Wiki Posts
Search

A Personal View

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I didn't realise emotions ran that high.
headingwest when you need him?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think another option that is supposed to be the rule here on FT is the "Report Post" button to alert the Mods when one feels that the post was outside the FT TOS. At the end of the day, they are the ones who decide what constitutes violations of FT TOS. I would think that goes for direct messages as well.
The problem with this is that the poor mods then get alerted hundreds of posts per day, which they have to look at and deal with.

There are certain FT members who constantly press the RBP button for anything they perceive as off topic or annoying. I was once told who the worst offender is - and it didn't surprise me in the slightest
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well I have never pressed it been warned or suspended so it is possible to speak your mind and let others do the same.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:55 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The problem with this is that the poor mods then get alerted hundreds of posts per day, which they have to look at and deal with.

Whilst that's potentially true, we would much rather keep threads open with reasoned debate taking place than have no option but to close them down due to multiple rule breaches, so we'd always prefer to receive an alert rather than have to deal with a situation that spirals out of control because of an ill-considered response triggering a verbal war.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

There are certain FT members who constantly press the RBP button for anything they perceive as off topic or annoying. I was once told who the worst offender is - and it didn't surprise me in the slightest
The RBP button should be got rid of if you ask me. Then again, I would say that.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:05 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
The RBP button should be got rid of if you ask me. Then again, I would say that.
No, it should be there "for emergency use only". If people use it too often for trivial things, they should be sent to stand on the naughty step.

I've used it maybe 5 times. Generally due to some racist comment or similar. Never because I disagree with something, or because somebody was annoying me.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Can't agree with this one either. I'm sure you're not seriously suggesting that the "victim" should walk away. That would be a charter for boorish behaviour. Hypothetically, if someone with mental health issues gets a hard time on here, should they be bullied into leaving? Should they withdraw from every interaction that ends in being hassled? Where should they withdraw to? Complete isolation? I'm sure you wouldn't treat someone in that position in the same way face to face (if only because it is illegal), so advocating it online would be most insensitive.
I simply advocate an individual quit any situation where he/she (a) feels threatened, vulnerable (b) is not in any way in control (b) can exit at nil cost.

I can't see that any benefit accrues from continuing a discussion that has got out of hand.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP

Oh oh, does anyone else feel an approaching closure?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I simply advocate an individual quit any situation where he/she (a) feels threatened, vulnerable (b) is not in any way in control (b) can exit at nil cost.

I can't see that any benefit accrues from continuing a discussion that has got out of hand.
I've often thought 'perspective' is often lacking on some threads, but it's not confined to FT!

All I will say is that the internet is a very wide space where people from all walks of life / backgrounds can post. Different people respond to things in a multitude of ways depending on their personal circumstances, so whilst ignoring a post (or a poster - you certainly used to be able to set FT up to filter out posts by specific handles, haven't tried to use that for years) and moving on may seem sensible to you or me, some people do seem never to quit - we have no way of knowing who these people are or what else they have / have not got going on, but over the years I've seen people get really wound up. Unfortunately, it sounds as though, just as in 'real life', there are people out there who 'bait' 'vulnerable' people either on forum or via PM. Very sad really in my view.

Certainly an interesting thread.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by HMPS

Oh oh, does anyone else feel an approaching closure?
Hear! Hear!

This thread has deteriorated into the very tribalism that the OP was condemning with some pointing the finger at those supposedly pro-BA and others at those supposedly against.

OT I know but akin to football supporters or now whose on one side of the Brexit argument. With that frame of mind, logic, facts and the direct experience of others matters for nothing. My side right or wrong, win at all costs, is the mentality.

If that is how the board is going, good luck; I won't be reading or contributing any more. However, if we can get beyond that, and return to discussions that are civilised, polite, fact-based and accepting of alternative views, then that would be much for the better.

And, if it doesn't contradict that ethos, perhaps those who are minded take their airline business elsewhere, might like to subscribe to another forum if they can't abide people disagreeing with their wisdom. Same with anyone who can't bear to hear BA criticised BTW.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Hear! Hear!

This thread has deteriorated into the very tribalism that the OP was condemning with some pointing the finger at those supposedly pro-BA and others at those supposedly against.

OT I know but akin to football supporters or now whose on one side of the Brexit argument. With that frame of mind, logic, facts and the direct experience of others matters for nothing. My side right or wrong, win at all costs, is the mentality.

