Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Lounge access 16 year old

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I am young, and to add insult to injury (in terms of going to bars and accessing other places for those "of age"), I look young (I hear "are you 16" a lot). However, nobody has ever asked me to see any sort of credentials at LHR or otherwise in Europe. I usually dress nice when flying (even when flying Y), approach with a smile, and get nothing more than a "welcome in." This would work for me when I was not "of age," but I was close (~17).

Of course, if you're in the USA, it is much different...

+1. Sharp kid. You should be a proud parent.
Thank you,I am.

I was asked to produce ID before they would serve me a drink in New York a while ago.Just the way the rules and public opinion are.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I am 55 and still get carded in Orlando... as does EVERONE else in the public area bar...
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
I am 55 and still get carded in Orlando... as does EVERONE else in the public area bar...
Not sure if it's still there, but in the gents in the BA lounge at DFW a couple of years ago there was a sign warning me of the dangers of drinking while pregnant.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The main difference between BA lounges and AA ones is the self-serve alcohol. That is the primary consideration, I think, in terms of why BA has an age limit.

On the flip side, my 16 year old step-daughter was flying on her own from FAT - PHX - LAS recently and had no issues being admitted to the AA lounge in PHX nor being offered premium drinks vouchers. Now admittedly these can also be redeemed for smoothies and bottled water so that doesn't imply she was perceived as being of age to drink.

Different situations, different countries, different rules
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're getting carded at age 55, the only proper response to the request is...
"Why, THANK YOU!"
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by shobday96
On the ground I think technically it's the law of the country you're in, but once in the air the law of the country that the aircraft is registered to applies. But really these are only technicalities
My 15 year old was offered champagne on a recent flight, I think it was on AA, LHR-LAX ... She was with us parents, but we were not consulted.
No biggie, as she wouldn't touch it anyway, but we thought at the time that was a bit strange.... maybe cabin crew was just on auto-pilot
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I first had lounge access since 17 years of age. I was never stopped until an agent asked my age by the time I turned 18 in LHR
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
When I was about 14 i got into the Aerlingus lounge in Dublin with my 7 year nephew.

I use to fly a lot as a kid DUB - Spain without any issues using the EI lounge in Dublinand IB lounges in MAD/BCN/AGP.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by rapidex
They do not let 18 year olds in the US lounges.Which causes a problem with the sleeper services,under 21's cannot use the lounge for pre flight dining when travelling alone and there is no meal onboard in CW.Predictably BA offer no compensation.
Plenty of places to grab a bite in the terminal if they're hungry.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
They do not let 18 year olds in the US lounges.Which causes a problem with the sleeper services,under 21's cannot use the lounge for pre flight dining when travelling alone and there is no meal onboard in CW.Predictably BA offer no compensation.
There most certainly is a meal. The pre flight supper in the lounge is an option but it is just an option.

It might be a supper or a quick service but there is 100% a meal in CW.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 21, 2017 at 4:58 am Reason: typos! must clean glasses!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by MrsW
My eldest son is 14 and looks it. They let him into the lounge in Madrid on his own in January.
Iberia's lounge access age is 12, the same age you need to be to fly without UM

Originally Posted by Athlete95
I only once had a problem getting into a lounge when I was under 18, this was at LGW with an absolute dragon of a staff member who spoke to me in an awful manner- with one of those 'all teenagers are yobs' kind of attitudes.

However, this was only one occasion out of many, almost monthly lounge visits for me (between about 15-18) in a whole host of airports, mostly when I was Silver travelling in Y. In hindsight I'd now consider asking someone near the entrance who looks relatively approachable if no one is available on the FT meet up thread!
I've used the BA lounge at TXL underage and they didn't bat an eye. Same went for all Admirals Clubs I've visited.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
My son will be re-attempting to gain entry without denied access again in June at the Emirates Lounge in Dubai , EK are like the CIA of ensuring under 18's don't get into the lounge at DXB, even thou drinking age is 21 in Dubai. He is late 17 and soon to be 18 in a few months , will let you know how it goes. Only ever denied access to the BA slow lounge in Cape Town when he was 16.

Don't worry he wouldn't touch the Dom at that ages in the lounge , unlike his father !
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I was asked to produce ID before they would serve me a drink in New York a while ago.Just the way the rules and public opinion are.
The bars at New Orleans Airport (MSY) have a rule that every patron, even those who are obviously in their golden years, must be carded. It is largely an annoyance, except for to the middle-aged women who are unaware of the policy and take it as a compliment that they look young. One of the bartenders told me that they are spot-checked by "secret shoppers," and that it'd be a big mistake to "forget" to card someone. There are people who visit weekly (or more) and know the bartenders personally, and they still get carded.

So it goes with our customs and laws, I guess.

Originally Posted by Howard Long
Not sure if it's still there, but in the gents in the BA lounge at DFW a couple of years ago there was a sign warning me of the dangers of drinking while pregnant.
I know certain cities require that these placards be posted in male and female restrooms. New Orleans requires it, and you'll certainly see it in hotel restrooms there.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm still chuckling at the thought of what might befall my strapping 17 3/4 year-old son if he dares to speak to anyone at T5...

He did pull an 18 year-old on the plane a few months ago, so the sky's the limit I guess
george77300 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Bringing up this old thread. I’m 19, at JFK at the moment - denied access due to age and was offered a $19 voucher for use in the terminal.
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.