Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I was told priority tags make no difference...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I was told priority tags make no difference...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:45 am

So if my understanding is right, the tags really are pointless and are just there as a comfort factor/feel good factor for the traveller.

And on the actual prioritisation of baggage, it is possible, but only if the airline wants to make the investment and pay for it. Where there's a will, there's a way as they say, because clearly there are airlines that manage to deliver on it pretty much 100% of the time.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Internaut
I get told a lot of things. Then there's what I experience. Based on that experience, you are definitely right about Asia!
Agreed! I have never failed to have a bag turn up one of the first off the belt in Asia regardless of what Cabin I fly in
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Question about the AKE ("containers") - are they used in all airplanes that BA operates, or f.ex "always" in certain types of planes, like 777 or 747 and never on others, like A320, etc?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
Flying into BCN, having a priority tag on your luggage will almost certainly mean it is among the very last to appear on the belt

I speak from several years of experience !
Same with me. It definitely makes a difference in my experience. By ensuring that my bag is out last.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Question about the AKE ("containers") - are they used in all airplanes that BA operates, or f.ex "always" in certain types of planes, like 777 or 747 and never on others, like A320, etc?
Pretty much all BA services. Automated loading into AKE isn't that common, but it's the standard at LHR T3 and T5, elsewhere the AKEs are manually loaded. The obvious exceptions are BACF, CWLCY and leases.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:48 am

NO difference on BA or any other carrier. Just arrived off a EK flight at DFW, 1 bag was dead last.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
They come in various shapes and sizes and some are specific to certain aircraft types. BA A320's are containerised and they take an AKH container which is smaller than the AKE pictured in C-W-S' photo. In the past some A320's BA inherited from various sources were not containerised and they lived in T1/T3.

Low cost airlines generally bulk load their bags, flag carriers use containers as it makes it easier to handle things like transfer bags and priority bags...sometimes.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: BA silver
I am pretty sure they do make a difference- it's becoming a standing joke with us that every time we have priority tags are bags are amongst the last off.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
BA Priority tags don't mean anything to luggage handlers in UK, or Canada. But they do in places where priority baggage handling is taken seriously. Like in SIN, HKG, BKK, (and to a certain extent KUL). I've had BA Priority bags come out before others at these airports.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Recently I flew four flights on BA (SEA/LHR, LHR/LIS, MAD/LHR and LHR/DFW - change to an AA DFW/PHX fliight). Priority tagged bags. They were not the first bags -- but they definitely were early relative to most of the other luggage. With 747 flights that made a big difference (both long haul were 747's).

So I believe the priority tags make (or at least tend to make) a difference.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Same with me. It definitely makes a difference in my experience. By ensuring that my bag is out last.
So if I may ask, why do you keep doing it? Over years? There's not even that many hold bags on a Lon-Mad so whether you're first or last out doesn't make much difference.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:29 am

Airlines like SQ, NH and JL apply priority baggage religiously on every service, and it's always an interesting experience waiting at the belt because it will often come out in a precise sequence of rank, i.e. F and PPS Solitaire first, then Business and PPS, then Star Gold, then the rest.

So it can be done, if an airline is sufficiently bothered and puts some thought into it.

I think anyone working for those airlines would be horrified if their check-in agent said "oh, those don't work anyway"!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by stargold
Airlines like SQ, NH and JL apply priority baggage religiously on every service, and it's always an interesting experience waiting at the belt because it will often come out in a precise sequence of rank, i.e. F and PPS Solitaire first, then Business and PPS, then Star Gold, then the rest.

So it can be done, if an airline is sufficiently bothered and puts some thought into it.

I think anyone working for those airlines would be horrified if their check-in agent said "oh, those don't work anyway"!
Agree on all counts. It certainly reflects my experience and as someone said earlier it seems that airlines like CX will do BA's work for them and re-sort. My Priority tag may have been a useless bit of paper when it left LHR on BA, but when it got put on to a CX flight in HKG it did what it said on the tin. Embarrassing that BA think it's OK to tell customers that things don't work / are useless but do it anyway. Sounds like British Rail in the 1980's. Certainly won't encourage me to take more than a minimum 4 flights a year on BA.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
As noted by FrancisA, BA does not provide priority baggage handling and when priority baggage handling was adopted by oneworld for elites BA operated flights were specifically excepted from this benefit.
From oneworld.com:

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...gs-matter.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-emeralds.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-economy.html
Jerry,
Thanks for the clarification. I find it really interesting that BA were able to get an exemption from what is otherwise standard oneworld policy. In any case, based on all my experiences on other airlines that get this right, I stand by my earlier claim that BA could solve this if they wanted to. It's obvious that they just don't want to invest the time or money to get this right, which is their decision to make, just as it is my decision to make this a contributing factor in whether or not I continue to use BA for my transatlantic travel.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think priority tags might be an enormous informational benefit to the light-fingered baggage handlers the world over...after all which bags would you rifle through?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.