Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by T8191
The latest DM update tells just one side of a story. I would be very surprised if the CC would have tied him up for simply being in First, so there's a lot more to come from their side.
Yes but if he was sitting in First and the CC asked him to move and he kept on refusing, that means he is refusing to comply with CC's instructions which they would obviously take very seriously. If he started shouting and causing commotion, it is easy to see the CC then forcing him to leave and then cuffing him at the back for being unruly.

This must have gone on for a while before reaching this stage, with many cabin crew involved.

Originally Posted by T8191
The latest DM update tells just one side of a story. I would be very surprised if the CC would have tied him up for simply being in First, so there's a lot more to come from their side.
Shows how poor the BA press office is that they haven't even given an off the record briefing to journalists about this - the story is now basically becoming about how their crew are being heavy-handed with a cancer sufferer and making him defecate in his seat, rather than someone who (presumably?) posed a serious risk to flight safety and that BA puts safety above everything else.

Originally Posted by chazman189
The bit that is odd is how they turfed off a woman for "trying to help him". That, to me, suggests an over-reaction from the cabin crew, assuming she was literally a by-stander
From the story it seems they were travelling together?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by chazman189
Fellow passenger Joy Stoney, a businesswoman from Yorkshire, was thrown off the flight alongside the retired Jamaican man and abandoned on the Portuguese island of Terceira after trying to help him.
Ms Stoney, who was wrongly reported as being Mr Bantu's partner, told MailOnline how stewards told him to 'defecate in his seat' when he told them he needed the toilet.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why people no longer get involved in altercations.

Something still doesn't add up. If Mr Kwame was just peacefully "walking around" for him it is an overreaction to be trussed up like a turkey. So I wonder what really went on.

Chucking Ms Stoney off seems harsh, if she was genuinely just a bystander. And again, makes me think overreaction. But BA cabin crew don't tend to overreact.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Jordan D
Assume this flight then took a night stop at LGW? A shame that BA couldn't be a little bit more creative (as they had been previously) as positioned a crew out to somewhere in Europe (LIS?) and get plane/crew to meet there to go on ..

I'm not sure how it would work timing wise, but that seems (to an outsider) as a more sensible option ... no doubt someone will tell me why that can't be done.
If the crew had positioned to Lisbon etc they also would have been out of hours to fly the next sector onwards, returning to LGW was the most efficient way of getting the passengers to where they wanted be in the quickest way.

Trying to make a determination of what happened and who did what to whom and why, on the basis of a Daily Mail article seems to me to be a schoolboy error.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:15 am

By the way guys, just went to www.dailymail.co.uk, and this story is their first article.
That means it will be seen by millions of people.
So this is very big news.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
As Waterhorse said, one should not take the DM even remotely at its word, although I am intrigued why the DM seem to have it in for BA even more than many FT-ers do.

The references to "cancer" and "diabetes" obviously lend a certain effect as does embellishing the article with words like "ambushed" etc.

That doesn't mean that the crew didn't overreact or that they handled it appropriately, but I would reserve judgment until further info comes out- the DM is something of an irrelevance on that front, though unfortunately for BA it's sufficiently well read in the UK and beyond for this to be another dollop of very bad publicity.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
As Waterhorse said, one should not take the DM even remotely at its word, although I am intrigued why the DM seem to have it in for BA even more than many FT-ers do.

The references to "cancer" and "diabetes" obviously lend a certain effect as does embellishing the article with words like "ambushed" etc.

That doesn't mean that the crew didn't overreact or that they handled it appropriately, but I would reserve judgment until further info comes out- the DM is something of an irrelevance on that front, though unfortunately for BA it's sufficiently well read in the UK and beyond for this to be another dollop of very bad publicity.
I reiterate: a total fail from the BA press office
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In the interests of accuracy, the DM didn't say 'cancer', it said 'CANCER'

Anything to bump up the hype, without any effort to get the other side of the story, of course. As noted up-thread, BA's PR seem very slow in putting their side.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
If the crew had positioned to Lisbon etc they also would have been out of hours to fly the next sector onwards, returning to LGW was the most efficient way of getting the passengers to where they wanted be in the quickest way.
How long was the aircraft on ground back at LGW before it headed on its way again?

And how long was the aircraft in the Azores for it to push the crew out of hours?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
BA needs to move to Defcon One very quickly on this issue.

I can't comment on the rights and wrongs of the particular situation, but with the United Airlines stories fresh in media minds this story could escalate into a huge deal very very quickly. I hope the BA press office or their PR Advisers are up to it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Crikey - isn't the Mail Online the most read news worldwide online? They need to quickly release an indication of their side of events ?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A look at BA's Twitter feed shows it's global already, in numerous languages and undecipherable sqiggle ones
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:37 am

There has to be more to the story than the DM is portraying, in particular in light of the recent United story. The report just seems incredible.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by bibbju
I'm surprised, and a little disappointed, that we don't have at least one FT member who was on the plane to report in with their version of events. All sounds very bizarre but a brave and bold move by the Captain. Well done him/her! I feel for the rest of the passengers though.
Everybody, if they're like me, is boycotting British Airways!
Sounds like he probably behaved a bit strangely and said something unfortunate, and they went into full defense mode. It's a shame that flying has become like this. Again, I feel the European carriers are not quite the same in this respect. But as others have mentioned, there's a lot more detail here than we know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.