Wiki Posts
Search

Inoperable Toilets on plane departing LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We check the toilets regularly and if the flap was open due to the bin being full (unlikely) we would push the waste down and check the flap closes automatically.
Don't doubt you personally CiHY but I have had a policy of bringing in a bottle both to brush teeth and push down the bin contents. At the end of 13 hour flights the WCs are usually not in a great condition.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
UPDATE FROM BA

So I got a call (!!) from BA regarding my complaint.

The lady said that they were indeed aware of the situation and that scores of people complained about it, which made them reach out to the department in question and check the file on what the CSD of the flight had described the situation to be like.

She pointed out that I was wrong about the number of toilets inoperable on the flight. It was not 2 toilets. It was actually FOUR toilets.

She said she agreed with me that it was dispicable to say the least, but the decision to fly the aircraft anyway was signed by someone very high up on BA and so they did.

They agreed I was more than right to complain, gave me the traditional 10,000 Avios recovery gesture and said that they had picked up my complaint to be sent to Management as it was the most itemized report of what went on during the flight - which means I might get contacted by BA again (righhhht, I am so expecting that).

BA apologists will say it is normal to operate a flight with half the lavs not working, right? ;-)
Old May 30, 2017, 11:56 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:21 am
Old May 30, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GRUflyer
UPDATE FROM BA

So I got a call (!!) from BA regarding my complaint.
did you get this call before the weekend meltdown?
Old May 30, 2017, 3:14 pm

I think this aircraft was flying around for a week or so with this problem and the planners were trying their best to utilise it on routes with light loads as much as possible. If it's the aeroplane I think it is, there was a significant leak in the forward hold which would have required a stripdown to fix so the toilets' water supply was isolated. (This happens sometimes and has led on many occasions to the poor loading staff being falsely accused of piddling - or worse - in the hold!)

Whilst it may seem a long time on the ground, you have to remember 3 hours is required to turnaround the aeroplane (unload/load, clean, de-cater/cater, fuel) without carrying out any additional work. The engineers will have given an estimate of the time required to fix and the decision made to leave it until the next major overhaul (someone will have looked at the schedule and decided whether that's reasonable or not).

Sorry it was a horrible experience and a full flight - but I think it would have been worse to have cancelled it.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seaskybound
did you get this call before the weekend meltdown?
Got it Friday afternoon!
Old May 30, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bealine
I think this aircraft was flying around for a week or so with this problem and the planners were trying their best to utilise it on routes with light loads as much as possible. If it's the aeroplane I think it is, there was a significant leak in the forward hold which would have required a stripdown to fix so the toilets' water supply was isolated. (This happens sometimes and has led on many occasions to the poor loading staff being falsely accused of piddling - or worse - in the hold!)

Whilst it may seem a long time on the ground, you have to remember 3 hours is required to turnaround the aeroplane (unload/load, clean, de-cater/cater, fuel) without carrying out any additional work. The engineers will have given an estimate of the time required to fix and the decision made to leave it until the next major overhaul (someone will have looked at the schedule and decided whether that's reasonable or not).

Sorry it was a horrible experience and a full flight - but I think it would have been worse to have cancelled it.
I wonder if BA has got ZERO WB aircraft to spare any given day at LHR.

Even the ones that might have had issues, I think it is hard to picture one aircraft which would be more disruptive to passangers.

4 non-working toilets on a 12 hours flight.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by GRUflyer
I wonder if BA has got ZERO WB aircraft to spare any given day at LHR.

Even the ones that might have had issues, I think it is hard to picture one aircraft which would be more disruptive to passangers.

4 non-working toilets on a 12 hours flight.
It is very rare that we have spare aircraft, I assure you. When one goes tech, another is found by "stealing one from another service" and then cascading onwards. FT'ers may have heard the reason "waiting for first available aircraft" or "Late Inbound Aircraft" given as the reason for a delay when we're playing catch up. When the engineers announce the tech aircraft is fixed, then happy days - suddenly we have a spare!
Old May 31, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't say that there is a big issue and, if it was annoying me, I would have said something at the time...
Old May 31, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bealine
It is very rare that we have spare aircraft, I assure you. When one goes tech, another is found by "stealing one from another service" and then cascading onwards. FT'ers may have heard the reason "waiting for first available aircraft" or "Late Inbound Aircraft" given as the reason for a delay when we're playing catch up. When the engineers announce the tech aircraft is fixed, then happy days - suddenly we have a spare!
Thanks for the explanation ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.