Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by monkeytennis
Just about to blow a 2 for 1 on a RFS as I’ve nothing else to use it on. I thought I might use the new low fees option to maximise the benefit of the voucher but when I try to use the voucher all the other options disappear and I’m just left with the old RFS fees. Is this to be expected?
yes that’s normal.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:53 am

241 to FTV

Am I correct in this: our 241 is due to expire November 2021 (had already been extended to this date). In the likely event we won’t be able to use it for anything worthwhile by then, I can book any flight now using the 241, and then cancel it as by doing so will trigger a FTV that I can use until April 2022? If i booked a short haul redemption now just to minimise cost, could I use the FTV for a long haul trip before April 2022 and still avail of the fact there is a 241 contained within the FTV?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Drpepper3k
Am I correct in this: our 241 is due to expire November 2021 (had already been extended to this date). In the likely event we won’t be able to use it for anything worthwhile by then, I can book any flight now using the 241, and then cancel it as by doing so will trigger a FTV that I can use until April 2022? If i booked a short haul redemption now just to minimise cost, could I use the FTV for a long haul trip before April 2022 and still avail of the fact there is a 241 contained within the FTV?
Welcome to FT Drpepper3k

Yes I think you have understood it all correctly. I can't see any issues with your plan. As long as the current policy of allowing FTVs for any new bookings made by the end of this August September for travel anytime up to the end of next August an FTV should be an option.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 9, 2020 at 10:09 am
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT Drpepper3k

Yes I think you have understood it all correctly. I can't see any issues with your plan. As long as the current policy of allowing FTVs for any new bookings made by the end of this August for travel anytime up to the end of next August an FTV should be an option.
My apologies KARFA but I thought it was now any bookings made up to 30 September 2020 for all flights to be completed by 31 August 2021.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
My apologies KARFA but I thought it was now any bookings made up to 30 September 2020 for all flights to be completed by 31 August 2021.
Apologies, yes it is:

- Bookings made prior to 3 March 2020 for travel up to 30 September 2020
- Bookings made between 3 March 2020 and 30 September 2020 for journeys that are due to have been completed by 31 August 2021
- If your flight has been cancelled you are eligible for a voucher, regardless of your booking or travel dates.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: ba exec club
Question if anyone can help -

I forgot about my membership year end approaching however luckily had a few large purchases to make. I made these a few days before the expiration date and they all cleared on the day my earning year ends so I’m hoping this was achieved. Is there anywhere to immediately see if I have indeed earned the voucher? The app has rolled over to the next years spend now..
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ABJ92
Question if anyone can help -

I forgot about my membership year end approaching however luckily had a few large purchases to make. I made these a few days before the expiration date and they all cleared on the day my earning year ends so I’m hoping this was achieved. Is there anywhere to immediately see if I have indeed earned the voucher? The app has rolled over to the next years spend now..
You normally get an email a few days after hitting the threshold to confirm you have earned the voucher. If memory serves me right, it took 5 days last time for me.
However if any issues, ring Amex or use their chat service online which I find very useful and they should be able to check for you.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Keystone
Advice/thoughts please: I've just had my J Class 2-4-1 LHR>SYD cancelled (Oct out, Nov inbound) booked in mid Dec 2019. The voucher has an amended expiry date of Sept 21.

Is there any advantage in taking an FTV rather than getting the 250,000 Avios, £1530 and Voucher back. Mrs K and I already have 2 more vouchers which expire in Aug 22 and Jan 23 so having an FTV voucher expiry of April 2022 isn't that much of a benefit.

Many thanks.
A bit of a delayed response so may be too late but in your case I can't see any benefit to taking a FTV instead of refund of everything. The only advantage of taking a FTV is no refund of £1,530 to Amex account meaning you won't have to spend £11,530 to get yet another voucher. That is offset against the advantage of having cash in your Amex and the ability to redeem Amex 2-4-1 online remembering that the FTV can only be redeemed by calling and that both outbound and inbound travel have to be completed by end of Apr2022. Redeeming 2-4-1 online only requires outbound travel to be booked/ completed before 2-4-1 expiry date.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:24 am

Hi, I am new to this and rather stupidly had the classic/free card and spent £20k to activate the 2-4-1 voucher, with only 12 months validity. It wasn't my intention and only had the free card as an easy way of collecting points. If I were to upgrade now to the premium card will I get the additional 12 months added to my voucher?

I appreciate the opposite question is answered in the FAQ (if you earn the voucher on premium and subsequently downgrade) but can't find this query anywhere.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mmcguigan
Hi, I am new to this and rather stupidly had the classic/free card and spent £20k to activate the 2-4-1 voucher, with only 12 months validity. It wasn't my intention and only had the free card as an easy way of collecting points. If I were to upgrade now to the premium card will I get the additional 12 months added to my voucher?

I appreciate the opposite question is answered in the FAQ (if you earn the voucher on premium and subsequently downgrade) but can't find this query anywhere.

Thanks!
Unfortunately once you earn the voucher on the free card, you cannot then upgrade to the premier card to extend the validity of the voucher. If you upgraded just before hitting your 20k threshold, you would had the 2 year validity voucher. Sorry to give you the bad news.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by mmcguigan

Thanks!
There is a fix you can use/misuse at present to unwind this problem. If you don’t think you can use the 241 within 12 months, you can make any booking with the 241 and then change your mind under BA’s flexibility policy. You’ll get a future travel voucher with April 2022 expiry (all travel by) that contains your 241 and therefore extends its validity.

As far as I know you need only make a booking to AMS for 8k + £70, which means BA are keeping hold of very little within the FTV. You can still use the FTV for a trip of any distance/class even if the difference to pay is 200k and £1100.

The downside is you won’t be able to change your companion and you can as easily do a T-355 midnight booking.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:59 am

Thanks - I didn't realise this would be possible so will definitely look into doing that. Ideally I will be travelling Sep 2021 so well within those timescales. Appreciate the help thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
There is a fix you can use/misuse at present to unwind this problem. If you don’t think you can use the 241 within 12 months, you can make any booking with the 241 and then change your mind under BA’s flexibility policy. You’ll get a future travel voucher with April 2022 expiry (all travel by) that contains your 241 and therefore extends its validity.

As far as I know you need only make a booking to AMS for 8k + £70, which means BA are keeping hold of very little within the FTV. You can still use the FTV for a trip of any distance/class even if the difference to pay is 200k and £1100.

The downside is you won’t be able to change your companion and you can as easily do a T-355 midnight booking.
If one were to avail of this cheeky workaround, presumably any payment of taxes for a future re-booking to a more expensive destination would still need to be made with an Amex card? I am considering cancelling mine shortly, as I can't justify the annual fee, given that I am now finding it difficult to make the annual spending threshold to trigger a 2-4-1.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
If one were to avail of this cheeky workaround, presumably any payment of taxes for a future re-booking to a more expensive destination would still need to be made with an Amex card? I am considering cancelling mine shortly, as I can't justify the annual fee, given that I am now finding it difficult to make the annual spending threshold to trigger a 2-4-1.
I'd assume so but surely you'd be as well dropping down to the free one?
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by sigma421
I'd assume so but surely you'd be as well dropping down to the free one?
Good point, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.