Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

It reads as a couple who demanded to move from Y to J, a dispute took place apparently filmed by the couple themselves and it diverted to Terceira, a Portugese Air Force Base in the mid Atlantic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ess-class-row/

Not a decision the Captain would have taken lightly to divert and land.

Last edited by PETER01; Apr 26, 2017 at 7:04 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Unfortunately there is not much to go on in the article. Sounds like the couple needed to be removed so sure this is not a decision the captain would have taken lightly, whereas the article seems to want to spin it as another case of BA bashing.

Would also suggest that this threads title is also slightly misleading (at least to me) as it suggests some form of overbooking which does not appear to be the case here.

Hopefully more will come out in the wash.

Edit. According to thebasource the crew had insufficient hours to complete the journey so the plane was flown back to LGW.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I understand that the aircraft and remaining passengers returned to LGW due to crew not having sufficient time left to reach the destination !!!!

Great pic of an Airbus A32x in the article
cs
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
Unfortunately there is not much to go on in the article. Sounds like the couple needed to be removed so sure this is not a decision the captain would have taken lightly, whereas the article seems to want to spin it as another case of BA bashing.

Would also suggest that this threads title is also slightly misleading (at least to me) as it suggests some form of overbooking which does not appear to be the case here.

Hopefully more will come out in the wash.
I'm sure more may come but misleading I can't see that as the plane diverted which is the title!

Anyhow, titles are a matter for the Moderators so I'll leave it up to them.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:47 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Says they wanted economy to first class in the article.

I can't wait to hear the reason why they wanted that upgrade.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Says they wanted economy to first class in the article.

I can't wait to hear the reason why they wanted that upgrade.
I'll bet it has something to do with alcohol. And maybe the mistaken notion, s​​​​​omewhat common among infrequent flyers, that once the doors close, you can sit in any empty seat. After all, it's empty, all the seats are going to the same place anyway and you're leaving an empty seat in exchange. So it must be allowed.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by madfish
According to thebasource the crew had insufficient hours to complete the journey so the plane was flown back to LGW.
http://thebasource.com/british-airwa...ck-diversions/

Which also means it was the LGW-KIN flight that diverted. (Have requested {another} thread retitle as currently showing the reverse.)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA

http://thebasource.com/british-airwa...ck-diversions/

Which also means it was the LGW-KIN flight that diverted. (Have requested {another} thread retitle as currently showing the reverse.)
Oops, thanks for the correction re the route as I got the flight the wrong way around!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
I'll bet it has something to do with alcohol.
That was my first thoughts as well but I am sure the story will unfold in time.

Originally Posted by rickg523
And maybe the mistaken notion, s​​​​​omewhat common among infrequent flyers, that once the doors close, you can sit in any empty seat. After all, it's empty, all the seats are going to the same place anyway and you're leaving an empty seat in exchange. So it must be allowed.
I like the way you've written that as that would appear to be very logical!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
LGW-KIN not the other way.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Maybe they were on a 2-4-1 and got downgraded, then someone else no-showed leaving the seat open
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
On tenterhooks waiting for the full facts....
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC
I think all this mentioning of the "Portugese Air Force Base" is just a red herring. I've been to TER, and it's a normal airport for the most part, much like any airport that shares a runway (e.g. DRW) with the military. I guess it's more dramatic that just saying "it diverted". The headline makes it sound like it was a military arrest/diversion/detention.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Still waiting for clarity on the Telegraph report. Were they wanting to move to Business Class or First Class??
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Still waiting for clarity on the Telegraph report. Were they wanting to move to Business Class or First Class??
Not sure why that it is important, what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.