Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Concorde Lounge-tipping etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would find a senior member of staff and tell them how helpful/attentive that particular staff member had been.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Please don't.
Exactly.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
There are some rafter stingy and ungenerous folk here. If the OP wants to tip the staff, good on him. The CCR staff are bloody hardworking and would be absolutely thrilled to receive a tip. It's not often they feel appreciated, at times they have to put up with some rather difficult and unpleasant passengers. If anyone feels moved to tip, do so. Make someone's day ^
cunardqueen likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by irish_goat
I'd say go ahead and tip. I'm sure Americans do it all the time.
Just as a data point for consideration, Centurion Lounge staff are not allowed to accept tips. (EDIT: was referring specifically to waitstaff here, not bartenders.)

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
There are some rafter stingy and ungenerous folk here. If the OP wants to tip the staff, good on him. The CCR staff are bloody hardworking and would be absolutely thrilled to receive a tip. It's not often they feel appreciated, at times they have to put up with some rather difficult and unpleasant passengers. If anyone feels moved to tip, do so. Make someone's day ^
Cultural norms still have to be respected. There are many countries in which a tip would be considered an outright insult. Personally, if I feel that a certain labor role is under-compensated, I would rather push for better compensation than make customers directly subsidize corporate wages.

Last edited by gengar; Jun 21, 2017 at 11:57 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Just as a data point for consideration, Centurion Lounge staff are not allowed to accept tips.

Cultural norms still have to be respected. There are many countries in which a tip would be considered an outright insult. Personally, if I feel that a certain labor role is under-compensated, I would rather push for better compensation than make customers directly subsidize corporate wages.
Indeed, and fortunately the UK is not one of those countries where leaving a tip would be considered insulting.

People shouldn't feel obliged to tip in the CCR, it is certainly not expected. But those who are minded to tip for particularly good service should not be discouraged, that is unfair. It's good to feel appreciated you know.
abersoch3254 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Indeed, and fortunately the UK is not one of those countries where leaving a tip would be considered insulting.
And yet even in the UK, there are labor positions where a tip would commonly be refused and/or considered an insult.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:46 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Just as a data point for consideration, Centurion Lounge staff are not allowed to accept tips.
Tipping is commonplace at least at the LAS Centurion Lounge.
indiahoosier likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by C W
Tipping is commonplace at least at the LAS Centurion Lounge.
I have explicitly been told by waitstaff at the LAS Centurion Lounge that they are not allowed to accept tips.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:52 am

And yet even in the UK, there are labor positions where a tip would commonly be refused and/or considered an insult.
Fortunately the CCR is not such a place. Tips are greatly appreciated by the waiting staff.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:52 am
C W

I have explicitly been told by waitstaff at the LAS Centurion Lounge that they are not allowed to accept tips.
Interesting. I have never been there and not seen bar staff accepting tips. I visit about 10 times a year.

I have never seen an attempt to tip a non-bartender member of the staff.

And you could be entirely correct and yet it's happening anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:53 am

That is very strange, they even have a big jar on the bar with "TIPS" written on it!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by C W
Interesting. I have never been there and not seen bar staff accepting tips. I visit about 10 times a year.

I have never seen an attempt to tip a non-bartender member of the staff.

And you could be entirely correct and it's happening anyway.
Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was not referring to bartenders/bar staff (as that's not what I believe OP was referring to either) - I was talking about the roaming waitstaff at Centurion Lounges who collect finished plates / clean tables (and when it's not busy, have occasionally gotten me drink refills and the like). I'll edit the post you quoted appropriately.

In any case, I suppose this distinction just highlights what I was talking about in my post 21.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:58 am
C W

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was not referring to bartenders/bar staff (as that's not what I believe OP was referring to either) - I was talking about the roaming waitstaff at Centurion Lounges who collect finished plates / clean tables (and when it's not busy, have occasionally gotten me drink refills and the like). I'll edit the post you quoted appropriately.

In any case, I suppose this distinction just highlights what I was talking about in my post 21.
Ahh I see now. Interesting distinction on management's part.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by C W
Ahh I see now. Interesting distinction on management's part.
My experience in the LAS Centurian Lounge is very different, I've regularly seen staff who have brought dinks over to the tables receive tips.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:04 pm
C W

My experience in the LAS Centurian Lounge is very different, I've regularly seen staff who have brought dinks over to the tables receive tips.
I can only comment on experience with the bar staff as I only sit at the bar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.