FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Unused seat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1846819-unused-seat.html)

Bill Bob Jun 7, 2017 4:18 am

Unused seat

Booked two seats with BA for a long hall flight and reserved our seats on line the person I was going with can no longer travel and will not be checking in with me

I was told by the agent that I can’t get a refund because of the ticket type, but will BA let someone else take the seat I have paid for or will I have an empty seat next to me ?

thanks

Paralytic Jun 7, 2017 4:20 am

Whether it gets filled by someone else will depend on if/when the ticket is cancelled, how busy the flight is and how desirable the seat is, but it will not be blocked out for you.

layz Jun 7, 2017 4:21 am

You should be able to claim the taxes back (minus an admin fee).

However, you're not even guaranteed an empty seat, if the person is a no show and there happens to be standby passengers they will get this seat.

As for changing the name on the ticket, this might be possible but I think changes are expensive if the name change is to a different person (rather than correcting a typo).

missdimeaner Jun 7, 2017 4:23 am

You have no guarantee that the seat will remain empty.
So the answer is 'it depends'.
It is hard to quantify as there is no way of knowing how busy your flight will be and to what extent any rebooking of connections may take place.

Bill Bob Jun 7, 2017 4:24 am

thanks

No I have not cancelled the ticket.. there would be no point as I am getting noting in return

Seems dutch door policy, you can't have refund but we will sell the seat you have already paid for

thanks for the reply

Paralytic Jun 7, 2017 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Bill Bob (Post 28413368)
thanks

No I have not cancelled the ticket.. there would be no point as I am getting noting in return

Seems dutch door policy, you can't have refund but we will sell the seat you have already paid for

thanks for the reply

As said above, you should get government taxes back, less the cancellation/offline fees.

Doc Savage Jun 7, 2017 4:25 am

Someone else will be given the seat if it is needed. You could cut down on the chances that the seat will be given away by checking in for the seat and having your companion no show at the airport. That may inconvenience BA a bit if they think your companion is at the airport and try to have him paged, look for him, etc. In reality, when he doesn't board at T-15 min or so, he'll be assumed to be a no show and his seat made available to the GA for someone else. It'll depend on how full the flight is.

Safe Travels.

Bill Bob Jun 7, 2017 4:32 am

thanks for all the advice

the agent was unhelpful when i rang them and was very keen to get me to cancel the ticket i didn't do it but they made no mention of a refund of taxes with where £332 per ticket

thanks again

KARFA Jun 7, 2017 4:35 am

Originally Posted by layz (Post 28413363)

As for changing the name on the ticket, this might be possible but I think changes are expensive if the name change is to a different person (rather than correcting a typo).

I don't think BA allow names changes at all unless it is because of marriage.

Ldnn1 Jun 7, 2017 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 28413370)
Someone else will be given the seat if it is needed. You could cut down on the chances that the seat will be given away by checking in for the seat and having your companion no show at the airport. That may inconvenience BA a bit if they think your companion is at the airport and try to have him paged, look for him, etc.

If the flight is from T5 it won’t inconvenience BA at all – the pax will automatically be offloaded when they fail to go through conformance at T-35. Therefore in OP’s position, I would check in for the pax on this basis and hope the seat remains empty.

Deltus Jun 7, 2017 4:39 am

If you do decide not to cancel it, you can probably maximise the chances of it staying empty by checking in, downloading the boarding pass, entering security on their boarding pass, returning landside using the transfer shuttle, and re-entering security on your own boarding pass. All the systems will assume your companion is flying right up until the flight closes and nobody has materialised at the gate, by which time it will probably be too late to fill the seat.

But a refund of the taxes might be a more attractive option.

mikeyfly Jun 7, 2017 4:41 am

Hi Bill Bob perhaps ask someone to check how busy the flight is on the following thread - then this will give you an idea if the flight is full / near to full and so the chances of the seat remaining vacant or not....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...loads-264.html

caz312 Jun 7, 2017 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Bill Bob (Post 28413385)
taxes with where £332 per ticket

the biggest part of the "taxes and fees" will be the YQ - fuel surcharge (or whatever they call it these days) which is not refundable
You can check on ITAMatrix to see the full taxes breakdown

mikeyfly Jun 7, 2017 4:43 am

With the fee being withheld from the refund, you are looking at a tiny reimbursement on a Y flight

Tim1975 Jun 7, 2017 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 28413402)
If you do decide not to cancel it, you can probably maximise the chances of it staying empty by checking in, downloading the boarding pass, entering security on their boarding pass, returning landside using the transfer shuttle, and re-entering security on your own boarding pass. All the systems will assume your companion is flying right up until the flight closes and nobody has materialised at the gate, by which time it will probably be too late to fill the seat.

But a refund of the taxes might be a more attractive option.

No need to mess about with the shuttle. Simply scan the other person's boarding pass at the gate before security. Wait for the gate to open and then close again and then scan your boarding pass and enter.