FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1849608-ba-lease-9-qatar-a320s-crews-during-strike.html)

KARFA Jun 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 28479011)
Wouldn't it be illegal for a PPL to operate a commercial flight?

See https://en.wingly.io/index.php?page=...t&sub_page=faq under "Is it legal?"

sharp5flat9 Jun 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dan72 (Post 28478399)
I would be surprised if QR employed many (any!?) Qatari crew.

I wouldn't, particularly on the flight deck. Emirates and Etihad have many UAE nationals flying, including women :eek: ;) (UAE even has female fighter pilots, apparently). Clearly Qatar has a smaller population from which to draw and is maybe a little behind the UAE in terms of development, but you can be certain that the money will be found to train any aspiring pilots with sufficient aptitude.

Calchas Jun 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28479036)

^ ^

Bit concerning that "Is it legal" is a frequently-asked question :D

KARFA Jun 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 28479111)
^ ^

I think whether it is legal or not would probably be the least of your worries ;)

Calchas Jun 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28479126)
I think whether it is legal or not would probably be the least of your worries ;)

That sounds like a good night. :D

Heathrow Tower Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 28479111)
^ ^

Given that was your first question, I think I'd say that the FAQs are astutely targetted and very well done.:D

The answers, and all the rest?...:eek:

surryson Jun 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Some folk are getting really worked up into a lather over this.

Put aside whether Cruz should do a deal with the Union or not (I think its gone on long enough and neither side really know how to get themselves out of the mess, is my opinion). I'm pretty clear that I'd rather be on a QR A320 over something from say, the former Eastern Block or maybe even a Jet-Time type operator. BA want to avoid cancelling flights and carry as many customers as possible. Wet-Leasing QR aircraft is probably the best SH product equivalent that is available.
If BA have been/are driving this, and not Walsh/QR, then their planning department or whoever it is that came up with this idea should be applauded for thinking outside the box and coming up with a creative solution.
The aircraft will be safe, clean, probably have wifi etc and the crew will be courteous.

Dan72 Jun 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9 (Post 28479045)
I wouldn't, particularly on the flight deck..

Yes, I'm sure. But I thought it was clear that we were talking about cabin crew in the chain I replied to. Perhaps there are some, but I would be surprised if there were many Qatari nationals working as cabin crew.

Modo Jun 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Cabin Crew are Filipino

Originally Posted by Dan72 (Post 28479362)
Yes, I'm sure. But I thought it was clear that we were talking about cabin crew in the chain I replied to. Perhaps there are some, but I would be surprised if there were many Qatari nationals working as cabin crew.

As with many of the Middle East airlines cabin crew are usually mostly Filipino - indeed Filipina.

I suspect they are entitled to an air crew/transport workers visa......If not then most of them won't get visas on time and will end up paying something North of £400 for six months Tourist Visa!

simons1 Jun 24, 2017 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 28480213)
As with many of the Middle East airlines cabin crew are usually mostly Filipino - indeed Filipina.

I suspect they are entitled to an air crew/transport workers visa......If not then most of them won't get visas on time and will end up paying something North of £400 for six months Tourist Visa!

Mostly Filipinas - sorry that's nonsense. Their crews are well spread, its why for example EK usually announce "our crew today comes from 12 different countries and speaks 14 different languages".

In my experience only Saudia had a leaning towards Filipinas but that has changed in recent years as they have recruited more widely.

There is no doubt in my mind that if QR needed to put together all-EU crews they could.

Tobias-UK Jun 24, 2017 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 28480213)

They would not be allowed to work if they arrived on a visit visa (a U.K. Visit Visa is £89 by the way). The crew will not need a visa under this current proposal.

Modo Jun 24, 2017 2:30 am

Technically correct on both counts

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 28480672)
They would not be allowed to work if they arrived on a visit visa (a U.K. Visit Visa is £89 by the way). The crew will not need a visa under this current proposal.

They can stay for 7 days if returning on the same plane or on another flight to leave. CRM02 2.4

Whether the EU is going to be happy if the 7 days is used up or extended by non EU nationals repeatedly crewing flights in and out of The UK within Europe is likely to lead to some "deliberation".

The comment on the UK visit visa was admittedly OT and flippant. The headline cost of applying for a UK visit visa by many Asian Nationals is technically fixed in UK£, despite the collapse in value of the £. The application offers a decision within 30 days - not guaranteed. A decision within 7 days requires a massively higher fee. As I said OT and "probably" not pertinent but the system and reportable/reported KPI's are currently subject of some political questioning.

Tobias-UK Jun 24, 2017 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 28480760)
They can stay for 7 days if returning on the same plane or on another flight to leave. CRM02 2.4

Whether the EU is going to be happy if the 7 days is used up or extended by non EU nationals repeatedly crewing flights in and out of The UK within Europe is likely to lead to some "deliberation".

The comment on the UK visit visa was admittedly OT and flippant. The headline cost of applying for a UK visit visa by many Asian Nationals is technically fixed in UK£, despite the collapse in value of the £. The application offers a decision within 30 days - not guaranteed. A decision within 7 days requires a massively higher fee. As I said OT and "probably" not pertinent but the system and reportable/reported KPI's are currently subject of some political questioning.

My comments were nnot technically correct, but legally correct. Such crew would not need any visa (entry clearance) under the proposal. The Employment rights of non-EU/EEA nationals whilst in the UK has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.

Anyone arriving in the UK on a visitor visa is prohibited absolutely from undertaking any kind of work or employment.

Modo Jun 24, 2017 6:17 am

I bow out - not interested in an FT spat

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 28480817)
nnot technically correct, but legally correct. .

I bow out - I didn't realise the Court of Appeal had ruled already.

As my father used to advise "these companies and unions have their own overly paid legal advisors this is not your job - you only have the chance to lose for no recompense."

But I do have an interest as family and friends are crew on QR.

As I said;

Mixed Fleet Crew replacement flights are going to be mostly intra-EU flights? That is a genuine question.

Exceptional, Minimum Wage, Employment Rights.

Tobias-UK Jun 24, 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 28481103)
I bow out - I didn't realise the Court of Appeal had ruled already.

As my father used to advise "these companies and unions have their own overly paid legal advisors this is not your job - you only have the chance to lose for no recompense."

But I do have an interest as family and friends are crew on QR.

As I said;

Mixed Fleet Crew replacement flights are going to be mostly intra-EU flights? That is a genuine question.

Exceptional, Minimum Wage, Employment Rights.

I don't follow, what Court of Appeal ruling?