Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC HHA - Is 'Head of the Household' a sexist term?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

From today's Times (subscription or registration required):

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...torm-f0xddw3vx
Old May 6, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Absolute nonsense. I do feel a bit sorry for BA. It really does feel like any slither of an opportunity to have a pop at BA is seized upon by the media recently
Old May 6, 2017, 4:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In line with FT policy in this area, I'll just add a summary:

Originally Posted by The Times
When Ruth Blakeley, a senior university academic, logged on to her British Airways account to try to change some details before a flight, she received an automatic error message. She was not authorised to make such changes, the message said. Instead, these would have to be done by her husband as “head of the household”.

Professor Blakeley, 39, of the international relations department at the University of Kent, hit the roof. She accused the airline of perpetuating “gender stereotypes” and of using outdated language more appropriate to her grandfather’s generation.

British Airways stood firm, however, insisting that the phrase “bears no relation to gender” and saying that Professor Blakeley could herself have been designated as “head of the household” — provided that her husband agreed.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
My wife is head of household - can't recal any issues
Old May 6, 2017, 4:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Mmmm? I saw this yesterday, here a link to the full story that appeared in The Telegraph yesterday:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...gners-british/
Old May 6, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by The Times
...[She could have] been designated as “head of the household” —provided that her husband agreed.
They should've chosen better words before responding... insult to injury and all
Old May 6, 2017, 5:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
"Household Reference Person". Lovely!
Old May 6, 2017, 5:04 am

At first glance, seems like a fuss over nothing, but I can see how the phrasing used for the HHA feature has perhaps led to the misunderstanding:

1) The phrase "head of the household" has historically referred to the husband, and IMO is outdated.

2) BA's family Avios pooling/booking feature is (understandably) called a Household account.

3) The main user in the HHA is (apparently) referred to as the "head of the household [account]"

4) This happens to have been set up by a husband in this case, whose wife logs on to make some changes and finds that she can't unless the "head of the household" authorises it. Perhaps understandably, said individual (an expert on state violence and feminism) is rather peeved.

So ultimately perhaps some wording tweaks and a 'mea culpa' would be sufficient?

However, this points to a bigger issue/question: the newspapers do seem to have it in for BA at the moment (in some cases, with valid reason). But the atmosphere is such that if the actual issue is relatively minor, the presumption in the press seems to be that BA is acting with malicious intent. Seems like BA's PR need to be more proactive generally...
Old May 6, 2017, 5:09 am

LOl.
Me as a she �� am head of our household. Hubby is quite happy to let me do all the researching and booking for our holidays. Of course I have to thank flyertalk for all the good tips.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:28 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Its a simple fix, And Females can be head of household, Granted the term is old, but not a news worthy story.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:30 am

Probably the same person who says we shouldn't use the term "boys and girls" at schools anymore..
Old May 6, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Of all the problems in the world today, I wouldn't have thought this was very high on the list.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
hold

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
LOl.
Me as a she �� am head of our household. Hubby is quite happy to let me do all the researching and booking for our holidays. Of course I have to thank flyertalk for all the good tips.
1. My wife is indubitably in charge of the household.
2. I am the 'lead person' in the BAEC HHA.
3. I do all the flight research and bookings.
4. My wife does all the hotel research, and supervises me when I do the bookings.

We make a good Team, and really don't give a **** about this gender nonsense
Old May 6, 2017, 6:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In line with FT policy in this area, I'll just add a summary:
As we seem to be getting an increasing number of threads created like this, it's worth a reminder that FT requires an OP to add a meaningful summary :

Originally Posted by FT Rules
FlyerTalk is here for the purpose of sharing meaningful information. Don't simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Nonsense story. Another example of people taking personal offence when there is no rational reason for doing so.

"I don't want to go over the top about it, there are much worse things happening to women all over the world..." But you have now gone to the media. Ok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.