Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BCN passport control delays

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Landed yesterday at BCN.

I've never seen an immigration queue so long. It was so long walking down the empty corridor under the EU banner felt like we must have made a mistake. Luckily we hadn't and the queu for the automatic gates was only four or five deep. Took a wee while as we had the usual set of people unable to follow simple instruction.

One chap said "these things never work" I was tempted to point out that that might be because he doesn't remove his glasses.
You need to bear in mind that for some people removing their glasses means they can't actually see the display screen well enough to actually be able to see the instruction and/or to align their face properly. I always remember, for example, that I should have put my contact lenses in when stood in the queue for the gates. The gates are supposed to be able to cope with glasses.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Yes, though it seemed to be closed off when I was last there a few weeks ago [ and it didn't have any power sockets that I could find when I have used it before, but maybe I didn't look hard enough ]

The other tip is the old smoking area ( large glassed off section at the back of the lounge ) .. it tends to be less busy and there are a few power sockets beside the armchairs against the wall furthest from the door there.
The furniture in the overflow area has been replaced in the last couple of weeks, with what looks like large office-type meeting tables and chairs. It was roped off last night though so I couldn't go to take a closer look. The main body of the lounge however was packed and a total tip, with every surface covered with used crockery, beer bottles etc. The former smoking area is a good tip, although it has very limited power sockets.

On the plus side, I was through passport control in minutes - no queue at all.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gulliver_UK
You need to bear in mind that for some people removing their glasses means they can't actually see the display screen well enough to actually be able to see the instruction and/or to align their face properly. I always remember, for example, that I should have put my contact lenses in when stood in the queue for the gates. The gates are supposed to be able to cope with glasses.
The electronic gates in BCN do seem pretty temperamental compared to those at, say, Heathrow. Twice I've been stuck inside with both the entry and exit gates closed because the machine has failed, and quite often the kiosk from which these are monitored doesn't seem to be manned.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I have just received a message from BA asking me to be at passport control 90 mins before departure.
I received the same message for my flight tomorrow. My first visit through BCN so I hope it isn't too stressful!
Old May 8, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Barcelona is getting over-run, or so some residents are saying (30 million visitors in 2016). It's become a huge hit with tourists from Asia. The mayor, Ada Colau, has also made statements saying she doesn't think the city can't cope any more.
Not surprised since it is one of the top five cities on any traveler wishlist to visit @:-)
Old May 8, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Barcelona - top 5 wish list - which one???

..and if it was that popular, you would think the authorities would make it more welcoming.

Businesses that keep people waiting, whether in the phone or in Q's, should consider the income that the Q's are producing...
Old May 8, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
Barcelona - top 5 wish list - which one???

..and if it was that popular, you would think the authorities would make it more welcoming.

Businesses that keep people waiting, whether in the phone or in Q's, should consider the income that the Q's are producing...
The problem is that a large part of Barcelona's population (and, to some extent, the actual authorities) are completely fed up with tourism and want to make a crackdown.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
The problem is that a large part of Barcelona's population (and, to some extent, the actual authorities) are completely fed up with tourism and want to make a crackdown.
That is the most ridiculous post I have ever read. Can you support the comment with a quote from the Barcelona authorities????
Old May 8, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
That is the most ridiculous post I have ever read. Can you support the comment with a quote from the Barcelona authorities????
You mean like this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...tourists-away/
Old May 8, 2017, 8:20 am

Ha ha.. what city would want to kill
Old May 8, 2017, 8:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wrp96
Also here:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ne...tish-d0vhr9tr3 (partial paywall)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...led-by-tourism

Airbnb and cruise ships aren't helping. My colleagues in Barcelona, sane, liberal middle-class and educated, have also articulated how fed up they are that a city a fraction of the size of London has just as many visitors.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I'm en route ex BCN now. I was at the airport at 9, queue was 15 minutes then but we still had to wait about 15 minutes on the 1135 flight for missing passengers, so the queue must have got longer after I got through. Plus, as was mentioned above, the All Passports queue was quicker. Maybe not all the time but definitely today.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The current quarter of 2017 is quite a different beast than what was going on in 2014, 2015 and 2016 in terms of checks to enter and exit the Schengen zone.

Given Spain was already using an APIS regime well before the current quarter, Spain's relative nose-dive in service as a Schengen port of entry/exit is all the more noteworthy about the state of governmental process engineering to which the traveling public is subjected.
Yes, in fact Regulation (EU) 2017/458 (which introduced systematic checks of EU/EEA/Swiss citizens' travel documents against relevant databases when entering/leaving the Schengen Area) states in Recital 10:

Technological developments have made it possible, in principle, to consult relevant databases in such a way as to have a limited effect on the duration of border crossings, as the checks for both documents and persons can be carried out in parallel. Automatic border control gates could be relevant in that context. The use of passenger data received in accordance with Council Directive 2004/82/EC, or in accordance with other Union or national law, could also contribute to speeding up the process of carrying out the required checks during the border-crossing process. It is therefore possible to strengthen checks at external borders, without having a disproportionate negative effect on persons travelling in good faith, in order to better identify those persons who intend to hide their real identity or who are the subject of a relevant alert for security reasons or for arrest. Systematic checks should be carried out at all external borders.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:24 am

I can put hundreds on top of the ones @wrp96 and @corporate-wage-slave have already put here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.es/2017/01..._14438728.html

http://www.byebyebarcelona.com/eldocumental

https://skift.com/2017/01/30/protest...ourism-growth/

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/barc...ourist-numbers

etc
Old May 8, 2017, 10:01 am

will the queues be THAT bad if I arrive from GVA on an LX flight....with an eta of 2030h this Thursday? when is the mad/crazy busy time at BCN anyways?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.