BCN passport control delays

Old May 4, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
It's amazing that people are so petty and spiteful. Both the US and now the EU need to fix their immigration lines. No excuse for any pax to have to wait more than 20 minutes.
Add the UK also. 5 E-passport gates and 9 managed counters (not all of them open) for the whole MAN T3.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
It's amazing that people are so petty and spiteful. Both the US and now the EU need to fix their immigration lines. No excuse for any pax to have to wait more than 20 minutes.
Government won't give those departments more money and there is always demand to come to US and Europe, so where is the incentive?
Old May 4, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
^ US is much better these days with the new machines. It took me less than 15 minutes from Plane to Airtrain at JFK on Saturday. Similar good experience at LAS.

Conversely, a US colleague recently had a 90 minute wait at LHR T3 immigration.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Add the UK also. 5 E-passport gates and 9 managed counters (not all of them open) for the whole MAN T3.
Manchester departure security was a nightmare last week where every second bag was being sent down the second row for manual screening and the screener seemed to be deliberately going extra slow
Old May 4, 2017, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Well after all that, the delays at BCN.were no more than usual - the delays st T3 to get into UK were longer (so no change there either!)

I asked at BCN and they said they had had delays due to bank holiday - they jad a notice saying go through passport control 60 mins before your flight (as opposed to the 90 mins the text advised). Queues at normal security looked long but fast track was empty.

So not sure why BA sent text - guess they expected passport control to be busier than it was.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

We had a Vuelling flight last year BCN-MAN. The check in took about an hour (queue to join the main queue). After the relief of dumping the bags and getting through security in 5 minutes, we then hit the passport control queue.

Absolute chaos. It took about 45 minutes, but there were people jumping the queue and being pushed back. When the passport control guys noticed people pushing in, they'd not process them and send them back. However, this slowed it down even more as an argument would break out with the passengers saying they were going to miss their flights.

Fortunately, we arrived quite early at the airport, and were able to get 45 minutes in the lounge.

It then got even more chaotic. There was a late gate change, and they started boarding as soon as everyone arrived at the new gate. We were about the 5/6 there, and went down the escalators. The door to the Jetbridge was locked, and so everybody just stood around the bottom of the escalators. There was room for around 30 people, but there were 180 odd people coming down. Sensibly, those coming down started walking back up the stairs.

Eventually the Vuelling agent came to to see what was going on. She started shouting in Spanish at those of us near the door. Eventually, it became apparent that the plane at the end of the Jetbridge wasn't ours, and that we were supposed to have gone down another level, to where a couple of busses were waiting to take us to the remote stand

So... off we went, and boarded. Only to be told we had an hour delay

Put me off BCN for life!
Old May 5, 2017, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
@DYKWIA - that's a very bad experience. I've flown in and out of BCN nearly every 2 weeks or so for the last year, and nothing like that - mostly on BA, where priority check-in and 'carril rapdio' security helps, and a few times on Vueling.

With Vueling I booked BA marketed fares to get the Avios and TPs, then paid Vueling the 15 or so to upgrade to exit row ('XL') seats which get priority bag drop and boarding. it's shame Vueling don't offer fast track security at their home airport, and a bigger shame that BAEC benefits don't extend to other IAG airlines such as Vueling (since Lufthansa, SQ and Qantas do this on their co-owned LCCs, why not IAG?).
I have noticed the Vueling check-in queues being long sometimes, and the standard security queue at BCN can take a while. The EU passport lane to exit the Schengen area has never be that busy though, unless it has non-eligible pax in it due to poor queue management.

Generally I've found BCN a very quick airport to move through - I can get a bus from Pl Catalunya 90 mins before my flight and still make bag drop, and on occasion up to 60 mins before (not recommended!) and still make the flight. The airport bus is frequent and reasonably priced, the fast track security never has a queue, the lounge has better food than BA outstations and when arriving EU passport control is usually very quick. So on balance one of the better airports I have travelled through.

I think perhaps you have been unlucky - but I'd recommend purchasing the XL seating, which gives priority check in/boarding for not much extra over a BA-marketed Vueling fare, when travelling Vueling.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I have flown in and out of Barcelona nearly every week in 2014/15 an 16, I only experienced long queue once as the automatic machine were out of service to enter Spain, as for leaving, it has never took me more than 5 min, but as far as I can remember, they were typically looking quickly at my shenghen passport and rarely if ever scared it,

Regarding security, even when flying Y on veiling it was fairly quick, I never queued at the fast lane
Old May 5, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Talking of BCN, does anybody know what's going on with BA473 right now? Seems to have landed in BCN on time but is picking up a substantial delay heading back to LHR?
Old May 5, 2017, 4:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by noubliepas
Talking of BCN, does anybody know what's going on with BA473 right now? Seems to have landed in BCN on time but is picking up a substantial delay heading back to LHR?
Problems with a suspect package found at T3, combined with heightened alert status due to an arrest at T2 last night.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Problems with a suspect package found at T3, combined with heightened alert status due to an arrest at T2 last night.
Ah just saw the headlines! Thanks for the quick response.

Looks like it'll be a late night getting back from GIB..
Old May 5, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by dakaix
That would be an intra-Schengen route, and thus wouldn't have a Schengen Exit check.
THANKS dakaix!

US Citizen here....hope it's smooth sailing.

Wait, is my luggage checked thru to BCN although I have a 6+ layover in GVA? Hoping to be able to visit the city and take in the sites....where do yall suggest visiting if its raining?
Old May 5, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
Wait, is my luggage checked thru to BCN although I have a 6+ layover in GVA?
Is it all on one ticket? Issued by whom, and on which carriers?
Old May 5, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
Hoping to be able to visit the city and take in the sites....where do yall suggest visiting if its raining?
This forum is the best place to ask: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/
Old May 5, 2017, 9:12 am

OOOPS! Sorry Techie!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.