Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by jonas123
I suspect BA are getting a very good deal on these aircraft, probably not much more than cost. Qatar own 20% of IAG so really not in their interests to screw them over and like others have said, this helps both parties out.

£1.2m a week per aircraft? I think BA would just merge as many flights as they could and take the hit.
Why? BA is crazy rich and would spend anything to defeat strikers!

That 100,000,000+ GBP IT meltdown barely touched their wallets, it's like me losing a fiver on the street!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:16 pm

There are so many variables and assumptions that I'm not sure anyone could know how much it will cost unless they have seen the deal/contract.

What is for sure is that a well intentioned estimate could also be out by magnitudes even if one variable is wrong.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by LHRATCO
There are so many variables and assumptions that I'm not sure anyone could know how much it will cost unless they have seen the deal/contract.

What is for sure is that a well intentioned estimate could also be out by magnitudes even if one variable is wrong.

Let's just say this is costing BA more money than paying the MF fleet more!

And i doubt the MF fleet will stop striking, so they may have to do this again!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Let's just say this is costing BA more money than paying the MF fleet more!

And i doubt the MF fleet will stop striking, so they may have to do this again!
How do you know that?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by apollo00
Those that aren't downgraded due to the fixed config at least...
BA could leave the middle seat empty, and sell the QR Y class as CE. There wouldn't be any difference.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I just find the whole thing extremely distasteful. Rather than trying to bring this matter to an end, BA management are effectively inflaming the situation with this latest stunt. It just shows how much contempt they have for their employees, rather than trying reach a resolution, they seem hell-bent on teaching them a lesson. It will all come back to bite them in the end.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by headingwest
I just find the whole thing extremely distasteful. Rather than trying to bring this matter to an end, BA management are effectively inflaming the situation with this latest stunt. It just shows how much contempt they have for their employees, rather than trying reach a resolution, they seem hell-bent on teaching them a lesson. It will all come back to bite them in the end.
Why should it be BA to back down? It takes 2 to tango.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FN-GM
Why should it be BA to back down? It takes 2 to tango.
Using another airlines' equipment and crew is quite an escalation and in my opinion crosses the line of what is acceptable. They should be talking.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Are not turning up for work and causing headaches for paying passengers is acceptable?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Are not turning up for work and causing headaches for paying passengers is acceptable?
Workers have a right to withdraw their labour. Let's not get into this.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Workers have a right to withdraw their labour. Let's not get into this.
...and BA also has a right to make these alternative arrangements, if the CAA approves it.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
QR does have A321s with all coach class seating. Maybe that is what they are renting so we don't get spoiled...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
I did state it would cost them £8m in a year
Your earlier post didn't say £8m in a year, it said £8m.

I always wonder why people are happy for Unite to use any legal means to cause maximum disruption to BA, while they condemn BA for using similar tactics? All's fair in love and war (as they say)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69

I always wonder why people are happy for Unite to use any legal means to cause maximum disruption to BA, while they condemn BA for using similar tactics? All's fair in love and war (as they say)
Because, I, among others, believe BA is morally wrong by paying MF so poorly while it makes so much money.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Agent69
Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
Our head of fleet is quoted as stating to put £2,000 on every crew member's pay a year would cost them £8m.
To me, while unstated, it was implicit that it meant £8m per year.

Why try to make hay out of this? BA.MF.CSM did not mean what you thought she/he meant. Whether that was the fault of the reader or the writer is not important. It is a simple miscommunication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.