Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unused seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Whatever you do please, please, please do not scan their BP.

As someone who has witnessed the whole of the airside section of a terminal being evacuated, and being party to some of the decision making behind it, I wouldn't want it to happen again for anything but a genuine security threat.

.....and a missing passenger is treated as a very real security threat now.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Indeed, people are getting a little silly in some of the later posts which whilst unhelpful hopefully the OP can see through to some appropriate advice.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by adamkenneth
My emphasis added above. On what basis would this be illegal? I wouldn't be surprised if it were covered by some sweeping piece of anti-terror legislation, but I'd be intrigued to know what exactly.

All UK passenger airports are security restricted areas under the Aviation Security Act 1982. This is nothing to do with terrorism legislation. To enter such an area on false documents will be an offence.

If you want to know how you will get caught, try it and find out. (And enjoy your time in jail.)

I would also say that if your entire moral compass is a risk assessment as to whether you are likely to get caught, you really are a sad individual!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
.....and a missing passenger is treated as a very real security threat now.
How frequently does this happen then? Is it particularly exceptional?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Do you seriously believe that if you are on a terrorist watch list, you can borrow someone else's boarding pass and enter a secure and restricted area, such as an airport, and there are no procedures in place to stop that?
I'll assume sarcasm

All UK passenger airports are security restricted areas under the Aviation Security Act 1982. This is nothing to do with terrorism legislation. To enter such an area on false documents will be an offence.
Not sure anyone has doubted this outright.
If you want to know how you will get caught, try it and find out. (And enjoy your time in jail.)
Challenge accepted. (Figuring out how one would get caught. Not actually doing it. And not going to jail even if it were done, because wouldn't be caught under current measures.
I would also say that if your entire moral compass is a risk assessment as to whether you are likely to get caught, you really are a sad individual!
Your moral compass tells you to call others sad individuals for merely speculating over likelihoods. A lot of people make an honest living speculating over likelihoods.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Grog
I'll assume sarcasm

Not sure anyone has doubted this outright.
Challenge accepted. (Figuring out how one would get caught. Not actually doing it. And not going to jail even if it were done, because wouldn't be caught under current measures.
Your moral compass tells you to call others sad individuals for merely speculating over likelihoods. A lot of people make an honest living speculating over likelihoods.
Does anyone seriously believe that what you see, is what you get in terms of security at airports or elsewhere? It sounds very naive to me.

As for the moral compass point, this thread has not been about actuaries having an informed discussion on the likelihood of being apprehended for a security breach. Instead I would interpret certain posts as incitements to ignore the law and common sense to the potential detriment of many passengers.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Deltus
How frequently does this happen then? Is it particularly exceptional?
You'll understand I won't be answering that.^
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold

If an empty seat is that important, why not ask BA if they will convert the booking to a comfort seat?
This is probably worth a shot assuming you're in Y... That way you're official and not at risk of an armed response at the gate, or stand by passenger taking the seat.

​​​​​​However YMMV given BA's usual benevolence... Booking an extra seat for additional personal spacehttps://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL
The only way to increase the likelihood of it being empty would be for your companion to check in remotely via the app, declare they're checking no bags, then not arrive to the airport.

Even then, if the flight is particularly busy they will be considered as a no-show having not passed security. So it's no guarantee.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Does anyone seriously believe that what you see, is what you get in terms of security at airports or elsewhere? It sounds very naive to me.

As for the moral compass point, this thread has not been about actuaries having an informed discussion on the likelihood of being apprehended for a security breach. Instead I would interpret certain posts as incitements to ignore the law and common sense to the potential detriment of many passengers.
I'm done discussing security. I know what I know. And you know what you know. But you assume I'm ignorant of in-place measures which I'm not in the least. Anyway, we're not going to get any further on this.

As for moral compass, I read your words and responded based on your words. That's all I could do.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA gold
Edit: failed to read the whole thread
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
You'll understand I won't be answering that.^
Fair enough, and I'm sure you know better than I do even if you can't say, but I can't believe that the airside terminal is evacuated every time a passenger exits without telling anyone...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
Fair enough, and I'm sure you know better than I do even if you can't say, but I can't believe that the airside terminal is evacuated every time a passenger exits without telling anyone...
Exiting the airside area isn't what is being noted as the problem though.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
The only way to increase the likelihood of it being empty would be for your companion to check in remotely via the app, declare they're checking no bags, then not arrive to the airport.

Even then, if the flight is particularly busy they will be considered as a no-show having not passed security. So it's no guarantee.
At T5 with conformance they would be offloaded automatically at T-35 mins.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Can the OP change the second seat to their name claiming health reasons ? Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.