Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The real proof BA is no longer 'British'...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The real proof BA is no longer 'British'...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Chicken Tikka is an Indian dish, widely consumed there and also called exactly that. Madhur Jaffrey tried to teach Indian cooking to firangs and probably started with easier things.

The English invented the term 'madras curry' and 'curry' in general which has nothing to do with the secret mix of spices each Indian cook has in his/her arsenal. Kari leaves find no use in the northern Indian food sold as curry world wide
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Chicken Tikka is an Indian dish, widely consumed there and also called exactly that. Madhur Jaffrey tried to teach Indian cooking to firangs and probably started with easier things.
She published some very complicated recipes in both those books, so I don't think it was an "easier" issue
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Chicken Tikka is an Indian dish, widely consumed there and also called exactly that.
That isn't in dispute. What is open to question is whether they are eating a Scottish dish or not. Balti is now widely available in India, and I don't think there is any dispute that is from Birmingham.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A detailed search of the kitchen bookcase (some 90 assorted cook-books, including 7 specifically of the Indian persuasion) has uncovered just one reference to CTM ... but a few to its dry cousin CT. This of course proves very little, other than CTM seems less than 'mainstream' ... except in your local 'British' curry-shop

Still, we can't blame BA for that (getting back on topic)

Last edited by T8191; Jul 3, 2017 at 6:55 am
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Yes you dont get many in the uk saying Zucchini

Interestingly the English get many of our cookery terms from the french, whereas the US go for the Italian.

There are quite a few - not always based on this though:
Cilantro v Coriander
Eggplant v aubergine
Rutabaga v Swede
Arugula v Rocket
Mimosa v Bucks fizz
Fava v Broad Bean
Snow Peas v Mange Tout
Garbanzo v Chick peas

Mmm - I remember shopping for hours at Sainsbury's looking for Cilantro...
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect the USA acquired more Italian immigrants than French: the latter might have naturally headed for Canada
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
My son and I have just finished cooking a Lemon Courgette cake for my Mother in Laws birthday this evening and I have to say the results are quite pleasing. Even my son has put aside his strong anti vegetable prejudiced.

Definitely a good way to use up courgettes before you go on holiday (which may be why we sometimes see it in the lounge, efficient use of veg before their use by date, which by the way I thoroughly approve of).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:19 pm

Leaving aside curry, 'beverages' is a word you don't see much in the UK. Yes I know what it means but it's much more widely used across the Atlantic.

'I'm going shopping on Bond'. Please Americans, it's Bond Street, or Oxford Street, or Park Lane.

And save 'blocks' for grid cities. They don't work so well in Europe.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by T8191
My 1976 edition of Madhur Jaffrey's "An Invitation to Indian Cooking" makes no mention of Chicken Tikka Masala, nor does her 1982 "Indian Cooking". It would seem she does not regard it worthy of inclusion in either volume
Madhur Jaffrey is a prolific writer....however she is but one of hundreds...In India cookery books area relatively new genre....recipes are handed down thru generations.

The English invented the term 'madras curry' and 'curry' in general which has nothing to do with the secret mix of spices each Indian cook has in his/her arsenal. Kari leaves find no use in the northern Indian food sold as curry world wide
+100 re teaching firangis
Madras is(was) a city in South India. Original name Chennai but was called Madras because the firangis could not pronounce Chennai ! To this date an Indian is mystified when someone says I like curry. the follow up is which curry as in ( veg., mutton, lamb, etc.

A detailed search of the kitchen bookcase (some 90 assorted cook-books, including 7 specifically of the Indian persuasion) has uncovered just one reference to CTM ... but a few to its dry cousin CT. This of course proves very little, other than CTM seems less than 'mainstream' ... except in your local 'British' curry-shop

Still, we can't blame BA for that (getting back on topic)
Chicken Tikka was/ is the original dish, the word Masala meaning a combination of various spices was part of it but was added to the name, making it more exotic for the non Indians The trend in India today is more fusion or dressing up old Indian recipes with addition of minor ingredients, renaming, and making fancy presentations. I steer clear of them when in India.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I suspect the USA acquired more Italian immigrants than French: the latter might have naturally headed for Canada
A lot more..

Of the major European countries, France is probably pretty lowly ranked in terms of the number of historical immigration to the new world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.