Search

BA [no longer suits my needs]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by headingwest
For once I completely agree with HIDDY!
Blue moon tonight?

Well at least he's come to a decision. I've never allowed myself to get emotionally attached to one product/brand since Five Boys chocolate disappeared.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Good to the OP for looking at alternatives if he/she is not happy. Grass may or may not be greener....

Leaving BA - I can forgive and understand. Very poor thread title, I cannot.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Jun 24, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Grass may or may not be greener....
The grass isn't as green as it used to be on certain other airlines. I suspect the recently released report from the European Commission investigation into unfair subsidies might have something to do with that. The ME3 do seem to be cutting back on the frills....
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The grass isn't as green as it used to be on certain other airlines. I suspect the recently released report from the European Commission investigation into unfair subsidies might have something to do with that. The ME3 do seem to be cutting back on the frills....
in my experience rather than hearsay that passes for fact here (I'm actually flying alternatives much more now), even with a little snipping of the frillls the grass is MUCH greener elsewhere on revenue tickets. Not just heading east, but on air Canada and united too. It's all relative and BA is relatively rubbish still. The epitome of this is there for all to see - they can't even board an A380 without a total bodge up - unlike Qantas, Lufhansa or Emirates
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DFB_london
in my experience rather than hearsay that passes for fact here (I'm actually flying alternatives much more now), even with a little snipping of the frillls the grass is MUCH greener elsewhere on revenue tickets. Not just heading east, but on air Canada and united too. It's all relative and BA is relatively rubbish still. The epitome of this is there for all to see - they can't even board an A380 without a total bodge up - unlike Qantas, Lufhansa or Emirates
Why do 'revenue tickets' make a difference with those airlines?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:47 am

I for one agree with you....there are better alternatives out there for the consumer. What I don't understand is why people like you feel the constant need to inform us BA are 'rubbish' compared to the competition.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
I for one agree with you....there are better alternatives out there for the consumer. What I don't understand is why people like you feel the constant need to inform us BA are 'rubbish' compared to the competition.
because they are. Something reinforced every time I fly them (when an alternative is nt possible at my preferred travel time). Opinions will differ - demanding that those that diverge from those of others don't get written does nt make them go away!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:22 am

because they are. Something reinforced every time I fly them (when an alternative is nt possible at my preferred travel time). Opinions will differ - demanding that those that diverge from those of others don't get written does nt make them go away!
Hiddy wasn't demanding anything
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
From everything I have been reading over the last year or two, it seems to me that BA really sucks these days (its strange too, because I use to think of BA as a shining light in a sea of darkness).
Do not believe everything you read. I just flew into New York in CW and had a really good time on the plane. Excellent cabin crew who were not bad mouthing their employer as some here claim they do, I actullay spent half of the flight chatting with them at the galley as we shared our passion for flying. A very comfortable seat and decent food and wines. BA is a great airline. What BA is not is a version of idiolized travel dreamt up by some posters. I often think that those who complain, and I, fly different BAs. I also used the First Wing for the first time as I stopped in London for a day and was not connecting, and found it to be great improvement.

I do not understand it either. I do visit Lufthansa's forum often but I have no desire to post there about my opinion of the airline and why I don't find it suitable for me. I actually vote with my wallet and see no reason to share my views of airlines that I do not want to fly with.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Do not believe everything you read. I just flew into New York in CW and had a really good time on the plane. Excellent cabin crew who were not bad mouthing their employer as some here claim they do, I actullay spent half of the flight chatting with them at the galley as we shared our passion for flying. A very comfortable seat and decent food and wines. BA is a great airline. What BA is not is a version of idiolized travel dreamt up by some posters. I often think that those who complain, and I, fly different BAs. I also used the First Wing for the first time as I stopped in London for a day and was not connecting, and found it to be great improvement.

I do not understand it either. I do visit Lufthansa's forum often but I have no desire to post there about my opinion of the airline and why I don't find it suitable for me. I actually vote with my wallet and see no reason to share my views of airlines that I do not want to fly with.
+1

Mrs Padmeister and I have recently returned from a week in St Lucia. We flew First both ways and the cabin crew were amazing both ways we couldn't fault them. Very attentative indeed and nothing was too much trouble; including seat 1K was not in use so they set it up for us to dine together for both dinner and afternoon tea. Alison who looked after us was brilliant and my champagne glass was never empty 😀
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Yachtman
It is a surprise that in such a massive market such as the EU that there seems to be no market for a full service airline. You'd have thought there would have been people out there willing to pay for proper service and in fact a decent intra europe business class, but clearly not.
Not sure why you think that. Majority on here are corporate travellers adhering to corporate travel policy rules. Not me I should add.

Some will pay a minimal amount for a POUG to CE. Most would not pay the relatively modest extra of booking CE over ET/DOM at time of booking.

Many pax intra Europe are connecting from a long haul flight. Their ticket is likely to cost less than the LON-XXX flight if booked alone, to which they connect. For these pax there is no real money to BA for the CE flight, although otherwise they are good business.

That leaves independent travellers such as me. Whilst I will happily pay a premium for CE, I would not pay a significant factor over and above the current CE price for a marginally better seat. The food and drink offer at the moment is as good as it has been in years - so what improvement would BA make?

You answer your own question - there is no market for this. TK offer something different because they have to. Otherwise the routing and other considerations for TK would cripple their business. I see them as a weak gulf carrier offer rather than a superior European airline offer.

This is a recurrent theme, along with why doesn't BA SH go one-class. Well just consider this - in North America there may be domestic F but there plenty of routes that only offer J or are single class. BA on the other hand now offers CE on all SH routes including ex-LGW leisure routes and domestic. Clearly that works for both the business and the customers.

As a final point, I am a regular CE customer and I am quite happy with paying my own money for the product. Changes that require the price to go up considerably have no attraction.

Last edited by FrancisA; Jun 24, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.