Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you lose a painting?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:02 am

I manage to walk off the train the other day completely forgetting my bike.

Luckily I realised just in time and ran back on before the doors shut, but I take no surprise in people leaving behind large obvious items.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My mother has left her carry on in taxis on the way to and from the airport multiple times. When I'm traveling with her, I've taken to checking the inside of the vehicle after she's gotten out just to make sure she has everything.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Maybe it's a deliberate loss!

'Sorry dear I put it down for a minute and it dissapeared. Probably been thrown out now. No, don't bother the lost property people ..."
+1 This!

When taking along a less-than-usual object of any sort, I try to make a habit of grouping my usual articles with my unusual--in any way possible. Sometimes it's simply putting something crucial/ordinary/attachable onto it.

At an airport, when charging my phones, I'll leave my phone tucked inside my carry-on out of sight and leave the cable extended and plugged into the outlet. (Of course, the bag needs to stay right in front of me @:-), not on the other side of the room plugged in ). Worst thing that can happen is leaving without the charger or possibly dragging the cable and charger behind you (of which neither has happened yet).

At close friends' houses, I'll lay my keys on top of my phone. In the case of a painting, I would've rigged up a cheap lasso using old charging cable and looped it into a shoelace or onto my leg. Not for absolute security, but enough to help me notice I forgot to pick it up when I stood up. It might look stupid, but, hey, it would get my painting where I wanted to take it.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by andrelux
Normally, I walk to my local supermarket (300 yds) but on this one occasion I used the car since I was passing on my way home. Bought what I needed, walked back home. Next morning, bus to the airport since I was going away for a long weekend.

Utter panic on my return four days later when the car was nowhere to be seen... was on the point of calling the police when I realised...
Lol that's a good one.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Last time in GF I almost forgot a bag with F&M tea and some shortbread and that's because I almost never shop in an airport. I think it's really easy to forget something that usually one doesn't carry.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I love the turn this thread took - I really wasn't expecting it.

So two stories of my own - I've managed to leave a DSLR camera bag at security in an airport in the US before and then this morning - about 10 minutes after posting this, I was about to walk off without my sunglasses.

But thankfully two BA marketing people who had been chatting with me pointed it out.

Almost a full dollop of karma.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:09 am

If you are not use to having an item with you it can be very easily misplaced. I have heard many times for people to return to the checkpoint to claim a lost item. Once I heard for someone to claim a big screen TV pre 9/11.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
So sitting in the CCR and I've heard repeated announcements to come to guest services if you've lost a painting (and reading glasses).

Now ... a rolled up painting I could understand. But I've seen it being moved - it's framed, and it's not small, like the size of a carry on (width/length) bag.

How, on earth, do you forget that?
Don't know if it is still the same but in the past I have sat next to a painting in economy to New York. Being transported by a courier from an art gallery. Cheaper to book 2 seats in economy that pay for express transit. He was bringing something back as well.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jun 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:13 am

I left a Chair at the cinema a few weeks ago. Alcohol was involved. I haven't been back to claim it.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
On a whim I bought some horse sculptures with lamps on their heads. By the time I got to the gate I realised that I probably left them at the lounge.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
On a whim I bought some horse sculptures with lamps on their heads. By the time I got to the gate I realised that I probably left them at the lounge.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:09 pm

I'll see your painting and I'll raise you A CHILD!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18391663
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Perhaps it was a tip for the CCR waitstaff?

Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:50 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Part of me is hoping that the painting in question is The Fallen Madonna by Van Klomp.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I left a Chair at the cinema a few weeks ago. Alcohol was involved. I haven't been back to claim it.
Ahh sounds like your chair is not that important

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.