. He knew the visa wasn't a certainty so this wasn't a surprise issue that caught him out after the event. He should have checked what flexibility he was getting before buying. He clearly didn't.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
I wonder if his ticket is refundable, or refundable in case of visa refusal? He should have posted here!
I had a search since these issues have usually been touched on before and found this: Any refund after Visa denial?

Seems the answer would be a non-refundable ticket does not get refunded because of visa denial. However, I note cws's advice in post 14 is to book through BA Holidays as a name change can be done through there.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I had a search since these issues have usually been touched on before
Seems the answer would be a non-refundable ticket does not get refunded because of visa denial.
Not a very accurate summary. There are some fares (from markets that often involve getting a visa before travelling to the UK) that are generally non refundable, but do offer a refund if a visa is refused. There isn't a blanket policy in place - you need to look at the fare rules, which I wouldn't expect a BA phone agent to do if you asked for a name change.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
There are some fares (from markets that often involve getting a visa before travelling to the UK) that are generally non refundable, but do offer a refund if a visa is refused.
Interesting. Are there any specific examples you know of?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.