Is a T5 departure just for CCR worth it?

Reply

Old May 10, 17, 9:01 am
  #31  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,171
Originally Posted by MickV View Post
In January I decided that I would never do the T5-T3-T5 connection again after it went a long way to ruining an F trip. I've stuck it out for 4ish months and have relented and doing the connection again this Saturday. I've decided to try it again over connecting in the US.
I've stuck it out for a couple or so years, my only sojourn to T3 was an inbound MIA. I'm still to be convinced to use T3, it just frustrates me.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 9:02 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: TLV (Nutbug!)
Programs: BA*G, A3*G
Posts: 788
Surprised nobody has mentioned this but as a BA Gold, the benefit of flying through LAX with a reasonable connection time to enjoy it, is that you get to use the superb Qantas F lounge, which definitely beats the CCR for food. It has a kitchen and menu overseen by the guys from Australia's Rockpool restaurants. Also the airside connector from TBIT (where you land and the lounge is) to T4 is only a 10 minute walk, quite easy.

So if you add CCR, A380 and QFlounge, that might well be tempting.
frb98mf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 9:07 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Somewhere around Europe...
Programs: BA Gold; SPG Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Spire; RR Concierge
Posts: 453
Originally Posted by frb98mf View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned this but as a BA Gold, the benefit of flying through LAX with a reasonable connection time to enjoy it, is that you get to use the superb Qantas F lounge, which definitely beats the CCR for food. It has a kitchen and menu overseen by the guys from Australia's Rockpool restaurants. Also the airside connector from TBIT (where you land and the lounge is) to T4 is only a 10 minute walk, quite easy.

So if you add CCR, A380 and QFlounge, that might well be tempting.
Though this does assume that the Qantas lounge will let you in when connecting to an AA domestic service. There have been multiple reports whereby they have denied this, despite the OW policies to the contrary.

Not saying this should be discounted only that access shouldn't be assumed.
dakaix is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 9:10 am
  #34  
TPJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Posts: 6,264
Originally Posted by wheatbeer View Post
get the A380 to SFO
No oneWorld carrier flying on the SFO-LAS route.

If you take WN at least you will get a free piece of baggage. If you take UA or B6 or VX you will have to pay for baggage...

SFO is congested and famous for delays - make sure you have enough time to connect in SFO (I assume you will fly on 2 separate tickets).
TPJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 9:19 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: living near Malaga
Programs: BA Gold & honoured with a Mucci des Zones de Tranquilité . Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Posts: 731
We just did a couple of week in California followed by a drive into Las Vegas and home from there four nights later.. Did F out into LAX on the 380 and club upstairs on the 747 home. Had an amazing trip but managed to skip the CCR on the way out !!
sunshinebob is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 9:54 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 900
On a closely-related topic if the OP is planning to route via SFO.

Is the new CX Lounge in SFO comparable to that in T3? Is it accessible available to people flying ex-SFO on BA flight? - is it available to people connecting to AA domestic flights?

I've never been a fan of the F "Room" in SFO and actually choose to sit in the main lounge. WHile it does the job it's certainly not the greatest BA lounge i the system, feeling more 'domestic' than a premium international lounge to me.
catharsis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 10:03 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 1,516
Aim for the A380 for sure. The LAS route First won't feel as "First" due to dated plane.

Wouldn't worry about CCR too much. If you depart T3 then CX lounge is great. If you depart T5 then you get CCR.

Here's some F A380 routes - https://www.iflya380.com/a380-airlin...tml?origin=LBA - so you could get to LAS via Vancouver (you'll need an ETA doc to pass through airport), San Fran or LA (if you can get it - which I doubt, as its First is very popular).
mmxbreaks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 10:58 am
  #38  
eae
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GfL
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
On a closely-related topic if the OP is planning to route via SFO.

