Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
mrow ... my experience on AA is that they really hate pax gathering near the cockpit door, and the front Galley, and actually shoo us away. It may be cabin arrangements, of course, where the FD people have to use the communal toilets ... I have no idea how the crew bogs are arranged on a BA 777

I am aware that there are crew bunks on the AA A330s opposite the pax loo in J. Could one capture a relief pilot? You can understand why they get a bit sensitive about disruption at the sharp end.
This is my experience too. AA are very sensitive about things around the flight deck...moreso than I've seen and experienced on BA. The point I was trying to make was that there was very little chance that the troublesome passenger would become a significant impediment to the operation of the flight deck.

That said, as per my previous post, I fully understand why they'd want him removed from the aircraft as soon as possible. If I were the captain I wouldn't want someone creating merry hell in the cabin...just because they can't break the door down and get to me on the flight deck, doesn't mean I wouldn't have concern for the safety of the other passengers and crew.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I am 65 or over. I also smoke, so I have cancer. I can become grumpy. My daughter and lots of relatives are diabetic, so I probably have that too.

So come on airlines. Stop allowing me to stay in POW class. Put me up front!!!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
firstlight ... agree completely on the pax load, How many miraculously become fully mobile at KIN deserves a survey

It's not a route we actually enjoy in J, TBH ... just a means to an end and glad when it's over. The impact of the W and Y pax cannot be understated.
Pretty much like an India flight then....
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
... on the FR flight back as he's going to be very disappointed trying to self upgraded
On FR everybody's flying first class
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by Nuster
Ok but I have not seen from the information we have, that there was a risk to others. Perhaps there was although it doesnt look likely, in which case tying him up removed that rusk implying the plane diverted because of concern for the medical condition of the same person who was a risk to others. It seems contradictory but as others are sure to say, we were not there
Considering he was restrained then that to me says he was a risk to others or the crew thought there was.....
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Diabetic symptoms?

I wonder how many of the crew were trained First Aiders and able to spot a potential display of a worsening diabetes condition, symptoms which can be anxiety, confusion and even irritated aggression. Yes I appreciate hard to tell apart from a tired drunk too...

Maybe they should of let him calmly sit in a quiet seat in business whilst a crew member assessed his claims about his condition, & possibly called for a GP onboard?

If he was "trying it on" that should be able to have been assessed also.

If it was the latter, formally get CSM to explain that if he doesn't return to his paid seat in the next 20 mins, warn the pax they will be pending an investigation which could result in them never flying with BA (and affiliated airlines) again? This could been a lot cheaper for BA rather than emergency landing and yet more negative PR.

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Apr 27, 2017 at 12:29 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
To me this is a question of proportionality. IF this passenger was a PHYSICAL threat to the security of the flight then BA have acted correctly; however, it seems to me (based on the limited information available) that this passenger was a pain in the arse! OK he "self upgraded". For the sake of the flight, CC should have just left him there and then dealt with it as a civil issue, refusing CW service etc whilst en route. Just because an issue takes places in the air does not give CC the right to use physical force that seems completely disproportionate to the actual issue. If he is verbally abusive that can be dealt with as a criminal offence upon landing. Tying someone up, handcuffing them, then having to land is just completely OTT. It is for BA to justify the use of force, and yes the PIC has sole authority BUT it is still necessary for the PIC to justify the use of force, and the proportionality of the force used. Yes, we want to hear from BA; however, legally on the force issue, I suspect BA could be in a bit of a pickle here if this customer decides to pursue civil action for inter alia assault. I see nothing here that justifies the amount of force used.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A reasoned response, ScubaRoo. But ... next time I feel the need, as an Elder, shoukd I play the indefinable Health Card? "Oh, I have Diabetes and Cancer and a Bad Back and Kidney Stones and Bad Teeth ... etc." ... put me in First or I will die!

It smells to me like trying it on. If he's that ill, he shouldn't be attempting a 10-hour sector.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:33 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Maybe they should of let him calmly sit in a quiet seat in business whilst a crew member assessed his claims about his condition, & possibly called for a GP onboard?
Very good point, but,

What If I wanted to also do that. I'm perfectly healthy and could just help myself to a business class seat saying that i'm feeling very sick and like I might have food poisoning and just threw up in the toilet before i helped myself to a business class seat.

I also get very grumpy if I don't eat often, but I bring snacks with me.

That is the problem in my view, anyone can say anything to sit further froward and its very hard for an airline crew to do much about it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My sympathies lie with the customers and crew who have had to put up with the consequences of this eejits actions.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More info tomorrow, I hope, once BA has got it's act together.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
But would you push it?

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Very good point, but,

What If I wanted to also do that. I'm perfectly healthy and could just help myself to a business class seat saying that i'm feeling very sick and like I might have food poisoning and just threw up in the toilet before i helped myself to a business class seat.

I also get very grumpy if I don't eat often, but I bring snacks with me.

That is the problem in my view, anyone can say anything to sit further froward and its very hard for an airline crew to do much about it.
But if you're (hypothetically) selfish/stupid enough to try on such a stunt, my suggestions for how the crew responds would make you think twice. Especially if warned that such overly disruptive behaviour could also lead to criminal charges and/or an emergency diversion for medical or security reasons....

​​​​​

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Apr 27, 2017 at 12:52 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
But if you're (hypothetically) selfish/stupid enough to try on such a stunt, my suggestions for how the crew responds would make you think twice. Especially if warned that such overly disruptive behaviour could also lead to criminal charges.

​​​​​
I believe 'disrupting a flight on public transport' is indeed an offence. whether BA would wish to pursue that is a different question, given the adverse publicity that would ensue.

But, hey mon, let's try this and see how it goes, eh?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I believe 'disrupting a flight on public transport' is indeed an offence. whether BA would wish to pursue that is a different question, given the adverse publicity that would ensue.

I think its significant that Azores police saw nothing wrong with his actions and released him immediately.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k

EH? Please leave us Canadians out of it... Ya Man?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.