LHR Concorde Lounge-tipping etiquette?

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
LHR Concorde Lounge-tipping etiquette?

I am just concluding a very pleasant stay in the CCR before pootling off to Tokyo.

Throughout the 2-3 hours I've been here, one hostess? has been brilliant. I've done well to empty my glass before a refill has appeared along with more smoked salmon et al. The young lady has definitely added, in a very positive sense, to one of my rare CCR experiences (especially without Mrs AQ who's unfortunately not well enough to travel this time).

So, is it okay to leave her a tip or ix that frow ec upon, lime in Japan? Should I just leave her a well done on BA.com or my Golden Ticket?

I need to leave shortly so any timely opinions, please?

AQ
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I tip bar staff in US lounges, but never considered this in UK
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Tipping is certainly not expected in the CCR - however I have also tipped one of the ladies in there once when I had a very similar experience. I did it out of general eyeshot and very discretely.

A welldone or Golden Ticket won't work for the CCR staff unfortunately as they don't work for BA.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC
I'd say go ahead and tip. I'm sure Americans do it all the time.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:57 am

I'd also say that a discreet word of thanks explaining just how much their service has contributed to your enjoyment goes a long way in the UK.

Mr W is in the habit of doing this in all manner of places and the effect is amazing. Most people's faces light up. We should all do it more in these often depressing and hurried times.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by irish_goat
I'd say go ahead and tip. I'm sure Americans do it all the time.
But tipping is in Americans' DNA - they just can't help it, even in countries where it is unknown or even offensive to do so.

I've seen groups of American tourists leave a wad of notes - sometimes even US dollars - on restaurant tables in Berlin, causing all sorts of confusion amongst the staff.

Personally, I'd say that tipping in an airport lounge, especially in the UK, is tacky and embarrassing.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Tipping does very occasionally happen in CCR T5, rather more often at T7. It will be gratefully received and treated as unexpected. But a word with Pietro (today) would be another solution
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Tipping is certainly not expected in the CCR - however I have also tipped one of the ladies in there once when I had a very similar experience. I did it out of general eyeshot and very discretely.

A welldone or Golden Ticket won't work for the CCR staff unfortunately as they don't work for BA.
Golden Tickets and Well Dones are DEFINITELY welcomed by the CCR staff - several of them have been invited to special events because of the number of Golden Tickets and 'Well Dones' they receive and all these 'thank yous' are recorded on their work record.

Tips are not expected, but when they are offered to the staff any tip will be gratefully accepted and very much appreciated.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
But tipping is in Americans' DNA - they just can't help it, even in countries where it is unknown or even offensive to do so.

Personally, I'd say that tipping in an airport lounge, especially in the UK, is tacky and embarrassing.
My thoughts exactly.

I very much doubt anyone would choose to tip a member of CC in a first class cabin (or indeed any other part of the aircraft) - so why in an airport lounge ?

I have very often been the beneficiary of outstanding service from personnel in various lounges and premium cabins, and am of firmly of the view that a few quiet, sincere words of appreciation towards the end of the visit/ flight are far more appropriate than cash.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:37 am

Leave a note with an invitation for a special whatever... so she can accept or not...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:08 am

I'd be pretty anti-tipping in the CCR not least because it will probably be standard in a few years' time anyway so anything that might even slightly bring that forward is to be resisted. Look at restaurants here in London - it's not that long ago that 10% became ubiquitous. Then it was 12.5%. And at a restaurant last night I had my first London 13.5% (at least that I've noticed)...

Next stage you'll be chased down the street if you tip under 15% and all our receipts will have 'helpful' reminders of the total amount at 15/17.5/20% tip levels.

</rant>
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:30 am

Next stage you'll be chased down the street if you tip under 15% and all our receipts will have 'helpful' reminders of the total amount at 15/17.5/20% tip levels.

</rant>[/QUOTE]

Obviously not done the Four Seasons recently.

"helpful" reminders were 18/20/22%
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Please don't.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
This is a very good issue raised but also one that could be hard to calculate as food and drink currently does not adhere to a buy in lounge model. I am guessing perhaps £10ph, so for the OP £25ish. Fair?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback

Obviously not done the Four Seasons recently.

"helpful" reminders were 18/20/22%
In London?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.