Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Taking the Highland Spring (glass) bottles from the lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking the Highland Spring (glass) bottles from the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
To be honest the worst part of this is drinking out of a large glass bottle in public - very rude.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I used to take out small bottles (eg: Evian in AA or Hildon in CX-both 0,33l), but these days I just purchase 1,5 or 2L (can't remember exactly) from WH Smith for £1,97. It's just easier.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
If he took a swig from the bottle I wouldn't really want him to put it back either!

Seriously though, we have these threads every now and again. Theft is wrong but different people appear to have different views on the definition of 'theft'.
I would hardly label it as 'theft' if he was entitled to be in the lounge. Where do you draw the line and who decides? Newspapers? Magazines? People getting vert het up over a bottle of water when the guy might have spend thousands of pounds of his own money gaining membership.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Fair enough, but as we get served water on board anyway (at least in J) how many gallons do people need to drink?

Perhaps it's my metabolism, but I might drink 200ml (if that) on a TATL, and none in transit. Maybe 100l on a subsequent transcon leg.

Is this the new H2Ophobia? "Keep hydrated at all costs"? How have I survived 72 years without filling myself with pints of water all the time? We never used to do that, so what's new?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
How very true ... sadly.
Perhaps they should look at these..

Skipping Rocks water Its a edible water bottle.

(note I am an investor in this company)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I would hardly label it as 'theft' if he was entitled to be in the lounge. Where do you draw the line and who decides? Newspapers? Magazines? People getting vert het up over a bottle of water when the guy might have spend thousands of pounds of his own money gaining membership.
Thank you for making my point for me. As I tried to indicate, people's definition of theft varies. I tend to be at one end of the spectrum and we've had at least one view that's completely at the other end. Most people are somewhere in between.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Worcester
Perhaps they should look at these..

.... water Its a edible water bottle.

(note I am an investor in this company)
Sub-100ml, I hope?

OMG, the things people are prepared to buy, when the stuff comes free out of a tap/faucet
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I am not sure whether people have a different view of what constitutes theft but perhaps more on what constitutes dishonesty.

Anyway, my take on this is that it would be perfectly acceptable to drink a whole bottle of water in the lounge, but it is not acceptable to take the bottle (full or empty) from the lounge. I also don't think it's acceptable to decant the water from the bottle into your own bottle and then leave the lounge.

I really don't care how much people eat or drink in the lounge. I am not the gluttony police or the "Who ate all the pies?" monitor! However, the food and drink provided in the lounge is generally for consumption in the lounge. I am fairly tolerant of people taking a packet of crisps or a can of coke with them for the flight but anything more than that would probably be too much in my view.
Exactly my beliefs on the subject.

I regularly take a full bottle to my table as I will always drink more than one glass worth, I would never swig from the bottle, it just saves me going back and forth to fill up my glass. The bottle gets returned if it's not empty and I would never remove it from the lounge.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Is it tacky and potentially greedy? I'd say so. Is it theft? Not so much, in my opinion. Some things, like crisps, cookies, water, and coffee/tea, are meant to be taken away. As another poster mentioned, BA can institute a no-takeaway policy or place small placards at the water bar if they wish for people to consume in the lounge only. BA likely won't do this if it sees its customers as adults, but it's always an option if water "spillage" becomes an issue for them.

Last year, I watched someone fill a large Nalgene bottle with Johnny Walker Blue, plonk the empty JW bottle back on the bar, and then leave the lounge. That's abuse if I've ever seen it. I've seen plenty of people funneling "roadie" cocktails into smaller water bottles, too.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
He probably plans to sell the bottle on eBay.
I lol'd. Maybe it's the dude selling blankets.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by BAflyer90
First time I've seen this, a guy picked up a large unopened glass bottle of water, opened it and took a swig from the bottle, then walked out with the whole thing

Acceptable?
People take the large Desani plastic water bottle all the time from Delta lounge.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brewdog11
...Some things, like crisps, cookies, water, and coffee/tea, are meant to be taken away...
Where does it explicitly say this?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Thank you for making my point for me. As I tried to indicate, people's definition of theft varies. I tend to be at one end of the spectrum and we've had at least one view that's completely at the other end. Most people are somewhere in between.
That's entirely misrepresents what I posted. My point is that if you can consume it in the lounge without limit then how can it be theft if it leaves in your bag rather than your belly so long as it is intended for personal consumption."

FYI, I have only ever taken 2 small cans of diet coke for a SH flight in all the times that I have been in the lounge. The reason that I have not taken anything above this is not because I think it is theft to do so but as I have never felt the need.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Exactly my beliefs on the subject.

I regularly take a full bottle to my table as I will always drink more than one glass worth, I would never swig from the bottle, it just saves me going back and forth to fill up my glass. The bottle gets returned if it's not empty and I would never remove it from the lounge.
I normally drink more than one glass of champagne/wine- is it acceptable to take a bottle of fizzy/wine to my table? I really don't know the answer - I think it is wrong but people think it is ok to place a bottle of water on their table - what is the difference?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by skchin
People take the large Desani plastic water bottle all the time from Delta lounge.
They are probably welcome to it given that when Coca Cola launched it in the UK it was found first to come from water in Peckham (a well UK sitcom previously covered an attempt by a fraudster attempting to sell Peckham Spings water at a premium).

In fact the Coca Cola launch was a textbook example of how not to launch a product.

It started with the tag line

"can't live without spunk"
I assume because US executives of Cola did not understand than Spunk is a a British euphemism for something entirely different from what they intended (I hope so anyway). Know your market.

Then the Food Standards Agency found quantities of Bromate far higher in the water than legally allowed. [Don't poison your consumer] This and front page headlines that this was basically processed tap water killed the brand in both the UK and the wider EU.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Worcester
They are probably welcome to it given that when Coca Cola launched it in the UK it was found first to come from water in Peckham (a well UK sitcom previously covered an attempt by a fraudster attempting to sell Peckham Spings water at a premium).

It was Sidcup tap water where Coke had a factory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.