Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the food better on British Airways or AA? Economy or similar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

I could have paid the same amount by still booking on BA, but have selected more legs with AA. Which is considered better for food options in economy? Should we buy food to take onboard instead? Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
I could have paid the same amount by still booking on BA, but have selected more legs with AA. Which is considered better for food options in economy? Should we buy food to take onboard instead? Thanks!
Are you flying on AA? Maybe ask over there?

You get more free drinks on BA, and if you like Pizza I understand thats the 2nd meal frequently on AA.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Which legs are you taking? You won't get any food AA domestic in Y I believe (I'm usually in F on a cheapie exEU!)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I chose BA for 4 out of the 5 legs, but could have chosen AA for an almost identical flight length of time/price. It does include a couple of meals for economy since it's international from the US to Europe and back. We're just starting to travel more and I'd like to know for future flights. First always seems to be passable if not great, but I'm curious about economy flights which doesn't get discussed as often.

Current flight plan is ATL - ORD - LHR - FCO. Then FCO - PHL - ATL. Our other flights will be with a different airline, so not applicable.

We have lounge access and were thinking that maybe we should try to take a couple of granola bars just in case or simply plan to eat a real meal prior to boarding.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Jun 13, 2017 at 4:02 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I chose BA for 4 out of the 5 legs, but could have chosen AA for more for an almost identical flight length of time/price. It does include a couple of meals for economy since it's international from the US to Europe and back. We're just starting to travel more and I'd like to know for future flights. First always seems to be passable if not great, but I'm curious about economy flights which doesn't get discussed as often.
As a general rule, I find long-haul transatlantic meals on BA to be the 'best' on offer between the larger transatlantic airlines (including AA, DL, LH, AF, VS etc). However, I now do actively choose AA (by default) if on a west-bound Y flight to the East coast, because of BA essentially ditching the 2nd meal service. With BA, all drinks are included (including spirits and mixers), which is a marked improvement on any AA TA flight (at least for me).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA0197
As a general rule, I find long-haul transatlantic meals on BA to be the 'best' on offer between the larger transatlantic airlines (including AA, DL, LH, AF, VS etc). However, I now do actively choose AA (by default) if on a west-bound Y flight to the East coast, because of BA essentially ditching the 2nd meal service. With BA, all drinks are included (including spirits and mixers), which is a marked improvement on any AA TA flight (at least for me).
To clarify, drinks are complimentary even for economy on BA? I wasn't expecting that. It might be cheaper to just buy a snack box if we aren't satisfied with the meal than to buy 1-2 drinks.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Long haul economy - drinks free, short haul buy on board
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
To clarify, drinks are complimentary even for economy on BA? I wasn't expecting that. It might be cheaper to just buy a snack box if we aren't satisfied with the meal than to buy 1-2 drinks.
Hi,

Yes they are ( on long haul ie transatlantic). within europe and the UK you will have to pay for all the drinks in economy

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Which legs are you taking? You won't get any food AA domestic in Y I believe (I'm usually in F on a cheapie exEU!)
Snacks*! I was in Y last time as the F only became available after an equipment change.

*Flight has to be >250 mi long.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Yes, even in longhaul economy, BA provides all drinks (including alcoholic ones) free of charge. You're welcome to as many as you can muster and by all accounts, BA crew are gracefully generous when it comes to handing them out at any time during the flight.

What is not free however, is any form of food or drink on the short-haul segments of your journey with BA (i.e. the LHR-FCO flight).

Considering your full journey (if you have OW status that permits you lounge access and not just an AA Club membership), I'd suggest having a light snack and drink in the BA lounge at ORD, eat the meal onboard (dinner and a very light breakfast), then eat breakfast properly in the BA lounge in T5 in preparation for your meal-less hop to Rome. Should time permit you to do so of course.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA0197

Considering your full journey (if you have OW status that permits you lounge access and not just an AA Club membership), I'd suggest having a light snack and drink in the BA lounge at ORD, eat the meal onboard (dinner and a very light breakfast), then eat breakfast properly in the BA lounge in T5 in preparation for your meal-less hop to Rome. Should time permit you to do so of course.
I was working on this just now with TripIt. We have Priority Pass unlimited with the credit cards. We have on average about 90 minutes between flights (give or take a bit), but will be in the same terminal of a lounge for all but one leg, so that seems like enough time to grab a bite of something if the flight isn't too delayed. It sounds like we'll be like bunnies and just nibble here and there.

Thank you to everyone for answering my questions. That will help structure my future flights.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I find that the first main meal is generally better on BA, but AA wins out on the second meal/snack and this is most noticeable on the westbound. AA will give you a hot pastry snack and a muffin and soft drink, whereas BA will give you a mini sized chocolate bar and a drink (though I think they might have been improved slightly now?). It all depends on how important food and drink is to you. Personally, I would also consider the plane type in my decision making if there is not much difference in price and timings (eg. refurbished vs old 747s, twin aisle vs single aisle etc)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firipu
I find that the first main meal is generally better on BA, but AA wins out on the second meal/snack and this is most noticeable on the westbound. AA will give you a hot pastry snack and a muffin and soft drink, whereas BA will give you a mini sized chocolate bar and a drink (though I think they might have been improved slightly now?). It all depends on how important food and drink is to you. Personally, I would also consider the plane type in my decision making if there is not much difference in price and timings (eg. refurbished vs old 747s, twin aisle vs single aisle etc)
Do any help with sleeping? I've been ordering different travel pillows, but none seem to have enough support. I can skip meals or nibble, but the lack of sleep drives us all crazy. I just couldn't pay that much more for First for 4 people when it's not being refunded.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: loyalty?! BA Gold, DL Platinum
Do any help with sleeping? I've been ordering different travel pillows, but none seem to have enough support. I can skip meals or nibble, but the lack of sleep drives us all crazy. I just couldn't pay that much more for First for 4 people when it's not being refunded.
I find BA's headrests actually very good in economy. Meals, let's be honest, they're all crap whoever you fly. I highly suggest getting some quality food in the terminal or at home so that you may self cater as much as possible, eat on your ideal times. If I am stuck in economy I rarely eat their food, but I agree BA out of LHR is prob better than AA.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Many choices between Economy and First! Business, World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy on BA), and on AA you have Main Cabin Extra which is a supplement on Economy, not available on all routes - don't think FCO-PHL has it.

You might find Iberia more comfortable for the outbound, as they have a nice 2-4-2 cabin in Economy. Perhaps ATL-JFK/BOS/MIA-MAD-FCO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.