FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1849608-ba-lease-9-qatar-a320s-crews-during-strike.html)

Dan72 Jun 23, 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver (Post 28478293)
They will be departing the next day. There's nothing to prevent them arriving again that day, or the next. They just cant stay for longer than 7 days between flights without permission.

I'm sure they will actually position in from DOH and then be flying every day in a work block. This will mean possibly staying overnight at LHR or maybe somewhere else in Europe and then position back to Qatar at the end of a work block (which is likely to be 7 days or less anyway).

I'm sceptical of your understanding. I think there is a difference between the operation of 5th freedom shuttles where the host government has granted rights and Qatari aircraft and crew operating routes where it has no such rights, eg intra-EU. If this agreed, I would be surprised if there were not restrictions on what BA destinations QR aircraft can operate to.

msm2000uk Jun 23, 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Dan72 (Post 28478399)
I would be surprised if QR employed many (any!?) Qatari crew.

Quite a few of the Flight-Crew (at least 4 I know personally) are Qatari, and I know at least 6 Cabin-Crew who are Qatari too.

M

Tobias-UK Jun 23, 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 28478206)
Not convinced by that. ...

Originally Posted by Dan72 (Post 28478426)
I'm sceptical of your understanding...

#Jumbodriver is correct in his summaries of the situation and relevant law.

Jumbodriver Jun 23, 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Dan72 (Post 28478426)
I'm sceptical of your understanding. I think there is a difference between the operation of 5th freedom shuttles where the host government has granted rights and Qatari aircraft and crew operating routes where it has no such rights, eg intra-EU. If this agreed, I would be surprised if there were not restrictions on what BA destinations QR aircraft can operate to.

That's why they have to apply to the CAA. The host country will have granted rights.

HIDDY Jun 23, 2017 10:52 am

Leaving aside the politics of it all I think any move to lessen disruption to the travelling public has to be a good thing.

icegirl Jun 23, 2017 11:04 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 28478487)
Leaving aside the politics of it all I think any move to lessen disruption to the travelling public has to be a good thing.

Safety first surely?

According to the union

the lease could be in breach of aviation law, if British Airways was unable to demonstrate that an equivalent level of safety standards would be applied to the aircraft
http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/av...-cover-strike/

Calchas Jun 23, 2017 11:07 am

I think that's grasping at straws. They are not wetleasing from TK.

Hodders Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 28478517)
Safety first surely?

According to the union

Quote:
the lease could be in breach of aviation law, if British Airways was unable to demonstrate that an equivalent level of safety standards would be applied to the aircraft

But surely before the CAA grant approval BA would have to demonstrate that the application would fulfil UK CAA safety requirements.

icegirl Jun 23, 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 28478525)
I think that's grasping at straws. They are not wetleasing from TK.

Originally Posted by Hodders (Post 28478534)
But surely before the CAA grant approval BA would have to demonstrate that the application would fulfil UK CAA safety requirements.

True, a possible workaround could be to set up a codeshare agreement with QR and transfer everyone’s tickets?

Calchas Jun 23, 2017 11:17 am

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 28478553)
True, a possible workaround could be to set up a codeshare agreement with QR and transfer everyone’s tickets?

The Air Services Treaty between the UK and the State of Qatar does not allow Qatari carriers to operate flights between points in Europe and the U.K. unless those flights continue onto Qatar. .

KARFA Jun 23, 2017 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Too much travel (Post 28478193)
You do know that hundreds if not thousands of QR crew are EU passport holders right? Every flight I've been on with them has had Central European crew members, plus I've seen a smattering of Western European / Nordics crew.

Really? Who knew?

Heathrow Tower Jun 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson (Post 28478106)
Please tell me that Jumbodriver isn't a Uber-like crowdsourcing app where you can log on and order passenger jets.

EDIT: Ah, when I read your post my strained brain put a 'for' between 'them' and 'Jumbodriver'. Jumbodriver is a user in this thread. Phew.

Off to start coding up an Uber-like app/server for passenger jets...

Nearly....

https://en.wingly.io/

OccasionalFlyerPerson Jun 23, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower (Post 28478842)

Interesting. But, nothing from Leicester airport. Prices seem reasonable. I'd need to go to somewhere like Nottingham or even Burton-on-Trent to get to the originating airport.

Note: I realise you didn't post that expecting me to actually use the link, but this may actually happen.

Heathrow Tower Jun 23, 2017 1:35 pm

If you feel happy trusting yourself to a PPL with no knowledge of his/her experience, please do! ^

I'll be steering clear myself.

Calchas Jun 23, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower (Post 28479010)
If you feel happy trusting yourself to a PPL with no knowledge of his/her experience, please do! ^

I'll be steering clear myself.

Wouldn't it be illegal for a PPL to operate a commercial flight?