Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread - Earning Miles and Tier Points on partners and codeshares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Guide to earning miles and Tier Points on partners, codeshares and partner codeshares

This is a little complex, so please do take the time to read through this thread. Hopefully we've covered all combinations and the reality but if you've experienced something different please do post away.

There are two key concepts

1. The flight number. This can be the airline operating the plane (e.g. the BA009 from LHR to BKK and on to SYD) or that of a codesharing airline (in this case QF) who sell seats on the BA009 as the QF302

2. The operating carrier (or metal). That is the airline who actually operate the plan. In the example above, that is BA.

Applying that, the following scenarios are possible:

BA flight number, BA operated plane. You earn miles and TP's for a BA flight as per ba.com .and the BA Board dashboard

BA flight number, oneWorld partner operated plane. You earn miles and TP's for a BA flight as per ba.com and the Dashboard for a BA flight

BA flight number, BA partner airline (partner in this case means a non-OW member e.g. Meridian, some flyBe flights). You earn as per a BA flight.

OneWorld airline flight number, BA domestic flight TPs+miles according to OW booking class used, so business class TPs + miles if it's a business class fare, even though it's a one-class cabin

BA partner airline flight number, BA partner metal. You earn as per ba.com and the Dashboard but typically would receive miles ONLY and no tier points.

BA partner airline flight number, BA metal You earn as per ba.com for the Partner, however the flight does count towards the 4 BA metal flights needed to obtain status

BA partner airline flight number, non-BA partner metal. Zip, nothing, nada on EC. Look at other FFP's.

oneWorld partner. You earn miles and TP's as per ba.com and the Dashboard for the relevant partner. As an example, a Cathay Pacific (CX) flight will not earn you any status bonus and the class of service bonus is lower (25% for J, 50% for F).

oneWorld partner, oneWorld partner operated plane. You earn miles and tier points as per the flight number you have bought. So if you bought a CX flight number on AA metal, you'd earn as per a CX flight.

oneWorld partner, non-oneWorld airline e.g. a CX flight number on MH. You earn nothing on ba.com. The rule is that both the flight number and the metal have to be in oneWorld to earn. Some have successfully had miles and TP's awarded in this instance but that is the exception and very much not the rule.

So, what I have missed? Any Questions?

Last edited by Swanhunter; Jul 25, 2011 at 11:53 am Reason: add valuable member contributions
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
One world partner, franchise type thingy? I thinking of Alaska/Horizon and AA in particular, you do earn miles but not TPs
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
What happens if you have a OneWorld partner ticket (IB) for a flight on BA metal (IB4637 => BA209, LHR-MIA), and are BA Gold?

I was looking at prices the other day and the IB ticket was 2300GBP while on BA it was 4500GBP, same flight, same plane, both D class ticket (for purpose of restrictions). With the price difference, which ticket to buy is a no brainer, but nice to know what it does for points and miles...

Thanks,
RP
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dnajockey
One world partner, franchise type thingy? I thinking of Alaska/Horizon and AA in particular, you do earn miles but not TPs
Where it is a subsidiary (e.g Horizon with AS, Eagle with AA) it is treated liked the parent airline.

Originally Posted by RichP
What happens if you have a OneWorld partner ticket (IB) for a flight on BA metal (IB4637 => BA209, LHR-MIA), and are BA Gold?

I was looking at prices the other day and the IB ticket was 2300GBP while on BA it was 4500GBP, same flight, same plane, both D class ticket (for purpose of restrictions). With the price difference, which ticket to buy is a no brainer, but nice to know what it does for points and miles...

Thanks,
RP
Flight number is what counts so you will earn as per an IB flight. You may get lucky and have it post as BA (I did, once, a long long time ago with AY) but don't expect it.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I got TPs and miles on Dragonair metal bought as CX codeshare. Not sure if everyone knows that Dragonair is CX for all OW intents and purposes.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I got TPs and miles on Dragonair metal bought as CX codeshare. Not sure if everyone knows that Dragonair is CX for all OW intents and purposes.
Yes , maybe this one can be useful too.
On the right side of the eligible subsidiaries is the flight prefix that your ticket should have (if not code-share) in order to be eligible for miles/TPs.

American Airlines
Eligible subsidiaries include:

American Eagle - AA
American Connection -AA

Cathay Pacific

Dragonair - KA

Iberia

Air Nostrum - IB

Japan Airlines

JAL Express - JC
J Air - JL
Japan Transocean - NU

LAN

LAN Argentina
LAN Ecuador
LAN Peru

Mexicana

MexicanaClick - MX
MexicanaLink - MX

Qantas

QantasLink - QF
Jetconnect - QF

S7

Globus

Last edited by potakas; Jun 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm Reason: Added Jetconnect
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Or you could just provide a link to this page that includes the complete list of affiliate airlines.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/member-ai...ine-affiliates
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Moomba
Or you could just provide a link to this page that includes the complete list of affiliate airlines.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/member-ai...ine-affiliates
As I don't make the BAEC rules I assume that all those things are on ba.com

I tried to put those together in order to have them here as it seems to be a useful thread.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by potakas
As I don't make the BAEC rules I assume that all those things are on ba.com

I tried to put those together in order to have them here as it seems to be a useful thread.
The problem with listing them is that they may not necessarily be kept up to date. The OW link should always reflect reality. You are already 2 airlines short in your list (Jetconnect for QF and Lan Express).
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Moomba
The problem with listing them is that they may not necessarily be kept up to date. The OW link should always reflect reality. You are already 2 airlines short in your list (Jetconnect for QF and Lan Express).
See your point.

Lan express doesn't seem to earn miles on BAEC
I added the Jetconnect.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_gb
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
So, what I have missed? Any Questions?
OneWorld airline flight number + BA domestic flight = TPs+miles according to OW booking class used, so business class TPs + miles if it's a business class fare, even though it's a one-class cabin.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA.com says it takes up to 28 days for miles to post from partner flights.
I'd be interested to know from the experience of others how long it normally takes? I'm waiting on some TPs from Malev to post.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22
BA.com says it takes up to 28 days for miles to post from partner flights.
I'd be interested to know from the experience of others how long it normally takes? I'm waiting on some TPs from Malev to post.
With Malev I had a very bad experience, after many phone calls I gave up.

Last edited by potakas; Jun 15, 2011 at 2:24 am
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by britbronco22
I'm waiting on some TPs from Malev to post.

It's a bit of a standing joke round here.

You don't get TPs from Malev flights without:
1) Re-submitting your claim 27 times
2) Providing photographic and DNA evidence that you were really on the plane
3) Undertaking a lie detector test and supplying the results to BAEC
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, I'll update shortly.

FWIW 5 of my 6 MA flights posted correctly, first time, in a week. The sixth took a call to fix. I am charmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.