FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is a T5 departure just for CCR worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1841737-t5-departure-just-ccr-worth.html)

wheatbeer May 10, 2017 4:39 am

Is a T5 departure just for CCR worth it?

Looking at redeeming a BA Amex 2-4-1 in F to the US. We want to go to LAS but as this departs from LHR T3 we wouldn't get to use the Concorde Room. We are wondering if it is worth flying to SFO instead and then take a domestic flight to LAS.

Do you think it is worth it just to use the CCR rather than CX Flounge? We are BAEC Gold so will probably get to visit the CX F lounge anyway at some point, but we've never been in the CCR.

Just to throw something else into the equation - if we were lucky enough to get the A380 to SFO would this clinch it over a direct 747 to LAS?

Any advice much appreciated!

rossmacd May 10, 2017 4:42 am

Honestly, I think it would be nuts to take a connection in the US in order to visit the CCR. The CX F lounge, in my opinion, is better than the CCR hands down :D

wheatbeer May 10, 2017 4:46 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 28292035)
Honestly, I think it would be nuts to take a connection in the US in order to visit the CCR. The CX F lounge, in my opinion, is better than the CCR hands down :D

Thanks for the quick, honest reply :D. Would you take a connection to fly on the A380 instead of 747?

rossmacd May 10, 2017 4:50 am

Originally Posted by wheatbeer (Post 28292042)
Thanks for the quick, honest reply :D. Would you take a connection to fly on the A380 instead of 747?

No worries :)

If using a 2-4-1, then no I would take the most direct route to my destination, in your case this would be direct to LAS.

If I was on a cash booking, I would be more tempted to book a 'TP and aircraft efficient' route, so I may do this. However, if I was on a cash booking, I certainly would not be on a BA aircraft, for this journey I would be using AA, in J.

mec72 May 10, 2017 4:51 am

Totally agree. I also wouldn't go out of my way just to fly the A380.

mikeyfly May 10, 2017 4:57 am

It depends really... which LAS flight and I assume in F? If you don't mind connecting, the earlier SFO flight will arrive hours before the LAS direct, and probably even your internal domestic before the later BA275..

Pilot37 May 10, 2017 5:02 am

No offence to the other responders above, but I'd strongly suggest you try either the SFO, LAX or SJC options in F using your 2-4-1 voucher before taking the direct LAS flight.

LAS sees the oldest B744's on that route with poor inflight entertainment. The A380 is a huge step up (but getting 2 reward F seats to the West Coast in it will be tough) and the B789 in F is suppose to be excellent as well. (The CCR visit is just a bonus on these routes)

If you are going to splash that much avios and £'s on an F reward flight, at least pick aircraft that are worth it. Go with LAX, SFO or SJC and only as a last resort at the direct LAS flight.

Pilot37

Fitch May 10, 2017 5:11 am

I've been to the CCR quite a few times now and tbh it really doesn't do that much for me. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to include it in a trip...

The place is worth a visit, if only for bragging rights, but not worth (imo at least) spending lots of additional time and money on...

I like the dining area and the cabanas, but even if the choice was identical flights from T3 or T5, I would probably choose T3 and go to the CX F lounge, which I absolutely love (and not forgetting to pop into the AA International F lounge to grab some jelly beans and choccies !!).

As for aircraft, F on the A380 is highly spoken of here, but of course 1A in the nose of the 747 offers a unique experience :)

In summary: CX F > CCR, A380 = 747 (maybe)

KenJohn May 10, 2017 5:36 am

The food in CX F lounge is way better than the CCR. Restaurant staff are way more attentive.

One catch, for the noodle bar which most OW Emerald passengers want, you need to go into the CX J lounge. You can return to the F section once you have eaten. Toilets are shared between both F and J sections.

dylanks May 10, 2017 5:46 am

For the CCR alone, no, I would enjoy the CX F lounge, and pre-book a visit to the Elemis spa if you want. On the plus side, the T3 fast track is reliably fast in the late morning-early afternoon (which is when I typically use it for flights to PHX).

For the onboard experience, as others have said, the A380 and 789 are much nicer than the 747 in F. However, adding a connection will increase your flight time by at least 3 hours and cost more Avios.

I guess it would overall depend on how often the OP gets to fly in F, which planes they've flown F before, and the duration of the journey. If you're going to LAS for a long weekend, I wouldn't waste the time connecting, but if it's a 2 week holiday, then there's no rush to get there as quickly as possible.

Tobias-UK May 10, 2017 6:01 am

Originally Posted by wheatbeer (Post 28292042)

Not only would I, I do! LAS is one of my most regular trips and I always take the A380 via LAX if heading directly to/from Vegas - this is a good win or me, I avoid T5-T3 connections, I avoid T3, I avoid the B747, I get to fly on the A380 and I can use the CCR.

I am not a fan of T3, and whilst the CX Lounge is very nice, I wouldn't base a trip to T3 around it! It is now a few years since I took the BA275 to Vegas.I hate the T5-T3 transfer.

crazyanglaisy May 10, 2017 6:06 am

As others have suggested, this is really only a question you can answer, and entirely comes down to your attitude towards flying. I fly all the time, and wouldn't dream of going out of my way to fly on the A380 or to the visit the CCR, even on a non-work trip. However, if you love flying and this is a special, infrequent opportunity to try out First Class, then I think changing your plans would make sense. Indeed, I'd capitalise on the opportunity to spend 2 or 3 days in San Francisco as well, a city I adore (and certainly compared to Las Vegas!)

As an aside, whilst I thought that the CX lounge in T3 was better than the CCR when I first tried it, I've now revised my opinion. In particular, if you're a lover of good wine and food, I think the CCR wins out clearly, mainly due to the improvements that I believe have been made to the CCR dining options and food quality in recent months.

dewidaniels May 10, 2017 6:07 am

In 2015, I wanted to go to Arizona on holiday, but there was no Avios availability to Phoenix anywhere near the dates I wanted. I ended up flying from LHR to LAX, drove to Arizona, then returned from LAX via JFK. I ended up experiencing the A380, AA Transcon and the upper deck of the 747 all in the same holiday. I enjoyed it very much.

MickV May 10, 2017 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 28292218)
Not only would I, I do! LAS is one of my most regular trips and I always take the A380 via LAX if heading directly to/from Vegas - this is a good win or me, I avoid T5-T3 connections, I avoid T3, I avoid the B747, I get to fly on the A380 and I can use the CCR.

I am not a fan of T3, and whilst the CX Lounge is very nice, I wouldn't base a trip to T3 around it! It is now a few years since I took the BA275 to Vegas.I hate the T5-T3 transfer.

In January I decided that I would never do the T5-T3-T5 connection again after it went a long way to ruining an F trip. I've stuck it out for 4ish months and have relented and doing the connection again this Saturday. I've decided to try it again over connecting in the US.

jdtravels May 10, 2017 6:27 am

Slightly off topic, as I won't be flying F any time soon :(, in J would you prefer an old 747 in seats 62A/K, or on the A380? Is the old entertainment system really that bad? Just that I can find no real recommended window seats on the A380!