If that is how the board is going, good luck; I won't be reading or contributing any more. However, if we can get beyond that, and return to discussions that are civilised, polite, fact-based and accepting of alternative views, then that would be much for the better.

And, if it doesn't contradict that ethos, perhaps those who are minded take their airline business elsewhere, might like to subscribe to another forum if they can't abide people disagreeing with their wisdom. Same with anyone who can't bear to hear BA criticised BTW.
I'm sorry but I don't see that. I think we're having an interesting, civil discussion.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
so whilst ignoring a post (or a poster - you certainly used to be able to set FT up to filter out posts by specific handles, haven't tried to use that for years)
Yes, you can set preferences to ignore a particular poster and their posts don't show up in the thread. There will just be a placeholder that says "This message is hidden because XXXX is on your ignore list" If someone else quotes the content of the message posted by the person on ignore it is visible in the later post.

I think I only have 3 people on my ignore list across all of FT, 2 of which have subsequently been banned and I'm surprised that third hasn't been banned yet.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
I would just like to throw in a slightly different perspective on this.

For my sins, I am a moderator on a football club supporters website (better not say which club but I will cough that it is a London one). We have a separate section for away supporters to 'come and have a go' and we expect the usual football 'banter' in that section. For the rest of the forum, members are exclusively club supporters and if we detect a non-supporter posting abuse in other sections they are usually red-carded. Therefore the vast bulk of our membership are all fans of the same club.

Despite that, we have exactly the kind of issues you have been discussing on this thread - personal abuse, trolling, lack of respect etc. And if you think FT is bad, let me assure you that it is still one of the most erudite, reasonable and (relatively) polite forums you will find.

I don't say that to excuse any bad behavior at all - we all have room for improvement - but FT remains an excellent forum and the vast majority of posts on this topic are proof of that.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dmsmith70
I would just like to throw in a slightly different perspective on this.

For my sins, I am a moderator on a football club supporters website (better not say which club but I will cough that it is a London one). We have a separate section for away supporters to 'come and have a go' and we expect the usual football 'banter' in that section. For the rest of the forum, members are exclusively club supporters and if we detect a non-supporter posting abuse in other sections they are usually red-carded. Therefore the vast bulk of our membership are all fans of the same club.

Despite that, we have exactly the kind of issues you have been discussing on this thread - personal abuse, trolling, lack of respect etc. And if you think FT is bad, let me assure you that it is still one of the most erudite, reasonable and (relatively) polite forums you will find.

I don't say that to excuse any bad behavior at all - we all have room for improvement - but FT remains an excellent forum and the vast majority of posts on this topic are proof of that.
That's a very interesting perspective. FT is the only forum I am involved in, although I often read the comments on stories at ESPN.com and wow - rude, racist and then it goes downhill from there. I imagine there is always tension among supporters when things aren't going well.

I think in the BA Forum, most if not all of the detractors want to see BA succeed as much as those in your football team forum.

I think most of the BA detractors would simply like clean planes, a schedule of refurbishments to replace things before they get to look like they are in second-hand store, reduction of redemption fees, at least for elites, some soft benefits in CE Y and less nickel and diming in the premium cabins - a more robust Club Kitchen, Bistro Menu in F, better customer service response, etc. and then save the flower in the lavatory.

The BA spin gets a bit egregious, particularly flat out untruths about things like BOB pricing vs. LCCs. Certainly, I respect that both DL and UA management have been upfront in stating that they cut back on the product too deeply and now need to work to offer a better product.

It would also be nice if management did a better job fostering better relations with cabin crew and other front line employees. If you look at DL and UA their senior management spends a good deal of time down on the ramp, even on holidays. Perhaps they too view employees as an expense on the spreadsheet, but they at least do a much better job pretending they value them, and IMO BA cabin crew are one of its strongest assets against competition with increasingly better hard products.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rocketship87
I generally agree with your sentiment. It certainly seems as though some posters believe that paying 2000 pounds for a long-haul flight entitles them to the kind of service you would receive on a private jet. I think some people forget that IAG is a publicly traded company, primarily concerned with the bottom line. The outrage over BOB is a prominent example; I was shocked at the emotional response to the removal of a free G&T. I just can't understand why someone would rather connect through hell aka CDG than pay for drinks onboard, but such is the power of resistance to change.

I have to say, it is funny that you say the forum has become too much about personal opinion while ending the post with 'just a personal view'.
It does entitle them to compare it to what the competition offers for £2000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.