Wiki Posts
Search

Why is the BAEC forum so chatty/active?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Why is the BAEC forum so chatty/active?

Not sure whether this is the right forum to post - I was looking for the most general level top-level one I could find (and I'm a few posts shy of 180/180 so OMNI is a no-no).

I was just curious about the BAEC forum. There are literally dozens of forums on FT, yet if you look at the top 25 trending posts at any given moment about half of them seem to be from just one forum - BAEC.

Maybe there's so many more interesting things happening to BA flyers than the rest of us but it seems that this one forum can reliably generate 10-15 of the top 25 slots in the trending forum, which is either impressive or weird (or both).

My own home from home is the LH forum and over there you can hear the crickets chirping by comparison. So what is BA's secret? Are the Brits who dominate the forum naturally gregarious, like a bunch of mates chatting in a pub? Maybe this is some dastardly clever plot by Alex Cruz to raise his airline's profile, though considering at least half of the posts consists of slagging him off that might not be paying off too well.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I was just curious about the BAEC forum. There are literally dozens of forums on FT, yet if you look at the top 25 trending posts at any given moment about half of them seem to be from just one forum - BAEC.
Joke explanation: Obviously our British friends are compensating. They have a lot to say after riding the tube silently back and forth. (For more details: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ndon-commuters)

Originally Posted by yurtripper
My own home from home is the LH forum and over there you can hear the crickets chirping by comparison. So what is BA's secret?
It's a forum in English. There's obviously going to be predominantly American and British users. While FTs are quite international, I would expect the US and the UK to be at the top of the list in terms of country of residence of FT members.

If you want more active websites on your local airline, visit the "native" forum. There's a German aviation forum (IIRC it's VFT) that's quite active on LH and AB.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Good point about natural EN bias but BAEC blows each of the US3 forums out of the water in terms of activity.

My German's sadly not up to much and technically the native forum would be something like FLY4FREE, but there's only so much you can read about LO's latest connection to Astana and the inability to get decent credit cards in Poland!
Old May 18, 2017, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the BA Forum.
Thanks,,
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 18, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Please continue to follow this thread in the BA Forum.
Thanks,,
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
This helps too
Old May 18, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
The other explanation is Flyer talk is a native forum for UK residents!?
Old May 18, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some previous explanations:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-activity.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...out-water.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-forum-ft.html
Old May 18, 2017, 10:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
To me there are a number of factors:

Not all threads are serious although have clear BA connections.

The people are generally friendly.

It is easy to make 'friends' through attendance at a do.

There is a wealth of knowledge and many threads are actively backed up via the wiki.

The dashboards and guides are comprehensive. Regularly updated and maintained.

There is a large team of moderators and ambassadors who are genuinely welcoming to new posters. Some forums you get your head bitten off as a new poster asking a question.

I'm sure there are many other reasons.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:52 pm

I believe it is moderation policy.

In the US3 forums there are many more 'super threads'. ask a question about the best seats in business and you will (generally) get pointed to that thread (normally the first post) and your question will vanish onto page 500.

Here it is more likely the question will be answered - sometimes with a pointer but less frequently IMHO - and as long as the question has a slightly different angle it probably won't be merged.

More threads - more discussion - more small things to read (easier on the phone) - it all promotes more repeat visits.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think the clue's in the first word of forum name: "British".

There's nothing we Brits love more than:
  • Having a moan
  • Waxing nostalgic about how great things were 10, 20, 30 years ago...
  • Decrying petty snobbery
  • Muttering under our breath about the transgressions of others
  • Quietly showing off while pretending not to

Visiting this forum is like spending time with Karl Pilkington
Old May 19, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fitch
I think the clue's in the first word of forum name: "British".

There's nothing we Brits love more than:
  • Having a moan
  • Waxing nostalgic about how great things were 10, 20, 30 years ago...
  • Decrying petty snobbery
  • Muttering under our breath about the transgressions of others
  • Quietly showing off while pretending not to

Visiting this forum is like spending time with Karl Pilkington
^^^ Brilliant - this has really made me chuckle after a long week.

There is another thing to add to the list - humour and quick wit. I think quite of few of us have laughed out loud when reading threads on the BA Forum.

T
Old May 19, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toothy
^^^ Brilliant - this has really made me chuckle after a long week.

There is another thing to add to the list - humour and quick wit. I think quite of few of us have laughed out loud when reading threads on the BA Forum.

T
Well, I didn't want to boast, but thank you
Old May 19, 2017, 2:56 am

I fly BA for less than 10% of my flights but 100% of my posts are on BAEC...It is a nice crowd and their knowledge of Oneworld and airports goes far beyond British Airways.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by madfish

The people are generally friendly.
Though much less friendly than before sometimes.

It is easy to make 'friends' through attendance at a do.

There is a wealth of knowledge and many threads are actively backed up via the wiki.

The dashboards and guides are comprehensive. Regularly updated and maintained.

There is a large team of moderators and ambassadors who are genuinely welcoming to new posters. Some forums you get your head bitten off as a new poster asking a question.

I'm sure there are many other reasons.
I agree with most of this. I have been around longer than most and I have seen a lot of changes, but one thing never changes, whatever question you ask will get an answer and a helpful one at that. We had no moderators back then and now we have loads.

I do not know if the BMI Forum was like this one, nor indeed if the Virgin one still is - but we have had some absolutely brilliant and witty posts on here. Compared with another Forum that I visit there is a lightness and a lack of seriousness that is not found elsewhere. This is more a garden than a jungle. I think that the term "Battlefield Upgrade" says it all.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
We are all a bunch of grumpy gits with a lot to complain about, the forum gives us an outlet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.