Wiki Posts
Search

Is this really First?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by simons1
Great. But OP is travelling to POS on a 777.
My comment on there being much more space still applies. I just said "particularly on A380" - that does not mean I excluded the 777 from my comment.

There is a lot more space in F on a 777 than in CW.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I smile as I read these threads. It just reinforces how elitist FT is. The majority of the people that I know will never ever sit in a CW seat, let alone a F one. It never ceases to surprise me, even after all these years, that the majority seem to be in F. Apart from those reduced to Panini and M&S sandwiches.

I wonder what we will be complaining about in another 10 years time?

Plus ca change..
As someone who for virtually all of my working life only flew economy, running a small business, I understand and completely agree with you. I sold my business and now have many holidays with Mrs. Firstlight sharing 1E/1F with her in CW and the amenities in first lounges. I redeem with companion vouchers into F but everytime we go I thank my lucky stars for being able to fly in premium classes. We pay several thousand a year to HM government in APD which I regard as fair dues for our good fortune.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My comment on there being much more space still applies. I just said "particularly on A380" - that does not mean I excluded the 777 from my comment.

There is a lot more space in F on a 777 than in CW.
Even in old F I enjoyed my window seat on the 777 better than the 747. I'm surprised when I read people saying the BA F product is little better than CW. I know which cabin I'd prefer to be in.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I smile as I read these threads. It just reinforces how elitist FT is. The majority of the people that I know will never ever sit in a CW seat, let alone a F one. It never ceases to surprise me, even after all these years, that the majority seem to be in F. Apart from those reduced to Panini and M&S sandwiches.

Plus ca change..
Not entirely sure what it is you're suggesting. The fact that flyeralk does not represent the average flying public? Yep, that is true. It's a forum for frequent travelers, so people here fly more than others, frequent flyers tend to be in the premium cabins more often, and making planes their second homes the things that impress others have worn off on the frequent flyers, instead they realise all the small differences, positive and negative.

If you're suggesting that people are complaining a lot or even too much about BA First, well I think they/we should. People pay lots of money and/or avios, expecting the product to be what it advertises and being comparable to what they have on other airlines, and then they are disapppointed. RIghtly so.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Jamier45
I've never had a problem with BA F. It does what it says on the tin and gets me from A to B safely.
Which, of course, is true of BA Y (or for that matter DY etc) at much lower costs!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Not entirely sure what it is you're suggesting. The fact that flyeralk does not represent the average flying public? Yep, that is true. It's a forum for frequent travelers, so people here fly more than others, frequent flyers tend to be in the premium cabins more often, and making planes their second homes the things that impress others have worn off on the frequent flyers, instead they realise all the small differences, positive and negative.

If you're suggesting that people are complaining a lot or even too much about BA First, well I think they/we should. People pay lots of money and/or avios, expecting the product to be what it advertises and being comparable to what they have on other airlines, and then they are disapppointed. RIghtly so.
All fair points up to the bolding, which is a silly remark. BA doesn't claim to be "the world's best first class" or even "up there with other airlines". People have the right to expect what is sold to them. Many are disappointed, not due to service failures, but unrealistic expectations.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by San Gottardo

Flyertalk is only for 'frequent flyers:?

I've been here for 11 years....no wonder I'm not popular.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Flyertalk is only for 'frequent flyers:?

I've been here for 11 years....no wonder I'm not popular.
But your cows love you
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
All fair points up to the bolding, which is a silly remark. BA doesn't claim to be "the world's best first class" or even "up there with other airlines". People have the right to expect what is sold to them. Many are disappointed, not due to service failures, but unrealistic expectations.
However, those expectations are lived up to on many other airlines for the same price you pay for the BA ticket. It's not unreasonable to expect BA to rise to the same levels for approximately the same price is it? Nowhere have I seen in any advertising that BA will offer a worse experience than others for what they charge but "you get what you pay for."
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:13 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
The outrageous practice of putting "less premium" cabins on the same aircraft, where there might be lower class oiks sharing the same air supply
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think the point for me, as someone who does a lot of client-funded J flying, is that my experience of BA F so far doesn't make me rush to shell out my own cash or Avios for an upgrade...

I find the space in CW snug but perfectly adequate (I'm 5'8 and in proportion) and most of the time I manage to bag a seat with direct aisle access. Dine on demand from a better menu and wine list is nice but not worth hundreds to me.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life, SQ PPS Club, UA Gold MM
When I was doing a lot of CW long-haul out of LHR, I'd get gate-upgraded to F maybe once in every five or six flights. But if it was a 747 and I had my usual 64A upper-deck seat, I'd turn down the upgrade and ask them to give it to someone else. Unless you're in 1A, I found the F cabin in the nose of a 747 to be way too cramped, and lacking the privacy you get in the upper deck windows. I usually skip the meals for night flights, rarely drink much if any alcohol on a plane, so none of those added F benefits were worth anything to me. And the seat seemed to be pretty much exactly what we had in CW as far as I could tell. And I wouldn't be caught dead wearing those silly pajamas on a plane or anywhere else.

So no, I never could understand why anyone would pay a premium for F on BA, until and unless the roll out they sort of F suites that Emirates pioneered.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Clack
When I was doing a lot of CW long-haul out of LHR, I'd get gate-upgraded to F maybe once in every five or six flights. But if it was a 747 and I had my usual 64A upper-deck seat, I'd turn down the upgrade and ask them to give it to someone else. Unless you're in 1A, I found the F cabin in the nose of a 747 to be way too cramped, and lacking the privacy you get in the upper deck windows. I usually skip the meals for night flights, rarely drink much if any alcohol on a plane, so none of those added F benefits were worth anything to me. And the seat seemed to be pretty much exactly what we had in CW as far as I could tell. And I wouldn't be caught dead wearing those silly pajamas on a plane or anywhere else.

So no, I never could understand why anyone would pay a premium for F on BA, until and unless the roll out they sort of F suites that Emirates pioneered.
Are you confusing airlines? There is a big difference between the First and Club World seats on BA??
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lloydah
However, those expectations are lived up to on many other airlines for the same price you pay for the BA ticket. It's not unreasonable to expect BA to rise to the same levels for approximately the same price is it? Nowhere have I seen in any advertising that BA will offer a worse experience than others for what they charge but "you get what you pay for."
I'd perhaps suggest that you go take a look around other areas of FT before suggesting that other airlines manage to live up to expectations in F. Working in a consumer facing industry, people who have unrealistic expectations will find a way to moan regardless of who they eventually use. In my experience this accounts for around 20% of the British public.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:04 am

The majority of the people that I know will never ever sit in a CW seat, let alone a F one.
Oh dear! I always thought you were dead posh and now you admit this; oh woe, what is the world coming to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.