Wiki Posts
Search

Is this really First?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Really, just ask? And they *always* do it? Sounds like that is what you are implying? Maybe hyper... well, let's not get there.

Here is what had been posted further up in this thread:

Hence my question.

My experience is the same as LTN Phobia. I have never experienced or seen others refused bedding, neither have I ever been refused or seen others refused pyjamas. Clearly it is the case that nothing can ever been absolutely guaranteed, but orbitmic has outlined the normal procedure for you too.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
My question was indeed more about whether bedding is provided for all pax also during dayflights, less about whether the crew make it. But good to hear your experience that it is usually offered by the crew and bedding seems thus to be provided.
They are available to all passengers even on a day flight, although there have been some reports of supply issues recently.

What about PJs? Because those have been refused to me two or three times in the past. Negative exception when they were refused, or positive exception when they were provided?
I have never even needed to ask for it, even on day flights - they asked me if I wanted one on every F flight. Neither have I seen anyone having had to ask for it (except extremely early after boarding, e.g. as soon as they reached their seat) or refused one, although I have seen their running out of a particular size.

If they ever had to refuse pyjamas or bedding, most likely they had a supply problem (which I believe there was a recent shortage of bedding, some sort of a cleaning supplier issue if my memory serves me) rather than crew refusing them to people for the sake of refusing them.

They do occasionally run out of sizes and that could have a consequence if you really need a large and they've run out of large, for instance. Or, they were running out of bedding for some reason and you may have seen subload people refused them, perhaps. Or a supply problem leaving them short and those who didn't ask early ended up having to go without.

If you were curious, or you were not happy about it, you could always have asked a crew member in F if the bedding/pyjamas were available for all F passengers including day flights. I'm sure they'd have told you.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 18, 2017 at 1:14 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
one of the moderators
Ouch! No!!!!! Just forum ambassador (like Tobias-UK, who has immense experience of BA F and its intricacies!)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ouch! No!!!!! Just forum ambassador (like Tobias-UK, who has immense experience of BA F and its intricacies!)
Got it ;-)

Actually just saw the post you had made prior to mine and deleted what I had wrote, you made my point very well. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I agree. Their seat is nearly identical to BA's seat on its A380. BA's bedding is less good and they don't serve [chinese] caviar. The champagne is the same. BA's food tends to be better, especially exLHR. But then you can often get BA F to HKG for less than £1000 more return than J in a sale. That never happens on CX.
Just travelled in CX F. The caviar definitely had a 'Made in Italy' stamp on the tin. If you want more detail I will dig through my phone pictures, but it's not chinese from what I saw or tasted. Travelled BA F a number of times and CX F is miles better - not really sure what you're going on about but your constant 'BA is greatest' is wide of the mark.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by renwaldo
Just travelled in CX F. The caviar definitely had a 'Made in Italy' stamp on the tin. If you want more detail I will dig through my phone pictures, but it's not chinese from what I saw or tasted. Travelled BA F a number of times and CX F is miles better - not really sure what you're going on about but your constant 'BA is greatest' is wide of the mark.
The CX F caviar has indeed been Italian for over a couple of years and the previous version was not Chinese. That said, China makes some of the best caviar in the world so that was not necessarily insulting!!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
AA forgot to load the DVD players for my CDG MIA flight. So I'm guessing IFE problems crop uo on the best of carriers.

They volunteered a $200 voucher, sent by post, and totally impossible to use.
By all means pop it back in the post with my address on it and I will make it disappear
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
I recently flew LHR-HKG-LHR in F, my first time on a flight over 7 hrs in this cabin, and also first time on a 777. Crew was very good, especially the one on LHR-HKG. Friendly, welcoming, attentive. I couldn't ask for more.

Seat was way better than CW one, even if the divider had an "old style" sort of feeling, to me. Bedding was very comfortable, and sincerely I find PJs and slippers nice too!
On 777 just toilets were not that great, very small (and w/o flowers )

Food was nice. Nothing impressive, but nice nonetheless. At least this time the pre-ordering went fine . Would be better if available also for flights to LHR.

The only "real" downside in the BA F experience has been the LHR CCR service, where no waiter came to ask for drinks in a long time and when I decided to go to the bar, the lady there seemed not that friendly.
To be honest, in 4 visits to LHR CCR (of 1hr each, more or less), we have never had a very good service. Maybe it's just bad luck but it doesn't leave a "premium" impression. On the other side, our only JFK CCR visit, a year ago, was excellent.

