FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1849608-ba-lease-9-qatar-a320s-crews-during-strike.html)

ahmetdouas Jun 23, 2017 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 28476958)
If I were BA I would be very nervous about putting my customers in Qatar (domestic) First seats! They will soon realise what they are missing .....

Slightly surprised that Qatar have enough short-haul crew with permission to work in the UK.

Qatar have a decent amount of EU eligible foreign pilots no?
And I think their non-EU pilots can fly in and out of the UK, no? Doubt they 'need permission to work in the UK', other than the usual pilot visas.

I am also wondering how much this is all costing!
Surely more than just giving the MF cabin crew a pay raise no?

I find this behaviour not right at all to be honest. Wet-leasing 9 aircraft must cost a decent amount of cash!

Worcester Jun 23, 2017 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Boten (Post 28476963)
QR don't have enough shares to dictate what BA does.

They have enough shares to block any bonuses to board members, that is normally sufficient.

Innocent Abroad Jun 23, 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by CHCflyer (Post 28476512)
Is there the interesting prospect of a Qatar Airbus operating to Tel Aviv in all of this?

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 28477279)
No, the aircraft are still Qatari registered.

Incidentally, last month a rented car from Qatar (with Qatari license plates) was spotted in Tel Aviv. It turned out that two Norwegian tourists rented it in Qatar and drove all the way to TLV.

We have a precedent then ;)

Bring on the bird :D

https://images1.ynet.co.il/PicServer...95640360no.jpg

simons1 Jun 23, 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28477470)
Qatar have a decent amount of EU eligible foreign pilots no?
And I think their non-EU pilots can fly in and out of the UK, no? Doubt they 'need permission to work in the UK', other than the usual pilot visas.

I suspect the CAA will be the arbiter of that.

oliver2002 Jun 23, 2017 7:05 am

QR has 35 A320 (not including the parked neo) and BA 67. 9 A320 is probably not going to make a dent in either carriers operation. The A320 coming to BA will probably be the 144 seaters that only have recliners in the front cabin.

Raffles Jun 23, 2017 7:06 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 28477629)
I suspect the CAA will be the arbiter of that.

By crew I meant cabin crew. These are wet leases, they come with Qatari cabin crew. Which means there must be enough Qatari cabin crew who are trained on short-haul but still have permission to work in the UK, which I found odd.

sharp5flat9 Jun 23, 2017 7:13 am

Originally Posted by shefgab (Post 28474207)
I wonder what the QR crew will think of the BA F&B standards! :D Not to mention the BoB. I wonder if a Green Al Maha will be flown in as well. That would be something interesting for local spotters.

Ah, the leftovers from the abortive Saudi LCC. Which looks even more unlikely now :)

Nice black leather interior but appalling seat pitch in Y and no IFE at all. There are four A320s in a C12 Y168 config according to wikipedia. IIRC they have wifi but I've never taken a long flight on one of these and my heart does sink whenever we get one, even for a 30 min flight.

QR shorthaul Y service tends to be a 'warm sandwich' and a glass of juice. I've only flown intra-GCC F/J on the 777, 787 or A330.

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 28477385)
Assuming QR is the operator in question, QR does use its A320s on "midhaul" flights to places like Eastern Europe, India, and Scandinavia.

6 hours DOH-WAW in Y on an A320 was too long for me, even in the 'proper' QR spec.

MSPeconomist Jun 23, 2017 7:14 am

Originally Posted by hungry (Post 28476971)
Surely any self respecting crew would refuse to work these services? As it's breaking and undermining their colleagues in another company who are in dispute with their employer?

Are QR pilots and cabin crew unionized? I wouldn't think so. In fact, AFAIK they would experience severe repercussions if they were to participate in any work actions against QR, starting with being fired immediately and kicked out of Qatar without even having time to pack.

BTW, I would expect QR to train all cabin crew for both short haul and long haul, but if not, someone doing long haul could learn the basics of short haul pretty easily I would think.

sharp5flat9 Jun 23, 2017 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 28477676)
By crew I meant cabin crew. These are wet leases, they come with Qatari cabin crew. Which means there must be enough Qatari cabin crew who are trained on short-haul but still have permission to work in the UK, which I found odd.

Lots of EU cabin crew on QR, mainly central and eastern European. So no problem from a 'work permit' POV. I assume licensing is similar.

MSPeconomist Jun 23, 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9 (Post 28477693)
Ah, the leftovers from the abortive Saudi LCC. Which looks even more unlikely now :)

Nice black leather interior but appalling seat pitch in Y and no IFE at all. There are four A320s in a C12 Y68 config according to wikipedia. IIRC they have wifi but I've never taken a long flight on one of these and my heart does sink whenever we get one, even for a 30 min flight.

QR shorthaul Y service tends to be a 'warm sandwich' and a glass of juice. I've only flown intra-GCC F/J on the 777, 787 or A330.

6 hours DOH-WAW in Y on an A320 was too long for me, even in the 'proper' QR spec.

Only 80 total seats on the A320? Could you mean Y168 rather than Y68?

sharp5flat9 Jun 23, 2017 7:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28477707)
Only 80 total seats on the A320? Could you mean Y168 rather than Y68?

Oops. Corrected.

florens Jun 23, 2017 7:22 am

QR A320 is 12J132Y rather, no?

oliver2002 Jun 23, 2017 7:26 am

If you look at the QR fleet here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ays-fleet.html

you get:

320H v1: recliners J in 2-2 config, WiFi. A7-AHA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,L,O
320H v2: recliners J in 2-2 config., no AVOD. A7-ADA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J
320M (Al-Maha): recliners J in 2-2 config, no AVOD, WiFi. A7-LAA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H

The A320M are sparingly used right now, mainly to places like SLL, BSR, BGW etc. Enjoy!

Tobias-UK Jun 23, 2017 7:37 am

As these are effectively short-term charters, the crew may not necessarily need a right to work in the EEA.

Calchas Jun 23, 2017 7:42 am

Why do you find it odd? QR send their 320s everywhere. They even had a 319 regularly scheduled to London for a while.