Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC HHA - Is 'Head of the Household' a sexist term?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC HHA - Is 'Head of the Household' a sexist term?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 3:08 am

Good point c-w-s.

I'm a bit confused by her assertion that HoH means male. I figure the term was coined generally to be more inclusive than previous terms like "man of the house" or similar. The fact that the majority of households may have been led by men doesn't make it a de facto requirement for the role. If someone chooses to interpret it that way, I'd see that as saying something about their own bias.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I am assuming that BA needs to have a nominated person for admin purposes?
I am assuming it is not like my personal laptop where everyone can be an admin.
c-w-s makes a very valid point - households come in all shapes and sizes, the Professor runs the risk of being sexist herself.
IMO it is an outdated concept that the HOH is a male in a m/f household, I even thought that 40+ years ago when the LEB (London Electricity Board) told me I needed my husbands signature - which they duly got - I signed my husbands name in front of them !
In this more enlightened age you would hope we could all be more grown up about it.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Well shiver me timbers.................turns out I am the Head of the account (we didn't have a clue which one of us was). Mr RR does all the bookings and changes!

BA can call me whatever they like as long as they get me safely from A to B. It's a pity women like this have nothing more to worry about.
And now that I know I'm the head I feel very empowered. I can't stop and talk though as Mr RR wants me to bake him cake and put the kettle on. ;-)
Old May 7, 2017, 4:31 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The real shame here is that this communist woman basically gets paid by the state to pull this crap. Nonsense complaint, nonsense story. BA did nothing wrong.
She isn't paid by the state. She is paid by the university. And being a feminist does NOT make you a communist.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Speaking as a female the only offensive thing about any of this is her ridiculous attitude. It is things like this that give people reason to ridicule feminism.

When I had a household account with hubby, I was the Head of it. There is no gender reference to it whatsoever. Doesn't matter who you have in it, there needs to be someone who is the lead. It's the same with other similar schemes. Who you choose to be head/lead is your own problem!
Old May 7, 2017, 8:36 am
Suspended

Speaking as a male BA Head of Household, the whole thing is anachronistic. Why my wife shouldn't be able to change our address or do other tasks without running to me is unexplainable. I am not her boss nor her personal secretary. The sma e holds true if it were reversed.

Ladies and gentlemen, do not be cowed into false reasonableness over charges of radical and ridiculous feminism. This is about fairness and the modern way of life with which the household account has not caught up.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by IcHot
Speaking as a male BA Head of Household, the whole thing is anachronistic. Why my wife shouldn't be able to change our address or do other tasks without running to me is unexplainable. I am not her boss nor her personal secretary. The sma e holds true if it were reversed.

Ladies and gentlemen, do not be cowed into false reasonableness over charges of radical and ridiculous feminism. This is about fairness and the modern way of life with which the household account has not caught up.
BA simply requires one member of the household account be designated as the primary member to act as administrator and be solely responsible for updating the household address and for adding or removing members and will be the primary contact for the administration of the Household Account.

I see nothing wrong with that at all, the primary member is ultimately responsible for all the administration of the account. Nothing sexist (implied or otherwise), and certainly nothing to get one's knickers in a twist
Old May 7, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
BA simply requires one member of the household account be designated as the primary member to act as administrator and be solely responsible for updating the household address and for adding or removing members and will be the primary contact for the administration of the Household Account.

I see nothing wrong with that at all, the primary member is ultimately responsible for all the administration of the account. Nothing sexist (implied or otherwise), and certainly nothing to get one's knickers in a twist
+1
Old May 7, 2017, 9:03 am
Suspended

I see nothing wrong with that at all, the primary member is ultimately responsible for all the administration of the account. Nothing sexist, nothing to get one's knickers in a twist
Modern families tend to share a lot of responsibilities. There's no reason there can't be a co-head and equal rights for adults in the account.

I understand that many people are fixated on whether the term is sexist. I would think that the whole setup is probably a leftover from a more sexist era.

The program should be set up to operate for today's world. I'm sorry if you think that's unreasonable or upsetting. Seems quite reasonable to me that either my wife or myself could make appropriate changes.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:10 am

Modern families tend to share a lot of responsibilities. There's no reason there can't be a co-head and equal rights for adults in the account.

I understand that many people are fixated on whether the term is sexist. I would think that the whole setup is probably a leftover from a more sexist era.

The program should be set up to operate for today's world. I'm sorry if you think that's unreasonable or upsetting. Seems quite reasonable to me that either my wife or myself could make appropriate changes.
We are talking about a single point of contact for a group, it's not a unique concept and it certainly isn't one that is exclusive to the BA Household Account. By having a single person responsible for adding and removing members, or changing address it makes the administration of the account easy and it avoids BA having to act as mediator if someone doesn't like the changes.

We are only 'fixated' on the sexism epithet becuase that's what BA has been accused of and what topic is about!

BA has provided a fantastic benefit, it has called it a Household Account. The primary member of that account is called the Head of Household Account - what is wrong or sexist or offensive about that?
Old May 7, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

We are talking about a single point of contact for a group, it's not a unique concept and it certainly isn't one that is exclusive to the BA Household Account. By having a single person responsible for adding and removing members, or changing address it makes the administration of the account easy and it avoids BA having to act as mediator if someone doesn't like the changes.

We are only 'fixated' on the sexism epithet becuase that's what BA has been accused of and what topic is about!
Frankly, BA could easily insert into the agreement that BA does not accept any responsibility for changes made by equal partners in the account, could they not? Seems the biggest impediment is laziness in not keeping up with the times.

Whether the term is sexist is one part of the topic, but previous posters have already questioned other aspects of the household account and this makes what I posted a relevant part of the thread.

I do understand the landmine that any criticism of BA in here tends to be and figure that it doubles if there are any hot button issues mixed in like sexism.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

BA has provided a fantastic benefit, it has called it a Household Account. The primary member of that account is called the Head of Household Account - what is wrong or sexist or offensive about that?
Isn't the issue that BA has used the term "Head of Household" rather than "Head of Household Account"? The addition of that word would probably have meant the complaint to BA never happened in the first place (whether that complaint is justified, or an over-sensitive reaction, of course depends on your point of view).
Old May 7, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Isn't the issue that BA has used the term "Head of Household" rather than "Head of Household Account"? The addition of that word would probably have meant the complaint to BA never happened in the first place (whether that complaint is justified, or an over-sensitive reaction, of course depends on your point of view).
Yup, but to suggest BA's use of the word in its context amounts to sexism is absolute nonsense in my book. It appears to me that some people just look for things to argue about or be offended by when clearly there was no offence intended or implied.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Speaking as a male BA Head of Household, the whole thing is anachronistic. Why my wife shouldn't be able to change our address or do other tasks without running to me is unexplainable. I am not her boss nor her personal secretary.
This is about fairness and the modern way of life with which the household account has not caught up.
+1

you should not need a sole account admin and...

... if you do it should be called 'account admin' not bleedin 'head of the household' like some Victorian census form.

Come to think of it sharing money with my partner through a joint account is easier than sharing Avios!
Old May 7, 2017, 10:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
She isn't paid by the state. She is paid by the university. And being a feminist does NOT make you a communist.
There is a certain irony in posters using outdated, incorrect, sexist and anachronistic terminology in a thread about outdated, incorrect, sexist and anachronistic terminology, isn't there ..... ?

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Yes, well, life is too short.
Ditto life is too short to post about stuff that life is too short for ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.