Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I was told priority tags make no difference...

Old Jun 14, 17, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver

I recently checked in two bags at LHR T5 for a longhaul flight on BA with an onward connection on CX. I have a silver card but sadly on this itinerary was flying economy. I checked in at a Club World counter. I felt slightly embarrassed to have to ask the check in agent for the baggage to be priority tagged after she failed to do so. I was surprised to hear her reply, "Oh really? I don't think they make much difference to be honest." My end destination being in Asia, I explained that priority tags make a world of difference: 9/10 times my bags are out in the first batch, it saves a lot of time.

I must say that I was quite surprised to hear this from a BA check in agent, has anyone else heard this before or agree with what she said? I rarely travel in Europe with checked in bags on BA so I wouldn't know.
Old Jun 14, 17, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
From what I understand... If bags are loaded at LHR under BAs control, they make no difference. My bag is pretty much always one of the first 10-20 bags... Today I picked up my bag at LHR after doing 3 flights in Asia, last one BA First SIN-LHR, and it had a First sticker... didn't make any difference whatsoever. At least 40-50 bags ahead of mine. Think it depends mainly on what airport your bags get loaded at, but happy to be proven wrong
Old Jun 14, 17, 5:53 am

out of T5 all that matters is the barcode and AIUI it is only encoded into CW and F tickets now. Once youre in less automated airports (e.g. a connection) it can help if they are manually filtering the bags into containers.
Old Jun 14, 17, 5:54 am

Programs: QR Gold/CX Silver/EK Silver/EY Gold/Spire Royal Ambassador/Hilton Diamond
Hi
Yes it does make a difference if you are flying premium airlines like cathay/sq/qatar my bags 9 out of 10 times are out right away but ba lately is non premium rubbish airline so it really wont make a difference even if you have first class tags on them. This is my first hand experience.
Old Jun 14, 17, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
They certainly don't make any difference when arriving at LHR. I speak from personal experience.

Despite having a first tag on my bag, it still came out after a whole load of bags with no priority label on whatsoever. Wasn't a one off either.
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Could be a coincidence, but I have found they make a difference at LOS.
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:23 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Last time I few IST-LHR I asked not to have priority tags and low and behold my bag came out 2nd.

Then on the leg LHR to MAN same bag with priority tags came out somewhere towards the end.

I am fairly confident that they make little or no difference apart from at IST where they are useful for the baggage handlers to know which bags to priortise for checking through for valuables.
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I've been told this and it makes sense when departing from Heathrow where the allocation of bags to containers is an automatic process and it's strictly done on the barcode...priority tags will make no difference in those circumstances.

That status passengers don't get priority encoded in the barcodes is a separate (and in my opinion valid) complaint.

As already mentioned, there are airports where I consider this a distinct advantage as priority tags might as well say 'please steal from this bag'...
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post
From what I understand... If bags are loaded at LHR under BAs control, they make no difference. My bag is pretty much always one of the first 10-20 bags... Today I picked up my bag at LHR after doing 3 flights in Asia, last one BA First SIN-LHR, and it had a First sticker... didn't make any difference whatsoever. At least 40-50 bags ahead of mine. Think it depends mainly on what airport your bags get loaded at, but happy to be proven wrong
On SIN-LHR I would not be surprised with a J cabin, an F cabin, Gold and Silver card holders, there will easily be 40 or 50 people entitled to priority baggage, many of those will have more than 1 bag, so it would not surprise. If there are 300 bags on the plane, arrive in the first 100 is probably priority.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jun 14, 17 at 7:08 am
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Flying into BCN, having a priority tag on your luggage will almost certainly mean it is among the very last to appear on the belt

I speak from several years of experience !
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:59 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I have found that on BA, MH CX, QR and even AA all managed to get my bags out one of the first batch in the US and anywhere in Asia even when flying in Y as Emerald on the other airlines. Just not BA into the UK / EU

In the UK and parts of europe it's useless.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat Ambassador
... at lest once check-in agent was right

No difference on BA...

And I think with BA only Emeralds get priority tags.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980 View Post
out of T5 all that matters is the barcode and AIUI it is only encoded into CW and F tickets now. Once youre in less automated airports (e.g. a connection) it can help if they are manually filtering the bags into containers.
Flying Y from LHR and checking in from the selv-tagging check-in machines/counters, my printed and self-applied luggage tag said in capital "PRIORITY" above the destination (s/h). I am Gold.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriot Gold.
Well, there's a thing.

When flying on VS, their priority luggage worked... Mostly. Some airports not so much, but largely, Upper etc's bags came out first on the belt.

On BA, I'd forgotten that they were supposed to come out first, after about three years of flying from T5.

Then I flew from T3, seemed to be normal non priority on the way out to PHX, but on way back from DEN, ours was out very early. Could have been a coincidence, but a combo of BA T5, and airports, but seems to work better from or to T3.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Silver
The tags don't make any difference arriving into DXB, last time I traveled F to DXB, originating in ABZ I had no tags put on my bag, however it was ready and waiting off of the carousel with the rest of the F passengers luggage (all yellow tagged) before the carousel was even on when I arrived from a very short immigration Q.

As mentioned above, it is the coded barcode which contains the cabin info which makes the difference in certain airports, visually this should correspond with the orange and yellow tags, however.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: