Wiki Posts
Search

Tier points from Oneworld partners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Tier points from Oneworld partners

OK, just want to confirm something relating to tier and Avios from oneworld partners.

My understanding is that even with absolutely no BA element in a booking/ticket/flights, Avios and Tier points are still awarded if you're flying with a Oneworld partner, right? (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...odeshares.html)

For instance, thinking about booking with Qatar directly - from ARN > DOH > HND. Both Stockholm to Doha and subsequent Doha to Tokyo flights are Qatar code flights.

But, as long as I pop my BAEC number into the booking details, I should still get credited with 280 tier points and some Avios? (BA's Avios/Tier calculator says Business on both flights are worth 140 each).

Finally - are points recognised when the flight takes place, or when they're actually awarded? I ask because the flights take place on 4th and 5th August, but my membership year ends 8th August!!!

Cheers!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Correct. As long as the flight is oneworld marketed and operated in an eligible fare class you will earn TPs/avios. TPs count for the scheduled departure in local time.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-edition.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StanYau
OK, just want to confirm something relating to tier and Avios from oneworld partners.

My understanding is that even with absolutely no BA element in a booking/ticket/flights, Avios and Tier points are still awarded if you're flying with a Oneworld partner, right? (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...odeshares.html)

For instance, thinking about booking with Qatar directly - from ARN > DOH > HND. Both Stockholm to Doha and subsequent Doha to Tokyo flights are Qatar code flights.

But, as long as I pop my BAEC number into the booking details, I should still get credited with 280 tier points and some Avios? (BA's Avios/Tier calculator says Business on both flights are worth 140 each).

Finally - are points recognised when the flight takes place, or when they're actually awarded? I ask because the flights take place on 4th and 5th August, but my membership year ends 8th August!!!
Yes, you'll get the 280 in the current membership year. Points may take a week to show up in your account. Double-check if the number is printed on your boarding pass, QR computers sometimes "lose" the number.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes you do earn. And then flights credit with the date they are taken.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
My understanding is that the points and avios are awarded to your BA account but the flight itself is not an eligible flight for BAEC status. You still need 4 BA flights to get Silver even if you get 600 TPs from partner airlines. Please correct me if this is not how it actually works.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
My understanding is that the points and avios are awarded to your BA account but the flight itself is not an eligible flight for BAEC status. You still need 4 BA flights to get Silver even if you get 600 TPs from partner airlines. Please correct me if this is not how it actually works.

Yep no silver status unless you take 4 BA Operated or Marketed(BA flight number) or Iberia Operated and Marketed(IB flight number).

It says or for IB on the app but a Vueling flight with an IB code won't earn BA tier/avios so don't think it would count as an eligible sector.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
My understanding is that the points and avios are awarded to your BA account but the flight itself is not an eligible flight for BAEC status. You still need 4 BA flights to get Silver even if you get 600 TPs from partner airlines.
This is correct, although there's a slightly wider set of flights that will count for qualification for status:-
  • [*]
  • [*]

In each case, that flight counts as one of the four provided that it also earns something in BAEC.

More in this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27687626-post4.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by StanYau
are points recognised when the flight takes place, or when they're actually awarded? I ask because the flights take place on 4th and 5th August, but my membership year ends 8th August!!!
If you are close to some TP threshold then things can go wrong because of this delay. eg you have 2400 TP on 4th of august but the points don't post until after the 8th. You would not automatically get the gold upgrade voucher since the TP balance is reset on the 8th and by the time the TP arrive in your account you no longer cross the 2500 threshold.

In this case you have to contact BAEC and explain the situation and they manually add the voucher.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
True, but that's not what the OP was asking.

My understanding is that even with absolutely no BA element in a booking/ticket/flights, Avios and Tier points are still awarded if you're flying with a Oneworld partner, right?
He was just asking about this "trip", a concept that doesn't really exist in BAEC.

But in case that he still doesn't have the four "eligible" segments yet, he still has plenty of time until August. Shouldn't be too difficult to do from ARN.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Ideal, cheers for the replies!

I'm on BAEC Silver myself, and unlikely to hit Gold unless I get strategic with some tier runs... However, was asking for a travel buddy, who is on BA Blue just now with 290 points (all on BA flights), and with a 180 point trip to Moscow in May and a 280 point trip to Japan should see him through to Silver just before membership years end 8th Aug.

Funnily, though, the first 290 points were accumulated on flights that took place in July last year. I'd have thought those wouldn't have qualified for this membership year, but if the tier points for those flights are showing in this membership year then I assume that the matching flights count towards the required 4+ BA code flights needed to qualify for Silver.

Anyway - cheers again for the info. Getting into the swing of this tier points lark!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.