I am far, far away form being a F regular. I have had 1 return trip from JFK on 747 hi J/mid J (UUA), 1 one way on 380 to IAD, flying alone, (UUA) and this last one (GUF2).

Since I (obviously?) prefer F to CW I would happily try to UUA every time on BA, availability and avios permitting I would not pay directly unless price were obscenely low. At the same time, I have read too much negativity about LGW flights to want to fly from there.
Sad to say, now that I am becoming a CCR (semi)-regular, I tend to agree with the above observation.

I do like being able to crash out in a cabana, and I find the CCR restaurant food to be on a par with other LHR F lounges, but other than that I am pretty underwhelmed.

Certainly the welcome and service we got in the CX F T3 lounge on Friday night was streets ahead of my recent CCR experiences...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
We've heard this song before. Some of us have been on dozens, maybe hundreds of F sectors that exceeded expectations, likely due to great CC. Others have genuine grievances for poor service, cleanliness issues, food quality, etc. Posters on both sides are biased by their experiences, and few minds will be changed.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Right. As I am one of the older members here, I'm going to say that First today is a shadow of its former self. I have flown First Class as we used to know it, when Class was not a dirty word on TWA, American, BA, JAL, and of course BCAL.

Two of these have now gone - but I assure you that in terms of what was served back then - it is rubbish. All of it. Grief, we used to change our uniform skirts for long skirts for dinner service at BCAL. Our Champagne was Krug. We served caviar - grief I got sick of it we carried so much. We carved the Chateaubriand at seat side. Lobster was commonplace. The cheese came from Paxton and Whatsit in Jermyn St (the Stilton was simply the best that I have ever eaten). Duck was served very often.

Look at it now - all preplated and at AA served by Zombies (LAX-LHR). No, there were no beds, no duvets (so no shenningans like that little tart in the TFTG), no choice of film (no IFE) but after that lot. If you could see the china, it looks like it came from a charity shop. "Our Research (God Help us) told us that you didn't want this as you wanted lighter food. I don't remember anyone admitting to having told BA and all the rest such a thing, but there it is. Nowadays every time I go on BA.com I get an email asking me to rate my experience.

I'm only saying this because, you are paying so much less for it, all proportion retained than it cost back then. Of course it is a lot of money, but then it was really people with money who were there. A lot of this is BCAL based but it was much the same at BA when I got there. So - I fear that the whole airline industry forgot the word 'yield'. I might add the crew were treated a d*mn sight better then as well.

So - I can only say to you that nowadays the excellence has gone and the poor crew have to make the best with what is left. I often thing that what is served in F used to be what we used to serve in J - and what is served in J is what used to be served on one tray in Y. That is a bit of an exaggeration I admit - but only a bit.

What I do not understand is why people get so angry and defensive about it all.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Right. As I am one of the older members here, I'm going to say that First today is a shadow of its former self. I have flown First Class as we used to know it, when Class was not a dirty word on TWA, American, BA, JAL, and of course BCAL.

Large +1 all round!

There appears to be a very strong correlation over time between improvement in onboard hard product and degradation in onboard soft product in premium cabins on (almost) all carriers. Whether this reflects what passengers actually want is up for debate, I suppose.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Many thanks, PUCCI. ^
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:54 am

Exactly.

Still they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by rocketship87
We've heard this song before. Some of us have been on dozens, maybe hundreds of F sectors that exceeded expectations, likely due to great CC. Others have genuine grievances for poor service, cleanliness issues, food quality, etc. Posters on both sides are biased by their experiences, and few minds will be changed.
+1 bang on, it's a shame some refuse to believe others' experiences even when they're not exactly unique, or try to undermine their credibility with statements like 'you obviously don't fly in F much.' when they actually know nothing about the person's travel patterns.

I guess what it suggests is a rather inconsistent product if experiences vary so much. I'm not sure why some get so defensive about a corporation that only cares about you as far as it can extract cash from you, but there you go.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
The cheese came from Paxton and Whatsit in Jermyn St (the Stilton was simply the best that I have ever eaten).

Paxton & Whitfield in Jermyn Street - still going strong.

I quite often ask them to trim off 2 or 3 pieces from larger purchases and take them on board with me. If travelling economy, that also usually requires me to 'borrow' a knife from the lounge but I always leave it on my tray so I am not permanently depriving BA of anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.