BCN passport control delays

Old May 4, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So you think it's OK for a USA citizen coming from the USA to stand in line for an hour for passport control to enter Europe but not for you and other EU citizens?
Absolutely.

What's the point of a union other than giving members benefits that's others don't get?
Old May 4, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishbcn
Have you seen how EU citizens are treated arriving in the US?
TBH, it has been much better in the last few years since ESTA holders (so EU citizens) can use the same machines in most airports US citizens use.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
I've not flown out of BCN but flying next week PMI-BCN on Vueling and BCN-LIS-EWR on TAP with a 1:40 connection, should I be concerned or is this considered a Schengen flight and I'll exit EU at LIS? Not checking bags.

Last edited by RunningforMiles; May 4, 2017 at 7:46 am
Old May 4, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The problem at ports of entry/exit keeps getting worse in Europe. As the governments increasingly rely upon automated passport controls and on more and more electronic and manual checks (against Interpol/SIS/national databases), things get slower and slower even for EU citizens and others.

This is not just an issue at BCN and other Spanish airports; it's increasingly an issue at Northern European airports too.
It's interesting that this appears to be widespread; I've experienced queues of 40+ minutes at GVA's exit check in recent weeks... originally I had put it down to the added complication of Easter, but having very nearly been offloaded there last week (despite having left the BA lounge 1hr before departure) the same excuse couldn't be applied.

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
TBH, it has been much better in the last few years since ESTA holders (so EU citizens) can use the same machines in most airports US citizens use.
Sadly those machines are available only to those who have travelled at least once on their current ESTA (or a passport linked with a previous ESTA). My sister, brother-in-law and niece experienced a wait of over 1.5hrs at MIA a couple of weeks back, as first time travelers they had to wait it out in the Visitors lane.

Last edited by dakaix; May 4, 2017 at 7:58 am Reason: Clarifiying
Old May 4, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dakaix
Sadly those machines are available only to those who have travelled at least once on their current ESTA (or a passport linked with a previously used ESTA). My sister, brother-in-law and niece experienced a wait of over 1.5hrs at MIA a couple of weeks back, as first time travelers they had to wait it out in the Visitors lane.
Miami is a nightmare for everyone. Even as a US citizen with Global Entry I avoid it like the plague.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:53 am

Sadly those machines are available only to those who have travelled at least once on their current ESTA. My sister, brother-in-law and niece experienced a wait of over 1.5hrs at MIA a couple of weeks back, as first time travelers they had to wait it out in the Visitors lane.
Not exactly. If you have had an ESTA before you can use them, and that includes if you are using a new passport/new ESTA/had ESTA before.

When visited the US in March, the machine rejected me the moment I scanned my passport and sent me to the reject lane as I had less than 3 months left on my passport. When they first allowed us to use the machines, it printed a big X on the ticket and sent them to the booth, but after doing the all the finger print and photo stuff.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Not exactly. If you have had an ESTA before you can use them, and that includes if you are using a new passport/new ESTA/had ESTA before.

When visited the US in March, the machine rejected me the moment I scanned my passport and sent me to the reject lane as I had less than 3 months left on my passport. When they first allowed us to use the machines, it printed a big X on the ticket and sent them to the booth, but after doing the all the finger print and photo stuff.

Apologies, indeed I updated my post to clarify that exact exclusion. Unfortunately in my inlaws case it was still not applicable since none of them had travelled to the US before. I made sure they were prepared to expect a long wait, since with a 2yr old having just stepped off a 10hour flight it would be a fractious time regardless!
Old May 4, 2017, 8:15 am

Apologies, indeed I updated my post to clarify that exact exclusion. Unfortunately in my inlaws case it was still not applicable since none of them had travelled to the US before. I made sure they were prepared to expect a long wait, since with a 2yr old having just stepped off a 10hour flight it would be a fractious time regardless!
Ha, too slow! :-)

Next time I fly to the US I'll most probably be using my 2nd passport (dual citizen) due to the expiry of the other, which had never been used in the US, but I will play dumb and use the machines, and see what happens. Then if most likely it doesn't work, I'll get sent to the shorter reject line.

IAH last year they didn't let us use the machines, and it was a total mess. The queue to get through customs looped back on itself twice. Places like ORD, LAX, SEA were a total breeze compared to the cluster f... they run at IAH.
That sounds like hell for your inlaws, MIA is a joke.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:55 am

is this really the case? I'm flying next week on LX from GVA to BCN, arriving at ~2030h. Hope the queues are not THAT bad!?
Old May 4, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
is this really the case? I'm flying next week on LX from GVA to BCN, arriving at ~2030h. Hope the queues are not THAT bad!?
That would be an intra-Schengen route, and thus wouldn't have a Schengen Exit check.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Absolutely.

What's the point of a union other than giving members benefits that's others don't get?
It depends what the economic policy goals are I suppose. The last time I flew into YVR they were doing the opposite, i.e., asking all tourists to step out of the long arrival line to be walked by staff to a much shorter line. I don't fly there enough to know if its a daily policy.

A country is probably not going to be able to improve the impression of a citizen of that country but they might be able to improve the impression of an infrequent visitor. Captive vs. capture is a basic business trade off.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I think it is plain RUDE to keep any foreign national in a line for more than 30 minutes trying to enter a country.

Either countries want foreign travel (most normal countries) or they don't (probably north Korea) .
Old May 4, 2017, 12:45 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So you think it's OK for a USA citizen coming from the USA to stand in line for an hour for passport control to enter Europe but not for you and other EU citizens?
When I think how long even crew have been kept waiting to enter the USA in the past, I have absolutely no problem with that. Sorry! What's more we have to pay for ESTA and Visas - be thankful the UK does not ask the same in return. As a passenger, I have waited two hours in the past at Dulles, at JFK, and at the unspeakable Miami. If matters have improved, then all well and good. In fairness I really cannot remember being delayed much when we arrived at DFW the other day. I smile when I read about the fuss over these fast track passport cards over at AA, as I do not recall such an arrangement being available for our passengers then or now. What's sauce for the goose....

To get back to topic, I am most surprised to learn that about BCN as I have never had a problem there. I noted the other day coming from BCN to NCE that the police were checking IDs and passports of all arriving passenger whether Schenghen or not. So much for borderless travel thought I. Unsurprising in this day and age.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, KL FB Ivory, SK EB Basic, FI Saga, DY Reward, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Dubh
Same over at Linate. 45mins to get through for the morning flight last week. New EU reg cited. People had already missed the LCY flight.
Cheers Dubh for the heads-up about LIN. Will be passing through to go home on Tuesday, even if mine's intra-Schengen, it can get a bit busy at the best of times. Will give it a bit of extra time for my evening flight.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
It's amazing that people are so petty and spiteful. Both the US and now the EU need to fix their immigration lines. No excuse for any pax to have to wait more than 20 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.