Is the new CX Lounge in SFO comparable to that in T3? Is it accessible available to people flying ex-SFO on BA flight? - is it available to people connecting to AA domestic flights?
No, not even in the same league. I'd argue the CX SFO lounge is the worst oneworld lounge at SFO. It is loud, crowded, and has worse F&B options than even the Admirals Club. They have the over rated noodle bar with freeze dried ramen but that's it.

Regardless it is not available for domestic AA departures as AA departs out of T2 which does not have an air-side connection to the international terminal.

You'll have access to the Admirals Club in T2 however.

As for oneworld lounges in the international terminal the BA one is by far my favorite. It's a bit on the small side but the staff is fantastic and the beverage options are great. No food to speak of.

The JAL one is dark and dated but tends to be less crowded and quieter than the CX one.
eae is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 11:08 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 2,860
Originally Posted by jdtravels View Post
Slightly off topic, as I won't be flying F any time soon , in J would you prefer an old 747 in seats 62A/K, or on the A380? Is the old entertainment system really that bad? Just that I can find no real recommended window seats on the A380!
I greatly enjoyed flying on the 747 upper deck (LHR-PHX so I think also the same older plane as the LAS route). My experience was that the 747 upstairs, even though I wasn't in 62A/K, was fantastic. Being 4-across instead of 8 made it significantly quieter and tranquil. And we had two attendants for 20 of us so service was always quick! And right at the bottom of the stairs was the little 'between meals snacks' galley. It did get very warm up there though, so bring a pair of light pajamas (shorts & light T-shirt is my recommendation).
Gig103 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 11:25 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: BA Exec Club
Posts: 229
Does anyone know what type of 747 is on the IAD Route- I have 64k reserved for a few weeks time and was curious as to its quality. I have relatives who are in WTP too on same flight - how is that?
jimlad48 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 11:42 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,137
Originally Posted by jimlad48 View Post
Does anyone know what type of 747 is on the IAD Route- I have 64k reserved for a few weeks time and was curious as to its quality. I have relatives who are in WTP too on same flight - how is that?
64K is a Fantastic UD seat whichever 747 you get. Most normal people would be over the moon with the upper deck and only 20 people; but this is FT and they are a tough bunch to please 😁😉
Padmeister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 12:20 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
No oneWorld carrier flying on the SFO-LAS route.

If you take WN at least you will get a free piece of baggage. If you take UA or B6 or VX you will have to pay for baggage...

SFO is congested and famous for delays - make sure you have enough time to connect in SFO (I assume you will fly on 2 separate tickets).
I often do the separate ticket thing from SFO/LAX. I would recommend looking into an F fare on the SFO-LAS routing (especially if you're flying over in F or J). You can generally get it for about $150 each way. And VX F is pretty good for domestic US. Plus with the baggage allowance it brings the cost close to Economy.

I usually book 2-2.5 hours time between connections and a few times if that was too much time I've been able to change to an earlier flight without fee (or with minimal fee).
XUPhilly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 12:34 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 1,203
Originally Posted by jimlad48 View Post
Does anyone know what type of 747 is on the IAD Route- I have 64k reserved for a few weeks time and was curious as to its quality. I have relatives who are in WTP too on same flight - how is that?
Just check your MMB section on BA.com. In the 'select your seats' section, if the aircraft has a CW row 21 & 22 on the lower deck, it is a refreshed Super-Hi J aircraft and this has the latest AVOD for your entertainment.

Pilot37
Pilot37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 1:15 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: TLV (Nutbug!)
Programs: BA*G, A3*G
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by dakaix View Post
Though this does assume that the Qantas lounge will let you in when connecting to an AA domestic service. There have been multiple reports whereby they have denied this, despite the OW policies to the contrary.

Not saying this should be discounted only that access shouldn't be assumed.
Not sure if it's the pretty face, British accent or what, but I've never had any trouble getting in, and I've even done it on a purely short domestic hop on AA, no inbound connecting flight.
frb98mf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 17, 1:16 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 25,461
I think the issues with the QF lounge were early just after it opened. I don't think it seems to be a problem now.
KARFA is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread