Wiki Posts
Search

Well thanks BA - Receipt to non-lead pax

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Person A breached BA Executive Clubs's terms and conditions by using it

This booking related to passenger B and passenger B received details about the booking. Providing information about a booking containing a passenger to that passenger is not a breach of the act from what I understand of it

The only breach of any rules that I can see is that of passenger A breaking rule 5.2
The Law > BAEC Ts & Cs
Old May 15, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by kb9522
Warranted since Person A used the personal details of Person B. Person B did not explicitly authorize this.
You may think it's warranted but it isn't legal. BA have no right to share any financial (or other personal) details of B with A in these circumstances. OP has every right not to expect this and is entirely justified in complaining. OP is also entitled to have the blinkin' receipt emailed to her!
Old May 15, 2017, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by memesweeper
You may think it's warranted but it isn't legal. BA have no right to share any financial (or other personal) details of B with A in these circumstances. OP has every right not to expect this and is entirely justified in complaining. OP is also entitled to have the blinkin' receipt emailed to her!
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
The Law > BAEC Ts & Cs

The receipt was sent to a contact email address that the person put in the booking
Old May 15, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
The receipt was sent to a contact email address that the person put in the booking
The OP didn't even *know* the email address used.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by memesweeper
The OP didn't even *know* the email address used.
The OP put the email address in by adding the membership number
Old May 15, 2017, 4:19 pm

The OP put the email address in by adding the membership number
No, the OP put the BAEC number in. BA then pulled in a load of data (which the OP has no right to see) including an email address and mailed a pile of stuff off to the other passenger (including things the other passenger has no right to see).

The law is pretty clear this isn't allowed however awkward implementation of this in the software is going to be.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
I don't see how this makes it OK. There are any number of reasons you might make a booking on other people's behalf, and add their frequent flyer number, but obviously not want them to be sent the payment details. If I make a booking for friends I have to accept they could all recieve this and I have no power to stop it?

If they were just sent reservation details fair enough, but not payment information, that is personal and should only be sent to the person who made the payment.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by nallison
I don't see how this makes it OK. There are any number of reasons you might make a booking on other people's behalf, and add their frequent flyer number, but obviously not want them to be sent the payment details. If I make a booking for friends I have to accept they could all recieve this and I have no power to stop it?

If they were just sent reservation details fair enough, but not payment information, that is personal and should only be sent to the person who made the payment.
There are no times when you would add their frequent flyer number since there is no authority to do so. Only the member is authorised to use it

Make booking
Get receipt
Give member the flight details so that the member can add their details

Dont add the contact information until after paying and getting the receipt
Old May 15, 2017, 4:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Folks,

Can we play by the rules please. The OP has raised an interesting issue and in the company of fellow BAEC members it is worthy of our attention.
Rule 12.3
Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
Lets extend a little more respect to windowontheAside please.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 15, 2017, 4:49 pm

Person A, with unauthorised use of person B's personal account details was the one that chose to add Person B's contact information to the booking

The airline did not go off and hunt for person B's contact details. person A divulged them
I can think of something. Request a Special Meal for Person B and you get an e-mail stating "A Change was made and you must tick the box when making the change that you are authorized to act on the behalf of Person B'. Problem here is Person B does not want a special meal so they ring up BA or go online and cancel or change the request.

Or Person A seats Person B in the middle seat in the rear while Person A uses Person B's miles to upgrade again without consulting with Person B.

Lets just say Person A is in a divorce settlement and uses Person B's account without their authorization and gets an e-mail for the use of miles that she/he did not authorize. There could be Fraud and therefore when you call BA you have to be authorized to act on behalf of person B.

Just a theory. What says you?
Old May 15, 2017, 4:55 pm

I do not see the relevance to the examples.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Grog
+1

When you used another person's FF number without their permission, you crossed that line. You may feel that you already had Mr. W's tacit approval to use it, but so does BA have his more-than-tacit approval to contact him when it's used.
When I book using my airline miles I always get an e-mail saying "Miles were redeemed to book XYZ itinerary and if you did not authorize this request to contact us". I am very happy that they do this. I have the authorization of my Father to use his miles to book his trip or use it for my Mother or myself but a slick person could say "Let's use our rich Father's miles and book us two First Class Tickets to Rome". Father gets an e-mail and calls up the airline to find out that their Kids are tryig to run away from home and cancels the booking as they were not given authority to use his miles.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:57 pm

I do not see the relevance to the examples.
Dave lets say your miles were used without your authorization wouldn't you be happy to learn this before its too late?
Old May 15, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Dave lets say your miles were used without your authorization wouldn't you be happy to learn this before its too late?
absolutely
Old May 15, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
There are no times when you would add their frequent flyer number since there is no authority to do so. Only the member is authorised to use it
Except BA has such things as Household accounts and Friends & Family lists, where you can choose names from a list and end up adding their numbers (as happened to the OP). HHAs/F&Fs are set up with permission of those involved; one member gives another member their account number with the understanding that it is going to be used to make a booking at some point...

Despite 5.2, BA actually enables members to delegate their number quoting authority to other members for ease of use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.